Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fear is that the new model and new 6 spd transmission may have issues just like any first year product.

How many problems do the 2011's have and how many will be fixed for 2012?

Wild speculation is welcome!

·
Registered
506 Posts
The 11's will have some problems which they will fix and the 12's will also have some problems which they will fix. :stupid:

We had an 05 Touring and overall (aside from the Nav unit starting to die after 5 years) we had no major problems. Considering it was a first year new model we were pleased.

Cheers.

·
Registered
739 Posts
The 6 speed tranny isn't new. Its been out a year already in the 2010 MDX. So its semi-seasoned already. I haven't seen any reports of tranny problems in the MDX forums regarding the new 6 speed. BTW all MDX's get the 6 speed not just the top of the line. I wonder if they are having trouble keeping up with demand to manufacture them? The MDX is Acura's best seller.

·
Super Moderator
13,843 Posts
Here is what I heard from a very reliable source.

The new generation is a POS. The wheels are going to fall out at 15K. The leather is going to tear up at 25K. You are going to need a new engine every 30K. Tires are going to be needed every 5K (basically at every oil change). The Transmission won't last beyond 30K either so it would be good to just get a new engine/tranny assly that Honda is shortly going to start selling. HandA is going to have a price of only $20K for the brand new engine/tranny assly. And they're going to throw in free shipping.

Was that a wild enough speculation?

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Marsupials scare me. Because they're fast.

I highly doubt they will have discovered a major problem with the transmission and fix it by 2012 model. Maybe by the next generation..... it's a friggin car...buy it if you like it.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Buy 2011 or wait for 2012?

If I could continue driving my current vehicle for a while longer I would never buy the first model year of a new generation.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
peter122 said:
What is the purpose of wild speculation?
Rampant paranoia?

·
Registered
48 Posts
dyim said:
Any chance the side mirrors will be body-colored in 2012?
Based on Honda's typical cycles I'd expect body-colored mirrors and spoiler to appear in 2013 as a 2014 model-year enhancement, along with a minor revision of the grille, headlights, taillights, wheels, and option packages. Chances are your first year of production will be a little buggy, mostly worked out by 2013 models.

Based on my typical impressions, I'm really going to want a 2011 now but won't for budget reasons, and when I see teaser shots of the 2014 I'll want to wait for that. After the 2014 comes out, my current one will need to be replaced and I'll end up with a low-mileage 2011 model and spend a lot of time thinking about how neat the 2014 models look. Then Honda will come out with a new Odyssey and the 2011-style will look dated. And then, I'll be back on Odyclub posting this same thing again but with the next generation year spans. LOL! :D

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
The 2010 MDX/ZDX 6 speed trans are all blowing up you know. :rolleyes:
There is a TSB but supposedly not a fix, only replacing with a new trans "fixes" it. Riiiggghhhhhttt.........

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
dyim said:
Any chance the side mirrors will be body-colored in 2012?
Absolutely, there is a chance. There is also a chance that the 2012 will have teleportation capability, laser guided cruise & missle control, along with the worlds first production minivan convertible option.

Honda typically doesn't make many changes (aside from color / fabric choices) from year to year. About mid-cycle of a design, they make a few tweaks (new grill or taillights, maybe a different option or trim package & maybe body colored mirrors, but I wouldnt count on that for next year.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'd say if you can, wait for the late 2011 model or 2012. You always pay more for getting a new model, and every vehicle's reliability increases when the manufacturer has more experience making it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm a 2011 owner and I'd say wait.

Don't get me wrong, I love it to death, I just generally have the opinion that you shouldn't buy new cars until you really need them, and if you think you can wait a year (or two, or three) then do!

·
Banned
728 Posts
I think this 2011 model is similar to the 2011 Sienna. They lifted the old body and interior off and dropped a new one on. Very little change has been made to the suspension, engine etc. As has been mentioned, the transmission has been out for a year in the MDX and hasn't been a problem.

The Sienna has some problems with its audio/visual system and I read that there is an annoying 3 second delay for BT sound in the 2011 Odyssey. This isn't something that would prevent me from getting a 2011 model.

You'll have to make your own choice.

·
Registered
104 Posts
What is your reference for the 3 sec. delay for BT? I haven't experienced it in my '11 but maybe it's a function I haven't yet used.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i am waiting

I have decided to wait. My current van should go a year or more with nothing more than tires and an oil change. And based on my current trade in value, it won't depreciate much.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts