Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No WAY!! My beautiful Ody..

*sniff*

All this talk about the rear spoiler made me a little concerned; last time I washed it a few days ago it was fine but I went out tonight to check it again and..

SAY IT AINT SO!!

It looks like a damn cobweb; what happened? Had this forum not been around I would have been convinced someone hit it with something...I took such good care of her too. Why has she deserted me this way? Seeing as how the epi-center of the spiderweb is smack dab on the sprayer eyelet; it appears when that was drilled it compromised the integrity of the whole spoiler. This looks terrible!

Guess I'll be calling the local dealers to see who's the most cheerful about replacing this. Anything to ask/look out for?

Are the replacement spoilers any better or do I have this to look forward to every 3 months?

[This message has been edited by nyvram (edited 08-28-2001).]

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I had mine replaced, no problem, and the new one looked a little more "solid" around the nozzle hole than the old one. However, this has been going on for so long that I don't know whether they've been reengineered or not.

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes on FotoTime.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
What's this about problems getting the warranty replacement piece painted??

If it came on the car painted, the warranty replacement piece darn well better be painted.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you read what Mel wrote about the 02 Spoiler having an LED brakelight? Maybe I'll let the cracked spoiler 'ride' for a few months & see if maybe Honda will start replacing them with the 02 ones...

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
So, why do I care how the spoiler comes from the factory?

I bought it as an attached piece of the car, painted. If it has a manufacturing defect, the warranty will cover replacing it--painted and all.

Right?

I mean, what if a fender had a manufacturing defect? Would you accept an unfinished fender as a replacement?

No way would I accept an unpainted spoiler as a replacement. No way would I pay out of my own pocket to get it painted.

·
Registered
254 Posts
i have never seen a painted spoiler.

------------------
2000 lx,fern grey,remote starter, single disc cd player,roof rack with cross rails, bra, hidden hitch,csa 5 spoke alloy wheels,15% film over oem privacy glass and artic alpine tires on the oem steel wheels.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, you're confused Adam. What Chuck meant when he said 'it comes unpainted from the factory' is that *NO* spoilers that come on any Ody from 99-01 are painted. I know that HY painted his (see his pics in the 'for sale' forum) but no one else that has an Ody has a painted spoiler unless they took it somewhere and had it painted.

Considering how fragile these are; it doesn't seem worth the risk to paint it & then have it crack becuase you'd have to accept a black one as a replacement & bring it back to the person to paint again (more $$$).

·
Registered
127 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nyvram:
Yes, you're confused Adam. What Chuck meant when he said 'it comes unpainted from the factory' is that *NO* spoilers that come on any Ody from 99-01 are painted. I know that HY painted his (see his pics in the 'for sale' forum) but no one else that has an Ody has a painted spoiler unless they took it somewhere and had it painted.

Considering how fragile these are; it doesn't seem worth the risk to paint it & then have it crack becuase you'd have to accept a black one as a replacement & bring it back to the person to paint again (more $$$).
</font>
Does anyone know if Honda sells touch up paint in spray cans? I bought a bottle of touch up from Trevor, but I didn't see any spray cans. The rear spoiler is small enough that it may be pretty easy to DIY a color matched spoiler-a good primer coat, a few coats of the body color and a few more coats of clear to protect it. Doesn't sound too difficult, so I must be missing something! :) I suppose that the rockers could also be color matched, although I would want to use some sort of additional protection other than just clear coat-that area gets much more abuse than the spoiler. Also, maybe there is a way we can beef up the flawed original design by reinforcing the weak area around the nozzle hole-if I get inspired to paint my spoiler (and I can find some matching spray paint), I will take a look at that too.

------------------
2001 EX
iVES
Infinity 652s/452s/105ts
Honda Wood Dash
Wheel Locks
Cargo Tray
Cargo Mat
Cargo Cover
Roof Rails
Cassette Player
Heartland console

Coming up: Foglights,CD Changer,Glove Box Light

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You mean you can't find "starlight silver" on the shelf at K-mart?

·
Registered
67 Posts
The rear spoiler is small enough that it may be pretty easy to DIY a color matched spoiler-a good primer coat, a few coats of the body color and a few more coats of clear to protect it.

My guess is that the spoiler is made of some type of ABS Poly Carb plastic. However, if it is made of any Polypropylene blend I would not recommend painting it. Painting plastic is not an easy job and can turn into a mess if the proper primer is not used. I have been involved with OEM ABS and poly trim parts painted and it is not for the faint of heart.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh my god. $15 a can.

VERY COOL. :0

Stop stop before you hurt someone, marvyn! (hmmm, maybe I can get the dealer to let me keep the cracked spoiler to 'practice' on first)

·
Registered
182 Posts
I stopped by the local Honda dealer today and picked up the '02 Ody sales lit. While there I talked with the parts mgr about some of the changes. He looked up on the computer both the '01 and the '02 rear spoiler and light asm part numbers. As of today the part numbers are the same for the '02 as the '01. Maybe Honda just hasn't finished updating it yet. I mentioned about the spoilers having a problem of cracking. He used the part number and did a search to see how many they have ordered and came up with zero. So it has not been a problem here. I have wanted to get my spoiler painted but have put it off because of the reported cracking problem.

------------------
Lanny
2K1 EX MB

1 - 14 of 14 Posts