Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm looking for a minivan for a road trip through the US. It will be used to sleep also.

I know that the tranny of this car has problems but I've found a van with the tranny replaced. Better idea ?

The van has more than 136 000 miles, tranny was replaced at 60 000 miles, timing belt at 100 000 miles, spark plugs and brakes changed. Sold for 2900 CAN$. Should I buy ?

Thanks

·
Registered
96 Posts
Sounds like a deal. Any rust? Make sure the suspension is sound as the tie rod ends and stabilizer links can go. Also check all fluids including coolant, brakes, power steering, engine oil and tranny. I also suggest you ask for maintenance records and check to see if the vehicle has been in any accidents particularly front end or side impact. Oh one more thing, the motor mounts can be problematic on this vehicle so check those out too. I still stand by Honda Odyssey's for longevity. You treat that engine and tranny right and you'll get another 200,000 km out of it.

Watchman

·
Registered
524 Posts
You treat that engine and tranny right and you'll get another 200,000 km out of it.
That is in doubt. The vehicle got 60 K miles on the original and 76K miles so far on the replacement transmission. Lots of failures below the 75 K mile mark including mine. Treated mine right.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I saw a number of Odyssey's (1999-2001) even today when I was driving which doesn't say that they are over 150K but I sure don't think the replacement tranny failure rate is as widespread as the original failure rate. The case is the only thing reused in the rebuilts.

Watchman

·
Registered
32 Posts
I sure don't think the replacement tranny failure rate is as widespread as the original failure rate. The case is the only thing reused in the rebuilts.

Watchman
I don't think so either. I haven't had any problems with mine. I got 98k on my replacement transmission after the original failed at 71k.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I saw a number of Odyssey's (1999-2001) even today when I was driving which doesn't say that they are over 150K but I sure don't think the replacement tranny failure rate is as widespread as the original failure rate. The case is the only thing reused in the rebuilts.

Watchman
That's not always true. My second transmission didn't even make it 36K (it was done at a dealer, under warranty) after the first one bit it at 70K. Approaching 50K on the third transmision, with fingers crossed. [all mileage figures are miles not KM]

To the OP: It's a decent price on the van, but I'd put emergency road service on your insurance (better than AAA, or CAA or whatever you have up north) and bring at least one credit card with you that you can put $4-5K on in case the tranny takes a dump while you are out on the road. If you're OK with that, then I'd go for it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That doesn't sounds reassuring ...

I've just seen the van, there is no rust except on the bumper, you can see it on this photo :
ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Both passengers doors were frozen, impossible to open, seems to be a common problem. Both front doors don't hold open too.

The main problem is a metallic noise when turning left. The owner said he was ready to decrease the price depending on the repairs. I have heard some noise from the front suspension when the road is bad. Is it a serious problem ?

Well ... I don't think it's a good deal anymore, isn't it ?

·
Registered
96 Posts
$2900 for a 2000 Odyssey isn't such a bad deal even with some repair issues. I suggest you get a "pre-purchase" inspection at a garage. re: rust, the bumper is plastic so that isn't rust. Maybe some tape residue or something else. I'm kind of surprised there isn't any rust considering it is in Quebec where road salt is quite common and humidities are rather high. Metallic noise when turning always makes me think CV joint but a garage could hone the diagnosis. The suspension noise could be anything but keep in mind that you are probably looking at a wheel alignment when considering any suspension/steering repairs. It's impossible to answer from a distance as to whether any of this is serious until you get it checked. A pre-purchase inspection is only about $150. Well worth it in case there are in fact some major problems with the vehicle. In order of seriousness:

1. Engine problems (leaking head gasket, major oil leak or blue smoke out the back tail pipe)
2. Transmission problems (shift flaring, clunking noise when going into reverse or other gear)
3. Suspension/Steering (worn parts)

That's my opinion anyway because of the tendancy to have to do major disassembly or replacement on the engine and tranny when there is a serious problem. Garages (particularly dealerships) tend to have a throwaway attitude anyway when it comes to tranny's. They won't replace a clutchpack or bearing. They'll just order a remanufactured one.

I don't understand your comment about frozen passenger doors. I don't remember that on mine. is this an LX or an EX? The LX is manual sliders which are much cheaper to maintain. Probably just need some cleaning and some grease. The other door issue you mentioned was both front doors don't hold open? Meaning they won't stay open when you fully swing them open? That is NOT a major problem. As long as the doors close properly and don't randomly swing open during driving, don't sweat that.

Overall, I think it sounds like the current owner may not have taken exceptional care of the vehicle but the maintenance record should help clarify that as should an inspection. Even with a couple things wrong you have price negotiation room and still that sounds like a reasonable price. I would consider $5000 a typical price for that vehicle at this stage in its life.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks a lot for your complete answer. I will surely get it inspected in a garage as my mechanical knowledge is very limited.

I've seen another van with almost the same mileage. The transmission was replaced 3 months ago and is still under warranty. The suspension is better compared to the previous one. The main concern is the rust as you can see on these pictures :

aile.jpg door.jpg engine.jpg engine2.jpg engine3.jpg fuel.jpg wheel.jpg

What do you think about it ?

Also the owner doesn't know when the timing belt was replaced. When the car was inspected last summer, the mechanic said it's ok but is it possible to know when to change it ?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Personally I'd go for the van with the fresh transmission in it. And unless you do the work yourself, add $800-1200 (maybe more up there in Canukistan) for the timing belt job and related items.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just paid 3100 for mine with 217300km on the original tranny with no problems in sight.
Has had the timing belt and water pump done though, and the valves are making some noise now.

·
Registered
96 Posts
hawklan1701d now is about the time for a valve lash adjustment according to the maintenance sched. Sounds like you need it although that's probably a few hundred dollars.

vinck: the rust in the engine compartment is a bit of a worry as any exposed wiring could be corroding through and start to cause you electrical issues. Furthermore, the suspension and subframe could also be susceptible to corrosion and failure....regardless, the bigger issue is rust on the body which doesn't look to major yet but you are only seeing the visible rust. There is likely much more that isn't visible yet. I'm not going to make your mind up for you but in both cases I would have a mechanical inspection done and maybe even the garage can give you an opinion on the suspension integrity on the rusty one.

Cheers,

Watchman

·
Registered
524 Posts
Keep you options open. Maybe you have not looked at enough cars yet. With used cars, condition is key. Do not limit yourself to Honda only. You could lock yourself out of a something better.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am not only looking at Honda but I'd prefer have a Japanese car. Toyota Sienna are more expensive (just a few in my budget), Mazda MPV are often very rusty, etc. The third row seats that folds into the floor will be very useful, but a few models have it if I make no mistake.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
So, the odyssey with the rebuilt transmission was inspected in a garage. The car is quiet in good condition, except there is a oil leak : oil pan gasket to change. Also the rear right wheel needs a new bearing. Cost repairs is maximum 650$ (incl. taxes) for 4-4,5 labor hours. The mechanic said it has to be done (of course it's more work for him). Is it a good price ? I will try to negociate with the owner, will try 2400$. What do you think ?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts