Discussion Starter #1
may be buying an 02 ex with 90k miles
anything to ck first?
have maint records and van is well kept and very clean
everything works but just kinda nervous about the trannythanks in advance

·
Registered
30 Posts
I bought a '02 EX w/ 125,000 miles a little past one year ago. All maintenance records from dealership. Minor body damage on passenger side. Purchase price was $7400. Two days ago, about 20,000 miles later, the transmission went out with zero warning. No codes, no poor shifting. Nothing.

The van did throw a code last november. Something about the torque converter.

I expected it to happen eventually, but the way it happened was unexpected. But, I really like the van and can't wait to get it back. A shop in L.A. is rebuilding the tranny for $1150.

If you buy the van, consider the cost of replacing the transmission in your purchase price. Save for an eventual replacement. Aside from that issue and bad city gas mileage, it's a great vehicle.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh man this dosent sound too good
i thought with the 5sp trans the problems were kinda worked out but i guess not
i had an 01 with 150k and that trans was original
the dealer is asking 7k for the van and it is very clean so im kinda scared about making the jump
anyone know ofa wy to tell if there is impending doom or does the trans just decide to quit?
and also was there any recalls or tsbs on this that i could repair myself?
mama really wants this van and i dont want to dissapoint her ya know"happy wife,happy life"
thanks to all

·
Registered
30 Posts
d-rex said:
oh man this dosent sound too good
i thought with the 5sp trans the problems were kinda worked out but i guess not
i had an 01 with 150k and that trans was original
the dealer is asking 7k for the van and it is very clean so im kinda scared about making the jump
anyone know ofa wy to tell if there is impending doom or does the trans just decide to quit?
and also was there any recalls or tsbs on this that i could repair myself?
mama really wants this van and i dont want to dissapoint her ya know"happy wife,happy life"
thanks to all
On mine, it quit suddenly without warning. One day everything was fine. The next day it broke down. The only warning I had was a torque converter code it threw something like 8 months before it broke down. I reset the light, and it never came back.

Really, it's just the luck of the draw. The shop handling my rebuild said the torque converter was overheated, and the transmission had lots of loose particles.

Unfortunately, unless you can spring for an '04 sienna, there aren't many alternatives to the Oddyssey.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Talk them down with the arguement of the possibility of the transmission going out, or get them to trough in an extended warranty that will cover it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well good news i guess-its an 02 with 100k-original owner
and honda replaced trans at 60k under warranty-so i bought it today
drove it 45miles home all seems ok so far
thanks for all the help guys im sure ill be checking back soon

·
Registered
114 Posts
Just do a 3x Drain/Fill of the ATF, cause you never know when it was last changed, then Install a Magnefine filter. If you tow, an aftermarket cooler is a must, because the OEM cooler is not enough. Valvoline MaxLife ATF is a pretty good ATF and has gotten good reviews from this forum, plus you can get it at WalMart for $3.60 a quart.

·
Registered
30 Posts
fallout09890 said:
Just do a 3x Drain/Fill of the ATF, cause you never know when it was last changed, then Install a Magnefine filter. If you tow, an aftermarket cooler is a must, because the OEM cooler is not enough. Valvoline MaxLife ATF is a pretty good ATF and has gotten good reviews from this forum, plus you can get it at WalMart for $3.60 a quart.
I suggest you install the cooler whether you tow or not. The shop that rebuilt my tranny said the torque converter had signs of heat damage. I don't know if the previous owner towed, but I haven't. Anyway you look at it, it's cheap insurance.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no towing was done-no hitch-
trans fluid looks and smells great so 40 k on the new trans isnt too bad right?
are the new trans updated so as not to fail again or do they just keep failing
whats the warranty on the trans?anyone know?
i do plan on flushing it a few times with mobil or amsoil
should i do the filter too?-im just really scared on losing this trans
thanks guys

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Hmm...

If I were an unscrupulous seller of a 2002 Odyssey,

and I knew that EVERYONE knows their transmissions are AWFUL,

and I knew that seeing a trailer hitch on the back of one would drop the value of the van by way more than the value that the hitch added,

you would find the trailer hitch unbolted and in the trash well before the van was for sale.

Not that I'm an unscrupulous seller or have ever had a trailer hitch. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts