Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m going to the dealer tomorrow to possibly purchase a 2017 Ody EX-L, certified, with 30k miles but just slightly over 3 years since the in-service date (according to the Carfax). As such, the 3/36 factory end-to-end warranty has expired, but the 12 month/12k certified coverage and the 7y/100k powertrain coverage will apply.

My questions are about Honda Care extended warranty:
1- am I required to purchase the HC warranty at the time of purchase, or can I wait until just before the 12mo/12k is up?
2- can I purchase the HC warranty at any dealer (just like with a new car), or must I purchase at the dealer selling me the certified vehicle?
3- does the HC warranty cover more than the 12mo/12k warranty?

Any help would be appreciated, the sooner the better! Thanks in advance.

Finally: Please don’t flame me about the cost/benefit analysis of buying the warranty; I sleep better knowing it is there if something big craps out.

·
Registered
821 Posts

Buying the HC is the same as a life insurance. Benefits can vary between owner's need. I'll ask myself a few questions. How long am I keeping the car? am I handy enough to work on the car if something need to be replace (alternator, starter, etc). how much issues this year has, how am I going to be using the car. Some of us here in the forum have only been to the dealer the day we bought the van and when an recall had to be done. So do you math ask yousefl a few question and take your decision.

Good luck with the 2013 and welcome to the forum.

·
Super Moderator
13,638 Posts
For certified, your only choice is to get it at the time of purchase. That answers #1 and #2.

HC may not cover as much as the 12 mo/12K certified wrap but once you are out of your 12 mos/12K, you won't have any coverage so that may impact your sleep.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info and advice ... Apparently it wasn't meant to be, because someone beat me by two hours and bought the Ody I had my eye on. Then I found a non-certified at a used car lot with fewer miles for just a little more. Just barely over 3 years, but 21k miles. I'll have my mechanic check it out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts