Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I'm new to this forum, and wanted to get some opinions on an Odyssey we are considering.

We currently own a Nissan Murano, which we love, but is just getting to be too small. We have an 18 month old, and another little one on the way, as well as two Cocker Spaniels. We decided that it will be just too tight in the Murano on our monthly four hour car rides, so we have been looking at minivans. We are interested in either a Sienna or Odyssey. The salesman we bought our Murano from is a great guy, and is working with us to find the van that will best fit our needs. This is what he found a few days ago:

2007 Honda Odyssey EX-L w/ RES, 65k, silver with grey leather, with a trailer hitch. The van is in great shape, and I could not find any major flaws on it.

The price he is offering us is $20,000. Does this sound like a fair price? We really liked the van, and are hoping we can make the payments work with our budget.

Is there anything in particular that we should be looking at on the Ody? The Carfax mentioned a recall on the brakes, and he is going to have the shop check it out to make sure it has been done.

Sorry this is so long, but I appreciate any input! :D

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
IMHO the price is too high, it should be around $15K-16.5K tops. Miles are way too high for a 3-year old car - almost double of "normal" use.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As much as I would love to get it for that price, it is not going to happen. I am a little concerned about the miles, but it is really not that bad. We averaged over 16k per year in our Murano. This van is four years old too, delivery was in October 2006. The carfax said that the first owner (almost 3 years) averaged around 15k per year, and the second owner (just over one year) about 20k. Edmunds says the dealer price should be around 22,300, even with the number of miles. They will put this van on the lot at 23, and probably sell it close to that. Thanks for the input, and if you have any tips on getting the price down that far, that would be great! :)

·
Registered
887 Posts
A couple months ago I was offered 15-16k for my 05 with I believe high 60s at the time on trade. This was on a 2010, AFTER negotiating the lowest I could. So I don't think an 07 could be had for 15-16.5, but you never know what seller you could come across, but probably not from a dealership.

Anyway, with ploping down that sum of money, you may want to consider certified from a honda dealer. That way you are not spending 20k and then get stuck with high repair bills...

·
Registered
404 Posts
The tow hitch is also problematic. If it came that way from Honda, that's one thing. But if it was added aftermarket, be aware that Honda recommends additional cooling by way of several additional components added to the vehicle. It's unlikely such measures were taken if the hitch was just installed at a Joe's shop, causing problems with durability down the road (you never know "what" the tower towed before you got it)... :eek:

I also strongly suggest you seek out a certified Honda vehicle, considering your budget, even if you have to pay a scooch more for it. Nothing like peace of mind when buying used... especially with transporting your family units, and all the reliability expected and required of such an enterprise... :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree about buying it CPO, and I should be able to talk them into a warranty of some kind.

I am really not worried about the hitch, because from what I could tell, it was either never used or only for a bike rack or hitch hauler. The hitch is spotless, and the trailer wiring is not there. I will only be using the hitch for a bike rack and occasionally towing an ATV less than 20 miles at a time. I still might put in a tranny fluid cooler sometime.

As far as the high mileage goes, I would rather buy a car that averaged 15k a year thank one that averaged less than 10k, because the one with less mileage is more likely to be more city miles as opposed to highway miles. Living in WI, it's not unusual to average 15k or more.

·
Registered
150 Posts
timmer84 said:
The carfax said that the first owner (almost 3 years) averaged around 15k per year, and the second owner (just over one year) about 20k.
May be off base here, but I would think you'd get a somewhat better price given that you will be the third owner.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
There's another thread running on a CPO '07 EX-L with 32k miles purchased for $22.2k. I would say $20k is a little high given the miles but not too far off base. CPO adds about $1,500 so given the miles on this one I think $19k would be more realistic.

I personally would avoid one with a hitch. If they've used it for towing....I wouldn't want it. It certainly doesn't add any value so you might as well find one you know hasn't been used for towing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The dealership just got it in yesterday, all they did was was the exterior before we saw it. They will be going through it mechanicly Monday and will let us know what the final price is.

I really doubt the previous owners towed anything, because it is missing the wiring for trailer lights, so that doesn't concern me.

Thanks for all the great responses, if I do buy the van this site will be a great resource!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, we are picking up the Ody today. Final price was $20,600 OTD after taxes and fees. I am really happy with the price, and am looking forward to many years of enjoyment from this van. Thanks again for all the advice!

·
Registered
628 Posts
I have a 2007 EX-L with 65K miles. It has been nearly problem free since our purchase in 12/2006. The only problem I have had was the left side bolster on the driver's seat that was prematurely cracking. It was replaced under warranty at about 45K miles.

Enjoy!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts