Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I was on my way home when my 2010 Ody started shaking. It felt as if I was riding on a rough surface along with potentially having a flat tire. Turns out my tires weren't flat, but I smelt a burning smell from the back of the car near the rear tires.
As I was backing my car out of the garage, I noticed the emergency brake was on. Fortunately, I only drove about 3 miles with them on, but am wondering if I did any damage? I'm also concerned that I did not see the "Brake" warning light on, hoping that I didn't simply see it at the time.
Later in the evening, I took it again for a test drive, and confirmed that the ride was smooth once again, no burning smell, and the "brake" warning light turns on when I push the emergency brake pedal down.
Any comments as to what I should do moving forward are greatly appreciated. The vehicle has 28.5k miles on it, and besides changing the air cabin filter, I'm current on its maintenance. Thanks in advance, Arun

·
Registered
7,649 Posts
Your parking brake is a conventional drum setup. The center hat of your rear brake disks serves as the drums for the parking brake, and there are some small shoes in there.

The car should drive just fine...but your really did a scorch job on the parking brake pads and drum. The only way to get peace of mind on this is to remove the wheels, pull the rear disks, and take a look.

I'm not saying that they're damaged beyond being safely serviceable, but that burning smell was from decomposing brake pad material on those parking brake shoes.

OF

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I'd agree the parking brake was the cause, and would propose it may potentially have caused more than parking brake pad damage. The brake disk and hub probably got terribly hot during your short ride, and I'd be a bit concerned about having wrecked the bearing seals or grease. Its probably fine, though.

Not that it helps you now, but I make a point of applying the parking brake pretty hard, so that I'll notice the amount of extra drag when trying to move the van.

Notably the procedure(at least for a 2002) for putting in new parking brake shoes or new rear rotors involves driving around with the parking brake lightly applied and/or stopping the van with only the parking brake several times, to properly mate the shoes with the rotors.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Excellent points, and big thanks to you both! The car is driving well, but I wholeheartedly agree that I need to take it in to see if it needs additional service.

Thanks again,
Arun

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Not sure I'd take it in for any service, if the parking brake is still holding the van in place okayy. I think I'd just keep it in mind for when the bearings start making bad noises at less than their expected lifespan.

I'm pretty sure that the wheel bearings in all odys(1999-2010) are sealed and pretty hard to access. It'll cost as much to look at them as it would to replace them, and looking probably won't tell you much about them. On the 1999-2002, the rear hub and bearing are sold as a unit.

Translation... wait for the bearings to fail.

·
Registered
7,649 Posts
Not going back on what I said, but I tend to agree with SuperDad. Back in the day (way back), with older brake pad compositions, if you really overheated the brakes, upon visual inspections you might expect to see cracks all over the surface of the brake shoes (we're talking drums here). I've seen this.

However, over the years (many), brake component manufacturers have improved these items...a lot. That kind of visible damage just doesn't happen much anymore, if at all on passenger cars. As well, it's your parking brake, not the brakes you use to drive your car. In short, I agree again with Dad...do they still work? If so, if it were me, I'd still use them, as is.

My Mom did this on her new Lexus LS400, but not just 3 miles...a long trip across city and back with the parking brake stoutly engaged and complaining bitterly to my Dad (a SuperDad in his own right) that the car was "driving funny". That was many years ago (when the LS400 first came to market), and it's still on the original OEM pads with no bearing noise or any hint of what my Mom put that car through.

Regarding the bearings...if it were me, I'd still drive it. Come to think of it, as pointed out by Dad, not much sense in a dealer visit. They won't be able to tell you much. Given the reliability of these components, even after all this, they may still outlast the rest of the car.

Hope that helps...two older Ody owners / shadetree mechanics who agree on the big points.

OF

·
Registered
97 Posts
Not going back on what I said, but I tend to agree with SuperDad. Back in the day (way back), with older brake pad compositions, if you really overheated the brakes, upon visual inspections you might expect to see cracks all over the surface of the brake shoes (we're talking drums here). I've seen this.

However, over the years (many), brake component manufacturers have improved these items...a lot. That kind of visible damage just doesn't happen much anymore, if at all on passenger cars. As well, it's your parking brake, not the brakes you use to drive your car. In short, I agree again with Dad...do they still work? If so, if it were me, I'd still use them, as is.

My Mom did this on her new Lexus LS400, but not just 3 miles...a long trip across city and back with the parking brake stoutly engaged and complaining bitterly to my Dad (a SuperDad in his own right) that the car was "driving funny". That was many years ago (when the LS400 first came to market), and it's still on the original OEM pads with no bearing noise or any hint of what my Mom put that car through.

Regarding the bearings...if it were me, I'd still drive it. Come to think of it, as pointed out by Dad, not much sense in a dealer visit. They won't be able to tell you much. Given the reliability of these components, even after all this, they may still outlast the rest of the car.

Hope that helps...two older Ody owners / shadetree mechanics who agree on the big points.

OF
Off topic..but don't you just love the LS400?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts