Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were looking at 2007 Odyssey with 35k on it. But I just read a lot of negative reviews on Edmunds.com. Lots of Torque converter/transmission and AC issues. And of course been reading some of the threads here.
It is Honda certified so it should come with 100k mile powertrain warranty.
Has there been any years that have been better or worse? Auto transmissions makes me nervous, I wish manufacturers made more manuals. Any advise would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I wouldn't sweat it too much with the 100k warranty. The '07 seems to be the worst in terms of torque converter issues but the warranty will take care of that. Other issues that seem to persist are brakes and power steering. We went with good aftermarket pads/rotors and have no complaints with brakes after that. Otherwise it's a very nice vehicle.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did they correct the torque converter issue for the 08 model year?

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I don't think so. I know I've seen some '08 models around here with the TC issue. I'm not sure they've really "fixed" anything...it's just not something that happens at really low miles so the older models will see more of it. We've seen some '05 and '06 models with it as well but for some reason '07 seems to be hit the worst.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We are probably going to buy one and hope that if we have an issue it will still be under warranty. We have a friend with a 07 that put on 70K trouble free miles and before that had a 02 with 110K trouble free miles, which is encouraging. We were looking for alternative vehicles but there doesn't seem to be another as nice as the Odyssey.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Nope there's not much to pick from particularly that vintage/price range. If I was buying NEW today I'd take a Sienna. But '05-'10 models the Odyssey are top dogs in my book. I still think overall the problems aren't THAT bad but statistically they do seem to have issues.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yeah CR flags the 2k7 model with its worst mark for major transmissions problems.

I have a 2k7 myself with almost 50k and haven't noticed anything yet.

I haven't read up on the nature of the problems that people having yet. Someone said it just a software issue. Don't know if that is true or not.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah CR flags the 2k7 model with its worst mark for major transmissions problems.

I have a 2k7 myself with almost 50k and haven't noticed anything yet.

I haven't read up on the nature of the problems that people having yet. Someone said it just a software issue. Don't know if that is true or not.
Yeah I saw that. 2006 seemed a good year according to CR, but right now the used market has a lot of 07 that just came off lease, not too many 06 models. But really every model that I read up on, the consumer reviews are all mostly negative. I think the only people who review are the ones with bad experiences who need to vent.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sean486 - the torque converter issue has a factory service bulletin. The way you can tell if the TQ converter service has been performed is by a center punch above the 3rd letter in the vin code in the engine compartment. I wouldn't consider a factory certified if they hadn't done the fsb's and recalls. Honda warns that the dealership takes liability for any problems or law suits if they don't perform the FSB prior to sale.

Good luck!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sean486 - the torque converter issue has a factory service bulletin. The way you can tell if the TQ converter service has been performed is by a center punch above the 3rd letter in the vin code in the engine compartment. I wouldn't consider a factory certified if they hadn't done the fsb's and recalls. Honda warns that the dealership takes liability for any problems or law suits if they don't perform the FSB prior to sale.

Good luck!
Thank you I'll be sure to look for that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts