Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I just found this forum. What a great resource. I never would have guessed that there was an Internet forum just for Odyssey owners.

Anyway, we have a 2004 Odyssey with about 70K miles on it. In the past 6 months or so, we have started to hear what I would best describe as a high frequency buzzing sound. It comes from either the front driver's side window or the front passenger window, but not at the same time. It appears to come from the top center of the window. When the sound manifests itself, it starts at 55mph and continues above 70mph (we don't drive faster than that).

I can easily reproduce the sound. The strange thing is that from whatever window we hear the sound from, if we roll the offending window down about 1 inch, the sound goes completely away. If you roll the window up, the sound comes back immediately. If you let the speed drop below around 55mph, it goes away. Increase speed to 55 mph- it comes back.

I did a search on the forum thinking this might be a common problem. The only thing I have found is that it might be a wheel bearing. I am pretty sure it is not a wheel bearing!

I wish I could describe the sound better. It is very noticeable but not extremely loud. I would describe it as loud enough where when we first heard it, we thought someone was honking their horn at us a few car lengths back. It is high frequency and very annoying. I tried to record it with my cell phone but all it recorded was wind noise.

To troubleshoot, I checked for obvious stuff- loose seals, something hanging out the door frame vibrating in the wind, etc, but have not found anything. The only thing that I could figure was that maybe it was our after market radio antenna, but that wouldn't explain why we hear the sound at one window and not the other and the sound going away when we roll the window down.

So, any ideas???

Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't have an 04, but my guess is that it's an air leak between the window and the top seal. The air squeezing through the seal under pressure could sound kinda like pursing your lips and making a fart noise…well a little kid fart, us older folks have low frequency;) Anyway, seriously, I would try spraying the seal with silicon aerosol lubricant.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have an 04, but my guess is that it's an air leak between the window and the top seal. The air squeezing through the seal under pressure could sound kinda like pursing your lips and making a fart noise…well a little kid fart, us older folks have low frequency;) Anyway, seriously, I would try spraying the seal with silicon aerosol lubricant.
Great, thanks. That sounds like a very low cost, troubleshooting solution. What exactly is a silicon aerosol lubricant? Like this stuff? I went to the Wamart, Target, and Autozone sites, searched for silicon aerosol lubricant, and nothing came up on any of the sites. Would I just spray that stuff right into the rubber that the top of the glass would seat in when rolled up?

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Front Door Howls in Strong Crosswind: ’99–03 Odyssey

If you’re getting complaints from ’99–03 Odyssey owners of a howl from the top rear corner of the driver’s or front passenger’s door when driving at
high speeds in a strong crosswind, the problem may be there’s not enough door subseal pressure on the body.

Here’s a simple procedure to beef up the subseal pressure without affecting the door adjustment or closing force requirement:

1. Lower the window glass all the way down.

2. Wedge a block of wood between the door latch area and the body.

3. Measure the gap between the top of the door and the body.

4. Carefully bend the top of the doorframe inward 2.0 to 2.5 mm. Reduce this gap 2.0 to 2.5 mm by pushing in on the top of the door frame.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Front Door Howls in Strong Crosswind: ’99–03 Odyssey

If you’re getting complaints from ’99–03 Odyssey owners of a howl from the top rear corner of the driver’s or front passenger’s door when driving at
high speeds in a strong crosswind, the problem may be there’s not enough door subseal pressure on the body.

Here’s a simple procedure to beef up the subseal pressure without affecting the door adjustment or closing force requirement:

1. Lower the window glass all the way down.

2. Wedge a block of wood between the door latch area and the body.

3. Measure the gap between the top of the door and the body.

4. Carefully bend the top of the doorframe inward 2.0 to 2.5 mm. Reduce this gap 2.0 to 2.5 mm by pushing in on the top of the door frame.
OK, thanks. I'll try this if the silicone treatment doesn't work. I'll come back for more instructions on this procedure!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts