Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
After weeks of careful deal-hunting for an Odyssey, i found a 09 EX-L in a great condition for a reasonable price. It is Honda Certified and sold by a reputable dealer. I have made a deal in principle and had originally planned to make a deposit today. However the carfax report lists an accident, but does not depreciate its value. The dealer says it was a minor incident involving the owner while backing up the car and no structural damage occured; only minor repair and a paint job. I have not seen the incident report.
Should i buy this vehicle at an agreed price that is about 600 dollars less than its appraised value (as calculated on edmunds dot com with a vehicle condition of outstanding)? The KBB values it about 2000 dollars more than edmunds.
I know i will use it for at least 3 years and will definitely sell it in 5 years.
Should i even consider buying this car?
Or should i buy this car if the price is re-negotiated for much less?

I will truly appreciate your response.

Thanks,
Sudar

·
Registered
333 Posts
I'm curious, how does the dealer know the details of the accident and what was repaired? Also, did you ask to run a carfax and discovered the accident history or did they openly make it available to you. KBB, edmunds or whatever, you are dealing with a "certified" used car and therefore you are paying that premium. I would definitely find out what certified means from that dealer. Otherwise you can probably get a better deal at a regular used car lot and still run the carfax just the same.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi HamZer11,
Dealer says that the vehicle was originally purchased from them and that the owner disclosed it. I had asked for the carfax report and that's when they disclosed it. But since then, they have posted the carfax on their ad.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Nearly bought an 09 EXL myself. You don't mention the mileage. As for the accident, I always want the complete records including any repairs of any vehicle I'm buying. Gives you some peace of mind and very helpful 3 years down the road when you want to sell it yourself. If this dealer sold the vehicle originally they may have done a lot of the work themselves. In this day and age they should be able to print off complete records of their work on the vehicle for you in two minutes. No reason to suspect their version of events and even if the damage was major it's not an issue if it was repaired properly by a reputable dealer, however it's nice to have the complete paperwork or as complete as you can get.

·
Registered
333 Posts
You can call me cynical but if there is no reason to worry about their version and they did all the work then why did it take an educated consumer who requested a carfax for them to disclose the information. Also, while I agree that even major damage repaired properly can make for a good car, I strongly believe it should be reflected heavily in the price. I think if you are getting only $600 off the book value, keep on looking. But you are not me and your circumstances might be different. I would at least attempt to walk away to see what they can do. This is ofcourse after you get detailed information on the accident and repair. I know a few car salesman and dealership owners personally and believe me they are not boy scouts so there is always a reason to doubt what you are being presented (no offense to the few and far between good sales people out there).

·
Registered
252 Posts
Remember, they bought the van at a DEEP discount because of the accident, you should be paying a DEEP discount compared to a clean CARFAX. I am surprised it can be offically "Honda Certified" with the accident recorded. Confirm it is actually Honda Certified and not just theier own "Certified". Also remember, you will probably never be able to trade it in with the accident recorded and if a dealer does, it will be a huge discount. Also, owners are very hesitant to buying an accident car. You pay now (clean van) or you pay later (taking a bath when you sell), your choice.
My Mom is trying to buy a new Honda Accord but no Honda dealer in our area will take her "Accident" 2005 Honda Accord in mint condition. She tried CarMax and they said no as well so now I am stuck trying to sell it for her.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Robie, HamZer11 and dagmando for your valuable comments. To Robie's point, the vehicle has 24K miles and is honda certified. Dealer says they wouldn't be able to certify it if it had major damage or air bag deployed. But an accident is an accident and is recorded in the carfax report forever.
Based on a similar thread in this forum, i offered a lower price (about 15% lower) for it and the dealer declined. So i walked away. I am definitely relieved that i did not end up paying more than i should. So, my search continues.
I appreciate all your responses.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Less than a week since i walked away from this deal, i see that the dealer now has brought the advertised price by 2 grand. Now the advt price is same as the price i had negotiated from their original asking price.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I don't care if His Holiness the Pope himself certified a vehicle that had suffered an accident and then had the balls to describe it as 'just like new." I don't ever buy used cars: I don't want someone else's problems (there's at least one compelling reason they got rid of it). And if I did ever find myself in a position where my only choice was to buy a used car, there's no way in hell I would buy any vehicle that had any kind of accident reported in any document, report, or repair invoice. I don't care how minor.

There are way too many cars out there that have not been damaged at all for me to have to settle for someone else's bodywork cast-off. You were right to punt, no doubt your patience will be rewarded...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Seriously, it was an accident and it probably was minor. If you're not comfortable, walk away and go on to the next car. There's nothing wrong with buying the car either. Do what makes you feel better at the end of the day. I knew there was an accident on my car when I bought it and it's has not been an ounce of trouble with it. To each their own.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts