Honda Odyssey Forum banner

81 - 100 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'll chime in on the clock LED swap - very very easy and the wife is happy now that she doesn't have to dig out her phone at night to see the time.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Changed the cabin filter today took about 20 min, I must have had it changed at some point because the plastic was gone. Didn't take off the plastic floor covers just put tape over it and used a right angle phillips screw driver to remove the glove box screw. Vacuumed, Q-tipped it, and vacuumed again. Air flow is better and the smell is fresher. Bought filter at NAPA $19. Same number of pleats as Honda filter which was $36. Looked at Fram filter at Walmart $30 bucks but fewer pleats. It also had baking soda added to it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Cabin Filter Daja Vu all over again

2001 Ex- I did the initial change and cut the bar etc. (I still have the scars)

After that I had a mechanic change it at 25,000 and 56,000 miles (2006)

Now, after leaving Sunny CA and moving to the midwest, I learned the value of a dollar real quick. So, after five years and me aging five years
pushing 60, I decided to do it myself again and revisit the underside of the dash.

Actually, I just removed the two glove box screws and removed the glove box, I loosened the left 8mm bolt on the bar going accross, I removed the
right 8mm bolt. At this point I slid the bar upward and managed to remove the cover, the air filter and after vacuuming the slot it fits into, I just put everything back.

Did not have to bend or stretch or strain any muscles.

Seemed easier than 10 years ago. Either I have grown wiser or have forgotten everything. At least I remembered to put the filter in.
I think I put it in the "right" direction.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Followed the pics to a tee and just did my 2000 LX , bought it used and it had never been changed. NASTY! We smelled a moldy smell every time we started the air or heater. Now the smell is gone.

On the plastic bar I used a dremmel tool, took 10 seconds for both ends. Never had to loosen the LHS 8mm , just removed the screw and bent the bar out and down and straightened it back when I reinstalled.
Total time from start to finish- 14 min.

Tight quarters but not bad for a 50 yr old, 6 '3"325 lb man.

I love this forum.

·
Registered
16 Posts
As a supplement to the two very long threads on Cabin Filter Replacement and Clock Light Replacement (I posted there, too) in an effort to ease in locating and after conferring with a moderator, I am posting links to

1. A complete set of photos with caption instructions for the cabin filter replacement at:

Picasa Web Albums - Thomas - Honda Odyssey...

also found on page 15 of the thread:

Cabin filter replacement - Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums

by sueandroy entitled Cabin filter replacement

2. An excerpt of photos detailing just the actual bulb replacement process (not dash removal, etc.) for those buying the radio shack bulbs in replacing the Ody Clock light (should read 1999-2004):

Picasa Web Albums - Thomas - Honda Odyssey...

which is also found on page 10 of the thread:

DIY Clock Replacement (with pics!) - Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums

by VT FIJI Graphix entitled DIY Clock Light Replacement (with pics!)
thanks for this, really helped

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Can somebody give me the part number for the green bulb inside the cruise control button? Better, a link where I can look up the parts?

·
Registered
4 Posts
this forum is a great find!!! We bought the cabin filter some time ago and understood it is a horrid task, so haven't gotten around to putting it in. Now we will look at those links and see if we can follow directions! BTW, we have a 2001 Ody and I sure have loved the ride, room, and so on. There was mention of a weak tranny. will address that in the area for that in the forum...

·
Registered
6,074 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Damn, wished I check these pictures first, lost the left side bolt in behind the lower storage box. Anyone, know how to remove the lower box and popping the door open.

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
See the attached. Happy bolt hunting :DD

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Cabin filter debris will work it's way around and settle in the evaporator core causing the aluminum to corrode and causing a leak. Way more money than an inexpensive cabin filter, not to mention your health breathing in all the stuff that is growing on a dirty cabin filter/science project.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Just wanted to say that I did this exact same process on an 07 Honda Pilot... but I didn't bother retaining the metal bar. It doesn't do anything structural and the glovebox is fine also.

Weight savings FTW.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Quick tip on the clock light, make sure to test the new bulb after installing it by inserting the car key to ignition. Don't just turn on the headlights. It won't work. I turned a 20 minute job into 1.5 hrs trying to trouble shoot why mine didn't work.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I don't have clock light and "mode" light. Questions:-
1) Are the bulbs same? I have purchased the twin pack from radio shack
2) Can both be replaced in one surgery i.e. when I take the panel off, do I also have access to "mode" light?

Thanks,
- Vikas

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I don't have clock light and "mode" light. Questions:-
1) Are the bulbs same? I have purchased the twin pack from radio shack
2) Can both be replaced in one surgery i.e. when I take the panel off, do I also have access to "mode" light?
Answering in case somebody else wants to know the answers. Besides, I hate unanswered questions in a forum.

NO the bulbs are not the same but they do work. However, original bulb has blue sleeve over it which gives nice white light. The replacement radio shack bulbs are too small, so I did NOT transfer the sleeves. The tint is now yellowish after the replacement.

I have tried to find bare bulbs on internet but could not locate the correct wattage (1.4W) with the correct diameter (4.14mm) If I find them, I might go and redo it but otherwise it is good enough. This was also the first time I took the connectors out. The latches are on the bottom.

Hopefully, this will help the other guys.

·
Registered
464 Posts
the dealer charged 5 or $10 to replace it, doing it yourself costs about the same, if you cant afford that you have bigger problems.
I've been driving without a clock light ever since I got the van.
I decided that neither paying the dealer nor doing it myself is
worth it. But just yeasterday I read through this thread and
some older threads about the clock and I learned that some people fix the clock with just few taps on the dashbord.
I tried it, and after 4 fairly hard taps the clock light started to work.
I am not sure if this will last, but it is worth trying. Honda should be embarrased for all the little issues the van suffers (clock,
very poorly designed controls on the steering wheeel, all the
rattles,...).

81 - 100 of 113 Posts
About this Discussion
112 Replies
67 Participants
KCallahan
Honda Odyssey Forum
Odyclub community is the #1 forum to discuss all things Honda Odyssey: minivans, safety, service maintenance, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing