Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after purchasing our 06 touring my father's Dodge Caravan begins to bite the dust and he's now in the market to buy a minivan. Naturally b/c our Odyssey has everything that one could want in a van he's leaning towards finding a touring model like ours. He is retired and budget/price is somewhat important. I'm a well versed Honda shade tree fix it kind of person and have tackled plenty of Honda specific work (i.e engine swaps, trannys, engine ect).

Today I found him a 2005 Touring with 222, 000kms. The owner says that most of the km's are highway which I believe are true (b/c he lived so far out of our city it was ridiculous how far we had to drive to get to his home). The tranny shifts smoothly and the engine doesn't make any weird ticking noises or has any fluids or odd smells coming from it. All in all the seller is asking 13K but really I think the van is only worth 10k at most b/c of:
1. Mileage
2. Dirty interior
3. Right sliding door didn't operate right when I first tried to open the door
4. Needs 4 new tires and all brakes
5. All fluids MUST be flushed. The brake fluid was extremely dark
6. No service records of any sort
7. No rust protection
8. Owner despite spending almost $55K CAD on this van back in 2005 can't recall if he ever changed the timing belt
9. Broken fogs
10. Slightly banged up front and rear bumpers
11. Broken windshield
12. No extra dealer options such as all weather mats or hood deflector
13. Some serious dents from highway rocks with plenty of wicked rock chips all over the front of the van.
14. No undercoating
15. little things like burned out dash bulbs, damaged door seals ect.

I have a gut feeling that this guy will offer to sell the van to us for $11, 500. Considering that I can do all the work myself for my dad I expect to spend roughly $2K on parts and tires and windshield. Yes Honda Canada is a rip off for parts compared to the US. This brings the total value of the touring van to about $13, 500 CAD.

On the flip side there is a lady seller her 2006 EX-L with only 101, 000kms with a power train warranty that goes up to 140, 000kms or expiring in 2013 so basically 2 years left on the warranty. Had new brakes done and has tires that are only about 1.5 years old with minimal mileage on them. She has most of the service records from Honda but hasn't changed the t-belt yet. She also has a compustar starter on it which I know is $800 installed here in town. She's asking $17, 900 CAD but I'm sure she'd unload for $16, 500. Van appears to be in great shape based on the photos I've received. interior looks immaculate.

The question I have is would you guys choose to have an older Touring over a newer with much lower mileage EX-L? My father argues with me that he really wants a Navi and DVD system and backup camera but I keep reminding him that since all the kids are grown up with our own kids that it doesn't make any sense for him to have a rear dvd system because nobody is riding in the back. He says the navi function alone is worth getting a touring. It seems that he isn't sold on the Ex-L despite the extended honda care warranty and lower miles. In the big picture I think he's MUCH better off buying the EX-L model but I want to get a sense of what the folks here at Ody club think. I know that 2005 model years are somewhat more problematic but is the 3-4 k savings + dvd and navi worth getting a van with THAT much more mileage?

My father currently owns a 2007 accord v6 with navi and I swear he never uses the navi ever. He's a gadget guy so I guess I can see why he wants a touring model so badly.

Thoughts?
Thanks

·
Registered
73 Posts
Part of me says get the ex-l but like your dad, I'd want the toys. Solution? Buy the ex-l and add aftermarket NAV or keep looking.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think that touring is nice (b/c I personally own one) but for the price/mileage/practicality he doesn' t need any of those extra even though he's tried convince me otherwise.

If he has no guests or kids to cart around then why bother looking for a van with rear dvd?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts