Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there! I hope someone can tell me what's going on. I bought a pre-owned 2010 Ody with 339000kms on it. It drives smooth and the shifting of the tranny is great. Just noticed that after few short trips, there's this burning smell on the engine bay (passenger side). Please enlighten me fellas.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
What does the burning smell like there are alot of different scents that the car can make are you leaking any fluid and drips after you park for awhile.?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It like burning rubber. I couldn't tell if there's drip on my parking spot as we are now freezing in Winnipeg.

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
But no visible leak under the chassis
Valve cover is near the top of engine not bottom.
Valve cover gaskets may leak and the oil will burn on the hot cats. Check every part of the engine for any leaks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Valve cover is near the top of engine not bottom.
Valve cover gaskets may leak and the oil will burn on the hot cats. Check every part of the engine for any leaks.
Thanks for the advice. I'll bring it to my mechanic for inspection.

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I'll bring it to my mechanic for inspection.
That or you can remove the engine cover and get a flash light and check for leaks.

Also check the belts, they can also cause a burning smell if they are for some reason not spinning right.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
That or you can remove the engine cover and get a flash light and check for leaks.

Also check the belts, they can also cause a burning smell if they are for some reason not spinning right.
That's what I thought.. the smell comes near the timing belt. The belt was changed in 275000 kms, the van has 339400 kms now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts