Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '03 leaks lots of oil that falls on the exhaust and gives a heavy burnt oil smell. Haven't found it yet but haven't looked real hard either. Is the most likely place it's coming from is valve cover gaskets? How hard are they to get to to tighten the covers. Also how hard to replace the seals? Is this a good assumption of were the oil is coming from?

·
Registered
226 Posts
I've got a similar problem but so far have not been able to find where it is leaking. Probably doesn't matter much, not worth fixing in most cases. It seems to leak on the driver's side near the front, but that could just be the way it runs down the frame. I guess the burning should be a clue that it must be high up on the engine to run down on the hot parts. Do we have forum knowledge of what the most common loeak is? On my 89 Integra it was a head gasket deterioration so maybe the Odys have the same issue?

·
Registered
680 Posts
Rather than assume, it might be a good idea to clean and degrease the engine. Then after a short drive it should become apparent where the leak is coming from. Better to diagnose the problem instead of throwing parts & gaskets & seals at it.

·
Registered
661 Posts
"Leaks lots of oil". OK. Get some rags, and clean up as much as you can. Then, Get on top/under, flashlight, and crawl around. That is how you "find" the leak. You have to get your hands "dirty".....Then, you can figure out, the next step.
ie. Take it to mechanic, Fix it yourself :) , Live with it.:mad:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Took care of the leak, added "Blue Devil Rear Main Seal Additive" and removed the synthetic oil I've been using for years and put in 20-50 conventional oil. Works for me

·
Super Moderator
13,504 Posts
20 - 50? Wow.

·
Registered
139 Posts
20 - 50? Wow.
20W-50 for when you no longer care about your vehicle that specifies a 20/30 weight. This is why I don’t buy used vehicles, take care of them and keep them forever.

·
Registered
661 Posts
OP. Great, you fixed your oil leak ! (y) Let us know, when you start "hearing" noises coming from your valve train area.
That high of a viscosity, may starve lubrication at start up, in critical engine areas.(n) Good luck.
Thanks, for letting us know your solution. :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Glad to see that I’m not the only one that succumbs to sarcasm😂

·
Registered
271 Posts
Do we have forum knowledge of what the most common leak is?
For 2nd Gen Odysseys:
First, replace the PCV valve and grommet.
Second, known oil leaks include the following:
Valve Cover Bolts/Washers
Gasket, V-TEC Solenoid Base
Filter Assembly, Spool Valve
O-ring, Switch Assembly, Valve Timing Oil Pressure
Switch, Oil Pressure
Rear Main Seal
Main Bearing Cap Side Bolts

·
Registered
154 Posts
And the oil pump leaks too...It's sealed to the block with RTV silicon. There's a rubber o-ring type seal between the pump and block.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The '03 van has 160k miles on it. It rattles like a coffee can of bolts. I've offered my wife a newer vehicle but she likes the van. As long as it doesn't have Transmission or AC problems I guess we'll keep it. It is a nice, box on wheels w/ the 3rd row seat down and the middle 2 removed. Just replaced the radiator last weekend, not a huge job, just time consuming.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts