Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Ody owners, I have researched the heck out of this Van and all is good and excellent, but when I read the problems forum page I start to wonder...i.e oil drips, Llama loose in the trunk, rattling noises, porous block, starting probs, orange peel paint jobs..what?

That clearly doesn't sound like honda engineering. Is it because of the demand that the rate they are churning these Vans could have something to do with the defects?
Oil leak!! c'mon guys that don't sound good.
Should I tread softly....

------------------
-95 Toyota Corolla DX
-95 Honda Civic
-82 Mazda B2000

·
Registered
512 Posts
I completely understand your fears. I had already bought my used 99EX when I found this site. I think that there are a couple lemons among Hondas, but the number of satisfied costomers seem far too numerous to ignore. I had always bought American everything, but found that among vans the Ody is simply superior. That said, buy what you like because you have to drive it.

·
Registered
628 Posts
This is a mechanical device built by human beings. Things are going to be bad in isolated incidences with everything manufactured. It just happens to be less often with a Honda, I believe. At least it has been with me.

Another issue here is information access via the internet. Before the internet we (owners) were only aware of problems with these manufactured items when something went bad with our manufactured items or with someone's that we knew. Now we have the luxury of knowing a lot of information (certainly alot more than the manufactures would like us to know) about a lot of products.

I don't have any proof, but I would bet that there are a lot less problems with manufactured items today than there were "back then".

I love my Ody!

------------------
Mike Lowary
Freeport, IL

'02 GG EX-L - splashguards, Honda 6 disc in dash CD changer, Honda fog lights. leather steering wheel cover

'96 Honda Accord EX
'01 Honda Goldwing ABS
'96 Honda Helix

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok people, earlier I was completely rabid about getting an Ody, but I am sad to say I have started looking at other Vans..well mainly the Sienna symphony. It has all the features of the Ody-ex plus a few extras..like a better stereo, 60k miles warr on the powertrain, heated side mirrors etc. Yes it is a bit smaller size wise and engine power...and *sniff* no magic seat....BUT $1550 cheaper......tada. Any comments?

------------------
-95 Toyota Corolla DX
-95 Honda Civic
-82 Mazda B2000

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Khale:
Ok people, earlier I was completely rabid about getting an Ody, but I am sad to say I have started looking at other Vans..well mainly the Sienna symphony. It has all the features of the Ody-ex plus a few extras..like a better stereo, 60k miles warr on the powertrain, heated side mirrors etc. Yes it is a bit smaller size wise and engine power...and *sniff* no magic seat....BUT $1550 cheaper......tada. Any comments?
</font>
I would find $1550 on a purchase of this size not very significant, especially given the size, power, reliability, etc. (yes, even the magic seat) that are found with the Odyssey. If price is the magic number that decides what van one gets, there are probably vans out there that are $1550 less than the Sienna.

But really, I think the Sienna is ranked up there with the Ody, so you'll probably be OK if you don't need the size, magic seat, etc.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I also saw Siena. It is a nice car. The major complaint I had was not size/power/magic seat, but the fact that Toyota will do full model change pretty soon which is supposed to be dramatic upgrade and makes the current Siena kind a history. It may be a good idea to wait for a while if you can.

On the other hand, you can (and should) get a decent discount on 02 Siena if you go with it. Edmunds.com shows that TMV of LX/Sympony is about 2.5k below Ex, if I read it correctly.

------------------
2002 GG EXL RES

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
My friends who own Sienna are jealous of Ody owners, especially model year '02.

One neighbor is seriously considering replacing his '00 Sienna with an Ody just so he can have more space in the back for his four kids.

Regards,

Maugham

[This message has been edited by Maugham (edited 01-21-2002).]

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
We too looked at the Sienna, but the size was the limiting factor. Had we not bought the Ody, not needed the room inside, we would have a new 2002 Passat wagon in the driveway. I am glad that the internet affords the ability to research and learn from other's experiences even if they are not always the 'happy' thoughts I want to see. I have a silver 2002 EX...so far, so good. I was NOT happy with the buying process nor Honda's indifference to learn about it. We live 20 miles from the nearest dealership and NEED our vehicles to run without problems/even small. Manufacturer's need to learn that for most of us downtime for our personal vehicle is not an option. I am hoping that my Honda experience does not include a lot of time at the dealership having things fixed....but I suppose that any vehicle can be a gamble regarding problems. Ironically one of the only vehicles that surpassed expectations was the Police Package Ford Crown Victoria I drove in my last 'career'. They were always retired by our department at 60k miles, but they were brutal mileage in Arizona heat/conditions...with only tire/front brake pad wear in my experience. No 'magic seat' but one of hell of a large trunk!

------------------
2002 Silver EX
1996 VW Gti
1999 Pit Bull/Catahoula Leopard dogs

·
Registered
239 Posts
Having owned a 99' and now a 02' Ody, I must say Ody is the best as far as minivan goes. I am not sure what Toyota will make for the new 03' Sienna, but for now, Ody is the best.
Also, do not forget the resale value. That was the major reason enabled me to replace with this new 02' Ody.
You loose less and a lot slower over the years you own an Ody than any other minivans.

·
Registered
530 Posts
...but I am sad to say I have started looking at other Vans...$1550 cheaper....</font>
I got a quote for a Sienna and I was surprised, it was actually more expensive than the Odyssey. That was probably the way I configured the Sienna, but it was thousands more than the Odyssey.

·
Registered
55 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by moose:
I got a quote for a Sienna and I was surprised, it was actually more expensive than the Odyssey. That was probably the way I configured the Sienna, but it was thousands more than the Odyssey.
</font>

I did the same comparison with Sienna LE and the Odyssey LX at www.carsdirect.com before I got my Odyssey. Selecting the same features of "Vehicle skid control" and "Driver & Passenger Side Airbags" on the Sienna which is standard on the Odyssey, the price of the Sienna was $24,404 at invoice. Odyssey's MSRP was $24690, which was the difference of only $286. The decision is clear. I don't need to say anymore.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi,

I too looked at the Toyota. It is a fine vehicle. I have been tempted more than once over the past few months to change my mind and buy one.

My personal preferences require space, a lot of it, for the family. That plus the fold down seat out weighed the wait for the Honda.

It's not an easy decision.

Good Luck,
Tom

P.S.
Of course, at this rate, with my length of waiting, perhaps the 03 will come out and I can change my mind !

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does the EX Ody have Dual Power Sliding doors or single...anyone pls.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Does the EX Ody have Dual Power Sliding doors or single...anyone pls.</font>
Dual for the EX and EXL.

For more details see the <a href="http://www.hondacars.com/models/odyssey/features.html">Ody spec pages</a> of the Honda website.

Regards,

Maugham<font color="#f7f7f7"><center><font size=-5>

[This message has been edited by Maugham (edited 01-22-2002).]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Get a new ex model from San Antoni dealer with $ 1000 off the MSRP last weekend. Put a deposit one week ago and got a phone call from the dealer in five days. Pick up the EX-GG to become the owner of Ody. Any one want to buy an odyssey should not pay the MSRP price!
Supply is increasing!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts