Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I just registered and I am about to possibly purchase a 1996 with 199k miles on it. It drips oil at about half a quart every 3k according to the current owner and the ABS light is on.

Would you still purchase it? Less than $2k.

Thanks

·
Registered
444 Posts
not much other info to go on - it may well have 3 - 4K of work pending on it to make it safe.

I'd probably steer clear, but that's just me.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I have a '98 olds GLS (loaded & leather) 195k I'd sell you for the same price that isn't a honda, but they don't have transmission troubles - in fact I'm still on the original trans just change fluid every 60k. Its been maintained with synthetic oil changes and when stuff needs it was replaced. No codes. Its been used a lot and is not fresh and clean inside, but seats are clean and leather is not ripped, non-smokers, etc. My engine burns no oil, leaks no oil.

When you buy something like this Honda, any issue and you're spending more than the price of the van. Just to keep in mind. A friend of mine has a son who bought a toyota van of some older vintage and it blew a head gasket - the cost of repair is higher than the worth of the van.

If you look you can find vehicles that are decent for that price, but there wont' be many Hondas, those have high resale even with many miles due to the halo effect really in my opinion, as you're just as likely to have issues with it as other vehicles. A GM would be a good deal as they depreciate a lot and there is not much market for them even in better shape.

FYI, here is my ad:

My van's ad

·
Registered
947 Posts
Dirkdaddy, I must say that if I was shopping for a minivan in that price range I would jump all over yours. Someone will get a good deal with your van.

·
Registered
606 Posts
yea, unfortunately most people don't care for their vehicles mechanically like I do and thus I can't get much for them, even when they are in great shape as people have such low expectations. Last car I sold was a 145k dodge shadow ES turbo 5 speed. It was all fresh mechanically and the guy who bought it from me used it for quite a while and it never gave him trouble until the AC went out and he gave to charity. And he made me drop the price to sell it, then a year or so later I run into him and he raved about the car!

·
Registered
7 Posts
alm99 said:
Hello,
I just registered and I am about to possibly purchase a 1996 with 199k miles on it. It drips oil at about half a quart every 3k according to the current owner and the ABS light is on.

Would you still purchase it? Less than $2k.

Thanks
so did you end up buying it or not?

i got my 96 with 229xxx miles, owner wants $3000 but able to talk down to $1800. srs light on, sticking gas pedal (fix it thru the info here) it also drips oil and was recomended to change the rear main seal, but for now i always check the oil and keep it on the right level until i have funds to fix it. other than those issues the car drives ok.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts