Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where's the cheapest place to buy a 2nd remote for my 2001 EX?

Thanks!

------------------
Jeff Matthews
2001 Odyssey EX

[This message has been edited by fatalei (edited 02-17-2002).]

·
Registered
368 Posts
Ebay usually has them but none are listed currently. About $30.00 per, sometimes less.

[This message has been edited by johnkalajian (edited 02-17-2002).]

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Wait a minute here. "....to buy a 2nd remote for your 2002 EX"?????

The EX models *do* come with two remote transmitters. Did your dealer give you only one?

You'd be the second person I've known to be screwed by their salesman in this way. Go back and DEMAND that you get your second remote.

(Now I know where the ones on Ebay come from. Dealer charges $120 for these things, and I got a couple for $40 each--from Ebay. Probably from salesman like yours.)

·
Registered
81 Posts
He said 2001, maybe he bought it used and there was only one when it was traded in?

Scott

·
Registered
180 Posts
When we took delivery of our '99 EX just several months after the improved Ody came on the market, the dealer told us Honda had originally planned to give only one remote per vehicle, but had changed their minds and was now playing catchup. So they gave us one and promised a second later. Then they gave Honda the wrong address for our van, etc., and after the dust settled, I think we ended up with three or four of the remotes, with an extra or two coming in the mail from Honda as well as an extra from the dealer. With luck, I've got enough for the lifetime of the vehicle!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Llarry,
Are you interested in selling me one? I'm assuming that they are the same for a 2001 EX.

·
Registered
52 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by fatalei:
Llarry,
Are you interested in selling me one? I'm assuming that they are the same for a 2001 EX.
</font>
Don't they have to be specially coded to match your receiver? Can this be done by an end user ? -- I know the remotes on my '93 Accord have a chip inside with the code on it.

IIRC when we bought the Accord used from a Honda dealer they had two remotes in the file ( I know cause my wife and I set the alarm off by playing with both remotes simulataneously -- oops ). When we picked up the car the salesman claimed it only came with one. I can imagine it was already in use on his own car by that time. After complaining they gave us the 2nd remote.

·
Registered
579 Posts
How about the Insurance on the lease car, will it be more expensive?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had an extra remote keyfob I found under the seat of a rental car. I believe it was from an Accord. Even though it looked physically identical to the Ody fobs I just installed, it would not sync up to the system. The two that came with the kit sync'd up just fine. Make sure if you buy an extra one off e-bay that it will work with the Ody...

------------------
Keith Richmond
Warrenton, VA

·
Registered
368 Posts
There are four of them listed on ebay right now. "Buy it now" for $29.99.

·
Registered
10 Posts
We, too, were sold a 1.5-year-old '00 Ody EX with no remote senders (and just one key, but at least they did give us another key). I've picked up two remote senders which are supposed to work, and the Ody doesn't respond to either.
Is anyone aware of a list that would match VINs to the FCC or other ID codes on the senders? One of the eBay sellers, who has been very helpful, suggested that not all receivers can receive all senders; and, that if my receiver is working, maybe it just isn't listening for the senders I have. Any truth to this?
If there were a list, it would make it easier to be sure that you were getting a sender that would work.
Word to the wise - if you're fortunate enough to have a sender that works, record all of the numbers on the back; you might want them when you go shopping on eBay to get a second / replacement unit.
btw, there might be a sender or two on eBay in the near future, if I find out that the ones I have won't work for my rig.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Sorry for not posting back sooner, fatalei; I missed this thread. I coulda sworn I had 4 of the things, but your email caused me to find 'em all and count -- total 3 and one has a dead battery. I think I'll keep all 3 for now, at least.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts