Honda Odyssey Forum banner

61 - 80 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just finished my cabin filter replacement. Pretty easy with these instructions/pictures. GREAT TIP on only loosening the left screw vs taking all the way off. While it's all apart I'll take this opportunity to reroute the XM antenna wire and tie wrap it up under the dash.

BTW I should have done this a while ago. Really dirty.

Replaced with Fram Charcoal with Odor.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for the bulb tip. I finally got around to smacking down my dash and after a year of owning my van I finally have a working clock light.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was surprised at how hard I had to hit it for the light to resurrect itself. So hard in fact that the light on the temperature control went out. I had to make a few smaller taps right above it for that light to come back on.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Cabin Filter Replacment

Thanks for posting this URL and the hard work to provide step by step instructions.. I just completed my replacment at 44,000 miles on a 2003 that I bought new... My filter was like the pictures very gross and definetly past due for a change.

Instructions were great. Longest item on my task list was cleaning out all the gunk inside where filter is located.. Do have on simple tip.. I used some bamboo stakes (the kind that hold up garden plants) and took some fantastic and a paper towel to clean the area up good before inserting the new filter.. Top that off with good sucking with Shop Vac..

Thanks again - dont think I would have tackled without the step by step instructions.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm the original owner of a 1999-EX with 410,000 km on it. We've had the van regularly serviced at the dealership since new. Can you believe that theyNEVER recommended a cabin filter replacement -- in spite of it being clearly mentioned in the regular maintenace schedule.

During our major reno work (see posting in Intro thread) I decided to check whether we had a cabin filter and if it had ever been changed?

When I took the glove box out, to my horror the plastic bar was still intact. Can you imagine what the cabin filter looks like after 410,000 km? See attached. We're nice and clean now, but will have to wait a few weeks until we reassemble the rest of the vehicle to start it up.

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
463 Posts
ThomasJacobs,

Just wanted to say thanks for the pictures of replacing the cabin air filter. I'd changed mine twice before on our 04 EX (93,000+) so I had some experience, but being able to just look at your pictures reminded me of what to do and made the job much easier. So, thanks a lot!.

Tom

·
Registered
1 Posts
I want to thank you for the detailed pictures. Just finished the job and I don't think I would have even attempted it without your help.... Hardest part was loosening the left 8mm bolt enough to get the bar down.......helpful hint, I used a pair of tin snips to cut most of the plastic bar away and it only left a little bit to do with a knife. After 120,000 miles first time done..blackened on both sides, some leaves...but just ran the air conditioning and notice a big difference..
Thanks again...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Another thank you for this thread and the excellent write-up. This was a piece of cake with looking at the pictures and seeing what needed done. Took maybe 30 minutes and will be even quicker next time. Well, as long as I don't keep getting interrupted again :)

Had over 105K miles on it. Was pretty nasty, but no longer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok, I just went outside to bang on the dash.

Word to the wise...make sure to do this in the daytime. I did not turn on the overhead lights and misjudged the distance...caught just my pinky on my first big bang. Yowzers.

Decided to try with my left hand as my right is still throbbing. No such luck for me.

I guess I will be ordering the bulb.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Thanks to those who posted this great info on replacing the clock light. I bought the bulbs at Radio Shack and did as you all described, and now we can see the clock at night. The pictures were really helpful! Thanks again. Tom

·
Registered
3 Posts
17 minutes for Clock light! Took longer to drive to/from Radio Shack and find 272-1092 bulbs in mixed up bin. Also replaced Cabin Air filter, only been 153K miles, thnx to How-to in this forum. First time for filter, I bought my 2000 Ody EX second-hand late 2001 w/55K. Yes, I know it is in sched for mx, been blowing it off as not necessary. Had to cut the plastic bar, could not see light through filter when held up to sun. No smells, did not notice efficiency of fan dramatically increase either, must have been forcing some air through.

Been a great vehicle so far. Great on family trips. No tranny problems yet, no cooler, no inline filter, just change fluid every 30K. Only used trailer hitch once, Tennessee to Colorado. Not a heavy load either. No engine mount issues either. Some sliding door problems, worked itself out after cleaning contacts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
cabin filter - never want to meet designer

I'm had my Honda for 194,000 mi so I've done the cabin filter more than a few times. It is the only recurring maint item that doesn't get easier with time. I hope I never meet the designer... I would not want to 'due time' for that privledge!

17 min for the clock light! I've always avoided job. As a kid I worked in a body shop. Anything to do with a dashboard was always 'bad juju'. Even seeing the pics here, I've shied away. But, 17 min? Maybe not so bad after all:0)

·
Registered
7 Posts
EXCELLENT instructions. Hardest part was putting the LHS for the metal bar back in (I didn't loosen the left bolt, just swung it downward. We just bought this minivan last week, it has 160k miles on it and had the ORIGINAL filter. (You can tell if it's the original without tearing the glove-box out, just bend down under the dash and look for that thick plastic piece behind the glove-box, that will tell you all you need to know.)

Took me 35 minutes, and I did it in the dark with a flashlight last night. Used hand-held pruning shears to cut the plastic off, took 10 seconds. Vacuumed the inside of the filter compartment out.

One wrinkle I ran into, the bottom right cover (includes fuse cover) is supposed to slip over a white plastic plug. When I took out the cover, it took the plug out with it. Took me a second to realize it, had to pull the plug out of the cover and put it back in the frame.

A/C runs much quieter and smoother now, and I can already tell a difference in the smell. Saved me $100!

Now to try fixing the wing window motors. That'll save me about $700.

I need to replace the light in the clock too (raps on the dash didn't fix, and at 160k miles...is probably burnt out). I guess I'll look into that too. Have to clean the contacts on the side doors too, I get an alarm buzzer every once in a while over a hill or bump.

GREAT forums!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Great Job OP.

This has to be the hardest air cabin filter I've done. What was Honda thinking?

I also did the air filter and spark plugs. Pretty simple. Just make sure to hand torque the spark plugs.

BTW there are $5 rebates from purolator on both the air cabin and air filter.

·
Registered
93 Posts
61 - 80 of 113 Posts