Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to buy a 2001 EXN. I live in Long Beach Calif.
It seems the standard mark-up in this area is $1500.00 above MSRP.
Some of the dealers add Mud Flaps, cargo trays etc;. Some just add the $1500.00
anyone have any good experience with a dealer in this area?
How about the Nav system? Any comments?
How long is the average wait in this area? I want a Silver EXN with leather installed by the dealer so its guaranteed
Anyone have any experience with getting a sun roof installed? Any problems? Cost?

·
Registered
153 Posts
I just picked up my Silver EX-N last night from Rock Honda in Fontana. A bit of a drive, but I got it for MSRP ($28,840 incl. destination).

The salesman I dealt with is named Cedric Herrington. If you call him up and tell him that Brad told you he would get you an Odyssey for MSRP he should go for it.

One caveat. I had no problems with Cedric and the price once I got there, but the 'financial' guys will try to get you to buy accessories and an extended warranty, so you have to fend them off. (I told them that I planned on ordering from the "Handa" website and showed them the prices to see if they would match - of course they "couldn't".) The worst came when they "accidentally" added $495 to the accessories line on the sale contract. We caught it and they corrected it, but I know they try this scam regularly. (My brother-in-law even warned me about it before I went down there.)

Although I really got really annoyed at the back-room maneuvering, the bottom line is I got the van for MSRP (plus the usual government fees of course).

[This message has been edited by Lorax (edited 03-09-2001).]

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi Deano,

That's too high even in S. CA. As Cal Worthington would say, "Drive a little and save a lot"...LOL. Hoehn towards San Diego reportedly sells at MSRP, and Villa Honda in Hemet reporedly sells for MSRP & advertised free delivery anywhere in S. CA.-but I was never able to even get them to answer or respond in any way to my serious inquiries. Spreen Honda in Loma Linda got around to responding after about 6 weeks and three emails, ...they also sell at MSRP. Jesse Gamez at Unicars Honda ( http://www.unicarshonda.com ) not only will go MSRP, but if you negotiate for it, he'll go below MSRP on all your options. He doesn't pressure you for any options, but you can get good deals on them if you try. Jesse also answered our initial email within 24 hours. That's where we ended up buying ours from, and the deal was done over the phone which is nice. When we settled on the price & details, I just had him fax me the deal approved & signed by Unicars. You can even mail him your refundable depsit at that point and never go there until you pick up your vehicle if you want. He also beat the Autobytel dealer I was working with in Henderson, Nevada. Anyway, there is no need to pay over MSRP, nor have to take options you don't want. Get the phone number of Unicars Honda from their website and ask for Jesse Gamez, he'll give you MSRP right out of the gate, plus he'll negotiate option prices if you try... whereas everyone else we talked to wouldn't go below MSRP on options except the dealer in Henderson... and Jesse matched or beat all of his option prices.

Good Luck,
Skybolt

------------------

2001 Starlight Silver LX
Splash Guards
Cargo Tray
Cargo Mat
Keyless Remote Entry & Alarm
Trans. Oil Cooler
Tow Package
Fog Lights

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi Lorax,

All the other dealers could match the "Handa" prices on options if they wanted too. I asked Trevor at the "Handa" site to fax me the installation instructions on the Fog Lights which he most kindly did. I noted the faxed instructions came from CARMICHAEL HONDA. We bought our '90 Accord from CARMICHAEL HONDA in Sacramento (that's where most of our kids live) and so we recognized that as just a regular Honda dealership right off.

CARMICHAEL HONDA is a pretty good outfit, and they are ahead of the curve in cashing in on the Internet concerning Parts sales, which benefits us all. But if one dealership can sell parts below MSRP and still make a profit, so can the others. Example: Trevor sells the Fog Lights for a bit over $300 versus a bit over $400 MSRP. Fog Lights installed are a bit over $500 MSRP. I told my local dealer when I ordered our Ody, that if CARICHAEL HONDA can sell at just over $300 for a profit so could they. I offered $400 even for that option out the door for the FOG Lights _installed & taxed_. They went for it. I figure I would have paid around $22 tax plus addtiional shipping costs just to get the parts from "handa" site. So all in all, I got them installed for around $60 and the dealer matched the Parts price of the "Handa" site. My dealer knew if they weren't going to match it, I was going to get my options elsewhere. So showing them the "Handa" prices did get a favorable response for me. I think the key was when I conveyed to them that the "Handa" prices were really CARMICHAEL HONDA'S prices, ....prices from another Honda dealrship that was verifiable. LOL, sort of like a break in the levy... if you can find one outfit breaking ranks with MSRP, it's easier to get others to follow. And for the ones dragging their feet, just buy the stuff from Trevor instead!

Best Regards,
Skybolt

------------------

2001 Starlight Silver LX
Splash Guards
Cargo Tray
Cargo Mat
Keyless Remote Entry & Alarm
Trans. Oil Cooler
Tow Package
Fog Lights

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'll get '01 SS EX in the end of April. I want to add Cassette player, Fog lights, and Cross Bars into my Ody. I appreciate you for sharing your experience. It'll work for me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Since I already placed an order, the deal on additional accessories in my new Ody didn't work. Anyway, my plan is gonna buy the cassette player and Fog lights thru the web and install them myself or have somebody install for me. However, the dealer still treated me well. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
Tackle the projects yourself. You'll enjoy it if you like to tinker even a little. Think about it, the accessories are made so even the monkeys at the dealership can install them.

If nothing else, take a road trip to Houston and we'll get a few Ody owners together and have the world's first Ody Geek Out.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

·
Registered
22 Posts
Jim, I'll try my best to install them. Anyway, I'll pick my Ody up on Monday afternoon. At last, I'll be a true Ody member. It took 6 weeks to get it after I placed order.
-----
Byron
'01 SS Odyssey EX, air deflector
'98 Hyundai Elantra wagon
'89 Nissan Maxima

·
Registered
84 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bwmin:
Since I already placed an order, the deal on additional accessories in my new Ody didn't work. Anyway, my plan is gonna buy the cassette player and Fog lights thru the web and install them myself or have somebody install for me. However, the dealer still treated me well. Thanks.</font>
Sounds like they were penny wise and pound foolish, LOL... or somethng like that. They probably were betting you'd cave for more money and lost some additional profit by miscalculating you. Good for you!

I actually added my fog lights to the deal after I had already gotten my VIN number. Although, they installed all my other options good, I think they had Peter Tork or one of those other Monkeys Jim accurately described do the Fogs. It's fairly minor, but it gripes me none-the-less! They let the hack saw blade get away from them a bit and put two or three small cuts in the bumper skin down low. I'll probably be the only one to notice... but I'd not have done that. You might take a little longer to install them yourself, but you'll pay closer attention to the back end of your hacksaw blade! You'll save even more doing it yourself too!

Best Regards,
Skybolt

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
There's a lot of personal satisfaction to be gained when you modify your vehicle yourself. You can say "I installed that".

... not to mention the hundreds of dollars in labor you can save by doing a few mods yourself.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

1 - 10 of 10 Posts