Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone bought an '02 straight off the lot without having to do the waiting list thing? I'm curious because a dealer here in Houston called me and said they had what I was looking for ('02 MB EXL-RES) and made it sound as if it was mine for the taking, even though every dealer I've called has a waiting list, including this one.

This is one of the dealers that got a request for a quote that I submitted via carpoint, where I specified the model and color I wanted. I suppose it's possible that all of the waitlisted folks passed on this van, but I wouldn't think that's very common.

I'd really like to skip the whole waiting list ordeal if possible -- not only to avoid the anxiety and impatience of buying it sight unseen and waiting a long time, but also to make sure that there are no surprises (such as blown pixels in the RES display or paint blemishes, etc.).

He left a message and I didn't get a chance to talk to him, but I'll be getting in touch tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
In the poll ending January 22, 16% of the respondents said that they picked up their vehicle the same day they ordered it, which I would assume is what you are talking about.

See <a href="http://home.attbi.com/cgi-bin/PBView?owner=rody2rk">Poll results</a> for 1/22/2002.

Regards,

Maugham<font color="#f7f7f7">

[This message has been edited by Maugham (edited 01-24-2002).]

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shame on me -- I guess I should pay closer attention to those polls... Thanks!

·
Registered
131 Posts
I bought my EXL-RES off the lot. The dealer got it and an EXL in on the same day in late November. I expressed interest in it the first week of Dec. and after he called me several times, I finally bought it. He still had the MB EXL on the lot when I drove mine away.

The whole deal took about 7-10 days to put together because I wasn't happy with my trade-in value for my '00 Olds Silhouette "Premiere". I never put any "hold" money down on the van until the day before I took delivery.

------------------
2002 EXL-RES Redrock Pearl

2001 Chevy 2500HD crewcab 4x4

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think also it depends a lot on timing - being in the right place (or calling at the right time).

I put a deposit on mine on a Wednesday night, and we could have picked it up the next day, but we couldn't until Saturday. So essentially, I didn't wait at all.

Just make calls to as many dealers as you can, and ask them what their inventory is. Also ask if they have any with only a few days left in transit. That means they haven't been sold but will be in any day. That's what I did, and I only had to wait for my availability to get to the dealer.

Only thing is, they will probably ask for at least a $500 deposit (via credit card), which I wasn't too keen about, but make sure it's refundable. I know over the phone it's their word against yours, but at least with a credit card you have some recourse if they try to scam you. If you do give a deposit, make sure they give you the VIN - otherwise they may be taking a deposit for a vehicle they do not have or is not on the way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts