Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 CRV and have decided after 42000 miles that my 67 year old body needs more comfort and space. I cant afford a new Ody but was thinking of a 2006-2008 model years. Is one better than the other mechanically and what is the safe reasonable mileage I should accept? there are several 90,000 mile Ody's around New Orleans but I thought that might be excessive and they want 19000.
Sid

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have a 2006 CRV and have decided after 42000 miles that my 67 year old body needs more comfort and space. I cant afford a new Ody but was thinking of a 2006-2008 model years. Is one better than the other mechanically and what is the safe reasonable mileage I should accept? there are several 90,000 mile Ody's around New Orleans but I thought that might be excessive and they want 19000.
Sid
There's a lot of debate on this forum about what is an acceptable mileage on a used vehicle, but I would see if it was driven primarily on the highway or in town with lots of stop and go driving. (Guess which is harder on a vehicle!) Also, the 2007+ vans have the Ridgeline (Honda "pickup truck") transmission in them so their transmissions are probably stronger than earlier models. In terms of price, I would direct you to four websites-Clear Book, Edmunds, Kelly Blue Book and NADA Used Car Guides. Enter the information on specific vehicles and your zip code to see what the price you can (or should) pay for each van. I purchased a 2008 EX (which I would recommend over the EX-L or Touring models for my own reasons) with 44,333 miles on it for $19,500 in August of this year from a private seller I knew. Please feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Just curious - what would be the reasons to buy EX over EX-L (other than price)?
Price is part of it, but the biggie for me is the VCM in the EX-L and Touring models with the resulting problems with expensive motor mount repairs. From what I have read here on this forum and elsewhere most (but not all) of the 2007-2010 models with transmission problems (esp. w/torque converter) are ones with the VCM engine. I also don't need (and don't really want) leather, RES and Navigation. However, I do like the options that came on the EX model in those years over the bare-bones LX!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Two days ago I purchased a 2007 LX with 27,500 miles. It was owned by an elderly couple who left it in the garage and only drove it on rare occassions. Not a scratch on it and never had kids, smokers, or pets inside. I paid $16,500 for the van which was at the high end of my budget but I thought it was a good value. The van has all the standard LX features with the exception of an upgraded XM ready stereo. I am wondering based on others experience if I got a good value for my money? It seems these low mileage vans go fast so I didnt have time to do alot of checking around when I found this one in my budget range.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Two days ago I purchased a 2007 LX with 27,500 miles. It was owned by an elderly couple who left it in the garage and only drove it on rare occassions. Not a scratch on it and never had kids, smokers, or pets inside. I paid $16,500 for the van which was at the high end of my budget but I thought it was a good value. The van has all the standard LX features with the exception of an upgraded XM ready stereo. I am wondering based on others experience if I got a good value for my money? It seems these low mileage vans go fast so I didnt have time to do alot of checking around when I found this one in my budget range.
cpk-See my first post on this thread-use the websites mentioned in it to see what a fair price would be for a Private Party sale in your area. Also look in the local classifieds to see what the local prices are for Odys or comparable vans. I found very few newer (2005-2010) private party Odys for sale here in the Atlanta area-most were in the 1999-2001 model years and with high mileage. You can see what I got and how much it cost me. I talked her down from $21 K, but I still think that $19.5 was a fair price for a 08 EX.

·
Registered
380 Posts
In January of this year, I paid the (Ferrari/Maserati/Bentley dealer) $17200 for a 07 EX with Trailer hitch, PS and AT cooler already installed, and it had only 42K miles. I have since put 22K trouble free miles on it since. :D

I figure I got a good deal mainly because the high end dealer wanted to move this tradein....

·
Registered
288 Posts
In January of this year, I paid the (Ferrari/Maserati/Bentley dealer) $17200 for a 07 EX with Trailer hitch, PS and AT cooler already installed, and it had only 42K miles. I have since put 22K trouble free miles on it since. :D

I figure I got a good deal mainly because the high end dealer wanted to move this tradein....
I would love to hear the story about how an Ody ended up at a Ferrari/Maserati/Bentley dealer! I wonder what they traded it in for? LOL

·
Registered
380 Posts
PO traded it in for a fully laden Escalade. Turns out the Ody doesn't do well on dirt roads when it was muddy. Buried itself up to the axles and had to be towed out. Owner promptly said "this sucks" and got the Escalade.

Odyssey was on site for less than 24hrs when I spotted it and I was the first to call on it.

Dealership basically said, "You see the $500k Bentley on the left and the $250K Ferrari on the right? That Honda is taking up valuable floor space, I need to move it!" He was loosing money selling it at that price, but didn't care as he made up for it on the big $$ cars.

Never ever in my life did I think I'd be signing a check (much less two) to a Maserati dealership (the name they go under).

Even the independent inspection (my mechanic) told me that the car was so clean I'd be silly not to buy it.

·
Registered
288 Posts
PO traded it in for a fully laden Escalade. Turns out the Ody doesn't do well on dirt roads when it was muddy. Buried itself up to the axles and had to be towed out. Owner promptly said "this sucks" and got the Escalade.
Uggh. An Escalade! AKA: An overpriced Tahoe. Your avatar sums up my sentiments about the PO of that Ody. Glad that you got a good deal and the Ody is in competent hands now.:)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did it, traded the CRV for a 2010 EX-L from a dealer under warranty with 25k, miles. Silver. Trying to learn about all the gadgets like tire pressure monitor location, how to fold small middle seat, just learned how to turn on outdoor temp. Wish it had a compass, the back up camera is small but helpful.Now how does the ac controls work.Auto? recirculate? seems like one turns off the other.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I leave it in AUTO mode 70'F all the time regardless if its summer or winter.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you, I was wondering how to keep it cool without all the fiddling. Does Auto close out the outside air, it was 102F in New Orleans yesterday. Also it seems like the ac cools better with the rear air on, is this the best way to operate it?

·
Registered
632 Posts
I have rear A/C always sync to the front so it is always ON regardless whether Im driving alone or with my family at the back. This keep the whole van at "EVEN" temperature all over. Turning to AUTO means the computer sensor will either take in "FRESH" air or "RECIRC" by itself. Eliminating the guess work out and NO fiddling from me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Good luck and enjoy. My wife and I just bought a 2010 EX-L RES and we are thrilled with it so far. Hope you like yours as much as we do ours.
Good luck with trying to understand everything about it - I'm still trying to learn about ours.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Small middle seat folds by a pull strap located beside the seat cushion. I'd recommend pulling the seat cushion out first. (Won't fold down otherwise.).

If you have questions, ask, I've pretty much figured out most of the features in my EX.

·
Registered
87 Posts
How do you know which models come with the VCM engines? I've read a few place it's only the EX-L and Touring. Is that correct? I'm looking at an 07 EX and don't want the VCM but am afraid the salesman may not know what the heck I'm even talking about if I ask her. Thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was wanting an EX with Leather, I do not like the idea of leather but I swear there is different padding in the leather seats that make me more comfy and the fabric was like velcro. Any way just bought an EXL and you dont even notice the VCM, never know when it is working. I guess it is working when the ECO light comes on in the dash but not sure. I do not like gadgets so I bought the extended warranty. Now I am considering a trailer hitch but they are soo expensive I cant justify the Honda set up and most listers advise me to stay away from aftermarket hitches and coolers.

·
Registered
288 Posts
How do you know which models come with the VCM engines? I've read a few place it's only the EX-L and Touring. Is that correct?
Yes

1 - 20 of 22 Posts