Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
It's to the point where sometime soon both heads are going to have to come off due to worn valve guides. The valves have never been adjusted and are clatering pretty good, one day I remember adding 3 quarts of oil at one time to bring oil level into hash marks. either way just doing a valve adjustment I highly doubt will fix the oil burning.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
...either way just doing a valve adjustment I highly doubt will fix the oil burning.
Yes that's for sure, any more than having a wheel alignment will fix a loose ball joint. :D

Seriously though, removing the valve covers (especially the pesky rear one) to do a valve adjustment would be well on the way to removing the heads. I would pull the heads, replace the oil seals, and then adjust the valves.

I once knew a tech who could replace the valve stem oil seals without removing the heads (small block Chevy V8). It involved injecting compressed air into the cylinders to keep the valves closed. Not sure if this would work on a J35, but maybe something to research...

Dave

·
Registered
542 Posts
Excellent suggestion, I too used to lose about a quart of oil every 3 or 4 months until I recently, a few days ago, replaced a clogged PCV valve. As you point out, I am going to try to open the throttle body and see if there is any goo collected there and try to clean it up.

I'm at a little over that mileage on my '99 with no problems like that.

One idea though - I know you say the PCV system is working fine, but on mine, a couple of times I had IACV problems. After fixing those by cleaning, I've concluded that the root cause is an oil bath / tar pit that accumulates in the bottom of the intake manifold (which I can only assume is from the PCV system). At some point, this goo migrates past the throttle body into the IACV, causing it to clog, requiring cleaning or replacement.

Maybe you're lucky in not having the IACV issues, or maybe you fixed that without finding the oil bath / tar pit. But you might still have all that oil in there, and maybe under some conditions it gets into the cylinders and gets burned.

If so, you can maybe take a quick look by taking off the throttle body to get a look / feel inside the intake manifold. Or you could just remove it. Very easy to clean the intake manifold thoroughly if you fully remove it. Spec says to replace the intake manifold gasket when replacing, which I did. But it's a metal gasket, and I would not be surprised if re-using it works fine.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Capture.jpg

There seem to be a few gaskets. Which ones are easy enough to be replaced when opening the intake manifold to clear up goo that leaked from the PCV valve over the years? I guess I would know if I open the manifold but Id like to order the parts before I do that.

·
Registered
7,361 Posts
The only gaskets that you need to be concerned with are the pair of #5's and the single #11.

A few of our Odyclubbers have simply re-used the gaskets with no issues noticed. Me? At the very least I replace #11.

OF

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi My 04 Odyssey has a little over 222,000 miles on it with original transmission. I was wondering if there was a significant known problems with 3.5 burning oil at extended idling time? Is this normal at this mileage? idling from 5-20 min seems to be recreatable every time. are there any known factors such as rings wearing out oor valves seeping? Or do i just have the case of bad luck. There is absolutely no blow by out of the crankcase and the PCV system is working as it should. Once you drive it hard enough iit will clear up and burn clean until idling in park. Also The smoke that's exciting the tailpipe neither smells like coolant or oil and has a strong smell as if there is plastic, however evidence of low on oil only leads me to believe its burning oil. all of the mechanics I have been to are startled just by the smell. There are no fault codes or drivability complaints.

Please let me know if there are any contributing factors that can cause this.
Thanks
Finnegan
My 08 does this. Sounds like lifter tap, then you take off in a cloud of oil smoke.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
It's to the point where sometime soon both heads are going to have to come off due to worn valve guides.
The problem may be just deteriorated valve stem seals, rather than worn valve guides. The former is a relatively "easy" fix, while the latter is probably a job for a machine shop.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
My 08 does this. Sounds like lifter tap, then you take off in a cloud of oil smoke.
Exhaust smoke from leaking valve seals is often seen during or after an extended idle.

The engine intake (throttle body to cylinder section) has its highest vacuum at idle. This vacuum can suck oil into the cylinder through any compromised parts (e.g. valve stem seals, gaskets, etc.)

The sound you mentioned probably indicates that it needs a valve adjustment. This job is obviously also in the valve area, but is unrelated to the smoking.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts