Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, great forum you have here!

I am looking at a gently used (I think) 1995 EX Odyssey w/152k miles on it. Private party purchase that is unsure of any extensive history on the car.

Good:
Interior/exterior/glass perfect.
Plenty of power on hills, no rattles or hard shifts, struts seem fine and brakes stop firmly and quietly. Wipers, windows, lights, locks, stereo, glove boxes, seat belts all function fine.

Bad: ABS light on. A/C does not blow cold or cycle compressor.
Recently had 4 new tires and 4 wheel alignment done, but has tendency to pull slightly to right on uphill acceleration or when coming off stop. Ever so slight vibration in steering wheel when idling at stop in gear that disappears in park/neutral or while driving.

I am thinking the pull and vibration are a mount (tranny or motor) but unsure if CV joint could cause same with these rigs. If mount is the general consensus, are these the very expensive type bushings or are they not too bad cost wise?

AC is anyones guess right now, any feedback on known history for model appreciated.

I cannot get it to a shop to check for ABS code, so that too I assume to be bad speed sensor(s) best scenario, or bad modulator worse scenario.

Price is $2700 with others lined up behind me to buy. I was first on the scene so seller is giving me about 4 hours to decide/research.

This would be a family rig for 2 adults and one small child, with driving in winter conditions and some mountain passes 2-3 times a year.

Any feedback/advice GREATLY appreciated!

THANKS!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would agree with your assumptions about the CV joints/ motor mounts...
The A/C is another story... With any luck, the System needs to be charged, or is overcharged. There is a pressure sensor that will keep the compressor from cycling if over/undercharged. This is likely best case scenario...

The ABS is a common problem for these vehicles... Likely a pump seal... Do you hear the ABS pump cycle when you start the vehicle? This is anywhere between a $200 and $400 fix...

Ultimately, there are some things that need to be addressed, but there is a reason that there are other buyers lined up... These vans are fantastic... Both my girlfirend and I own first Gen Odysseys... I have 160,000 miles on my 95', and she has a scant 270,000 on her 97'... No rebuild, passes smog with flying colors...

Take you time addressing the issues, spread out the cost, the van will be well worth it...

Cheers!
Ryan

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for replying, Ryan. Fortunately the seller got called away from home until tomorrow at noon, so that just bought me another 24hrs for research.

Where I am located we have a cold winter which is slowly creeping in, so tackling the AC next spring helps defer some expense. I have not heard the ABS pump cyclng when starting it up....so not sure what that may indicate.

It is the right pull mount/CV joint issue that has me more concerned than the others right now. I can brake fine without ABS and don't need AC for 6 months, but would need to address that slight pulling on accelleration issue asap.

A front motor mount I could probably tackle in my garage. A CV joint or worse would be a shop repair for me of unknown costs.

I feel good about the price and not feeling pressed on the ABS or AC right now.

I am not Honda literate, so this is a blind for me. Am I missing something important here?

·
Registered
606 Posts
2400 with those issues? Dang, I'm selling my Olds for too little!

See below...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nope. 2700 with those issues.

I live in a tough market. I knew it was a little on the high side...but I didn't think it was too out of whack.

Educate me, Bro.

·
Registered
606 Posts
http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/1924989120.html

My van is straight, doesn't have those issue you give, from texas climate w/o salt on roads, has cold AC, doesn't burn oil, leather seats, good tranny, mobil 1 always, many new parts, good tires, etc. gets 23 mpg mixed, 26 highway.

asking 2100 cash.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I think I have a buyer, but it may fall through. In fact I'm fixing an upper intake manifold cracked gasket tonight that I discovered was the cause of a rough idle (not the notorious lower gasket - that's already been replaced).

Fly to Hobby airport on SW air and I'll pick you up! On the other hand, OR sounds like a fun trip. I don't care for the geography or climate here, but its where we are for now.

Hey, good luck. Seriously, look outside of OR if you can't find a deal. Tons of vehicles in Houston and we don't get snow so they are clean and many are cheap.

·
Registered
5 Posts
ABS Light

I have an 89 Acura Legend, that the ABS pump is on a lot of the time. It made so much noise that I pulled the fuse and now the ABS light stays on but no noise. I was quoted 1K to fix the problem but decided to just live with the light.

I am guessing you might have the same problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dirkdaddy said:
I think I have a buyer, but it may fall through. In fact I'm fixing an upper intake manifold cracked gasket tonight that I discovered was the cause of a rough idle (not the notorious lower gasket - that's already been replaced).

Fly to Hobby airport on SW air and I'll pick you up! On the other hand, OR sounds like a fun trip. I don't care for the geography or climate here, but its where we are for now.

Hey, good luck. Seriously, look outside of OR if you can't find a deal. Tons of vehicles in Houston and we don't get snow so they are clean and many are cheap.
Funny you should mention that, I did take a look at Houston for giggles-

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/1947901697.html

http://houston.craigslist.org/ctd/1992500643.html

http://houston.craigslist.org/ctd/1987025582.html

That last listing is $5400 with 181k miles. I am thinking I will buy this one up here, drive it down there, make about $1500 and buy a truck full of Big Red soda.

We don't get too much snow here, and use no road salts so corrosion isn't an issue. Matter of fact Bend is a pretty dry place west of the cascades.

Tomorrow is purchase deadline. I am thinking of taking the gamble with the ABS and AC and hope for the best with those. I probably wouldn't throw $1500 at the ABS, and am hoping the AC is $500 or less.

It is that slight vibration in the steering wheel and slight torque steer to the right that aggravates me most.

No vibes when in park/neutral or at moving rpm's, so my gut is screaming a mount is wearing thin somewhere. Not sure what the tab is on a rear one, but am guessing around $200-$250 at a decent shop.

Do any of you owners get right side torque steer with a quick acceleration from a stop?

·
Registered
606 Posts
RE prices - those are ASKING prices, so there's no limit to what they can ask, but like you are doing if you see enough vehicles you get a range and can tell the ones outside of the mainstream prices.

Hey good luck. Some FWD cars have more torque steer than others, I have not driven that generation. Even if the engine moves, it should not move the hubs of the front wheels which affect alignment. I'd be careful it wasn't wrecked, or front end not aligned... ABS, maybe a junkyard unit? AC can be costly, you need that up there? In Houston we have liquid air, or about as close as you can come, and just taking humidity out works wonders..

·
Registered
606 Posts
"take to a shop"

Oh, I had thought you were just taking on a project with this vehicle. If you have to take to a shop to get these issues fixed up, honestly you don't know what the final tab will be, or if you can even fix the problems it has economically. I would not buy it unless you are prepared to do it yourself. You can run up a lot of $$ in a shop unless you know the guy REALLY well and he cut you slack. For the same $ as it would take (hopefully) to fix it, take that $ up front you could find another van that has less issues (risk). If it was tires, leaky radiator, brake rotors, something that is easier and more well known, but these issues are unknowns (why does not track straight?, why does the AC not work, is the entire system hosed (black death), or is it a simple fix?) If these things were simple would not the owner have taken care of at least some of them? Is an owner that allows the vehicle to get into that sort of condition make it a good vehiicle to buy, what other thigns have not been maintained?

raise question marks for me, I'd pass unless it was a deal. :confused:

I've gambled on a lot of used cars, and my '06 ex is one of them. After many issues so far in 3 months, I'm not sure I got the better end of the deal, but at least I could resale it as Honda's have a good reputation - earned or not in the case of the Odyessy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am taking your advice on this one. After doing some calculating I agree that the risk/reward may not balance out to my favor very well.

Hahaha, now the problem is that since I have driven one of these and read up on them I WANT ONE! Searching about though, they are hard to find. May have to serch between Seattle and LA along the I-5 here.

BTW, my Westlake, LA wife says "hi".

·
Registered
113 Posts
soliloquy,

The 1998 Ody has a slightly larger 4-cyl engine with VTEC and better fuel economy (compared to the 95-97), adds a tachometer and is supposed to have better crash protection. The car was rammed by two deer at the same time, and it took it well, I walked away with no scratches :) and the body shop did the rest (like new now).

If I needed a good van for the next 5 years I would look for a '98 with low miles (around 120k, with timing belt replaced at 105k). Try cars.com and look at other states in your area too, if no one available nearby.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts