Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 357 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If anyone is interested, I have just completed a write-up, including detailed photos of the removal and replacement of the cabin filter in our 2001 Odyssey. The link can be found at: http://users.accesscomm.ca/jigsaw/filter.pdf
Hope this helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
700 Posts
Link works, thanks for the great write-up!

As a side note, I did not remove the left screw completely. Only slacked it a bit, enough to pivot the metal bar down. It clears the filter door allright. Starting the thread on that left screw is difficult. Slacking the screw avoids that difficult step.

Dont know about you, but I cant save the pdf file from "File > save as". The workaround: File > send > page by email, and I send the page to myself. From the email I receive form myself, I can save the page attachment as a pdf file on my hard drive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
twiggy144 said:
Link works, thanks for the great write-up!

As a side note, I did not remove the left screw completely. Only slacked it a bit, enough to pivot the metal bar down. It clears the filter door allright. Starting the thread on that left screw is difficult. Slacking the screw avoids that difficult step.

Dont know about you, but I cant save the pdf file from "File > save as". The workaround: File > send > page by email, and I send the page to myself. From the email I receive form myself, I can save the page attachment as a pdf file on my hard drive.
Glad it worked for you. I did not have too much trouble re-installing left hand bolt. That is why I removed it, to avoid stressing the metal bar. If not removing bolt works, do it.
:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
700 Posts
wallstreet123456 said:
How often should the cabin filter be replaced?
Hard to tell. between one and 2 years of average usage. I washed mine after one year with dish soap and warm water. The water in the sink was black. Maybe second year I will get a new filter, which is going to be this summer, come to think of it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey said:
Thanks sueandroy.
:cheers: Glad to have helped. :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,194 Posts
sueandroy said:
If anyone is interested, I have just completed a write-up, including detailed photos of the removal and replacement of the cabin filter in our 2001 Odyssey. I am not sure how to post a PDF and probably cannot, but if anyone is interested in this, please let me know and I can e-mail the PDF to you. If I can post it in the Tech section then let me know and I will do that.

Thanks
Thanks for the writeup..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
sueandroy
I just completed the cabin filter replacement. It took me about 45 minutes. I'm a mechanicly challenged 60 year old so if I can do it anyone can. Surprisingly the easiest part for me was the right hand glove box screw. No problem out or in. I used a cheap offset screw driver. The tape was a great idea. I had the hardest problem with the left side bracket bolt. It yook about 5 minutes and a few profanities to get it started. Overall not a hard job. I have 28,000 miles on the Van and the existing filter wasn't in bad shape at all. Same for the intake filter. I changed that also.
The next project is the front brakes.

Thanks Again

Chris:) :) :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
chrisj2641 said:
sueandroy
I just completed the cabin filter replacement. It took me about 45 minutes. I'm a mechanicly challenged 60 year old so if I can do it anyone can. Surprisingly the easiest part for me was the right hand glove box screw. No problem out or in. I used a cheap offset screw driver. The tape was a great idea. I had the hardest problem with the left side bracket bolt. It yook about 5 minutes and a few profanities to get it started. Overall not a hard job. I have 28,000 miles on the Van and the existing filter wasn't in bad shape at all. Same for the intake filter. I changed that also.
The next project is the front brakes.

Thanks Again

Chris:) :) :)
Glad to hear that all went well. It certainly is not too hard to do. I recommend the job to all...save money wherever possible.

:p :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,993 Posts
An hour labor (!) and $40 for the filters. You're over a hundred bucks for this silly thing at the dealer.

Worst case, I'll do it once and take the filters out and leave them out. What are we, wimps? For how many years did we "suffer" without such silly things that marketing people have now foisted on us?

No loss to leave the filters out, believe me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,382 Posts
adam1991 said:
An hour labor (!) and $40 for the filters. You're over a hundred bucks for this silly thing at the dealer.

Worst case, I'll do it once and take the filters out and leave them out. What are we, wimps? For how many years did we "suffer" without such silly things that marketing people have now foisted on us?

No loss to leave the filters out, believe me.
Considering the crud that I find trapped by and in front of the filter I don't think it's very wise to simply remove the filter. It might be a pain to change, or just clean, the filter but I'd hate to have all that junk plugging the heater/AC core.

Just my 2¢ worth,
Mel
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
Mel said:
Considering the crud that I find trapped by and in front of the filter I don't think it's very wise to simply remove the filter. It might be a pain to change, or just clean, the filter but I'd hate to have all that junk plugging the heater/AC core.

Just my 2¢ worth,
Mel
I agree with you , plus it's only an 30 minutes job the first time you do it (cutting the plastic and looking around for the bolts to remove) and after it's only a 10 minutes job...I guest It's would be a bigger job to remove the heater/AC core for cleaning...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,993 Posts
but guys.....this isn't an issue, since the stuff blows right through and you clean it up when you clean the inside of the car.

Let me ask you: what happened to all of this stuff in years BEFORE there were things such as cabin air filters?

It was never dangerous. It never clogged a heater core. You never worried about any of that before, correct?

So please, tell me: what about putting a filter in there suddenly causes this stuff that was never a concern before, to be a major concern? What about putting a filter in there suddenly causes this stuff to plug up the heater core, where it never did before? And where no one ever worried about it before?

The filter is simply in line inside the air system. Take it out, and the system behaves like your previous vehicles, the ones without a cabin air filter.

I think you see the 30K miles worth of crud and somehow get scared simply because it's all concentrated right there. Sure, if you ingested all of that all at once, you'd choke.

And you know what? When you go outside and breathe, you're getting the very same stuff in your lungs that would otherwise be going inside the van if the filter wasn't there.

So please, enlighten me: why is the lack of a filter suddenly such a HUGE issue to the point where we have to be scared NOT to have it in there?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes I agree...but...I don't think the filter is a bad idea...but it is a money grab for the manufacturer. Parts and labour charges from the dealer would be well over a $100.00 and multiply that by the number of vehicles that have these filters, and you are looking at a pretty big cash cow.

This is the first vehicle we have ever had with a filter and have not really missed it before. That said... the concept of having "filtered" air may appeal to someone with breathing disorders etc. It probably will not eliminate 100% of all dust and pollen, but would probably really help. Driving with the windows open will, of course totally eliminate the need for a filter and is possibly the cause of the outlet side of the filter being dirty upon removal. A sort or reverse filtering phenom?:stupid:

They should invent a filter/helmet unit for us cyclists. Hmmmm, let me see. Big profits for the inventor.

I will keep one in our van, as it is not a big deal to change and then marvel as to how much s*&$ there really is in our air.

P.S. If you have fogging windows on a cool or rainy day, check your filter. Perhaps it is plugged and you are not getting fresh air into the cabin. Ours did that before I changed filters. AC removes the fogging, but also uses more fuel.

Just my 21/2 cents.:dizzy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Dealer Replaces Filter at 30K

My 2002 Ody stinks- and has for some time. After reading this thread, I asked my dealer if the cabin filter was ever replaced. He said replacement is part of the 30K mile service. I asked him to see if mine had been changed (I am in the shop for the tranny recall) as the truck does reek. He checked and said the part had been changed at 30K miles. Readers may want to check with their service dept before spending the money replacing the filter themselves.

Now if I could only get rid of that smell...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,594 Posts
For those that think the filter is not that necessary. When our 95 civic had it's evaporator core replaced they sent the old one home with my wife. All I can say is yuk, That car needed a filter.

To Ron C.
You need to make sure the car drips when the ac is on, otherwise the drain may be clogged. Try to limit the use of recirculate. You need fresh air esp. in wet weather. There is a product that you spray into the outside air intake called refrig a fresh or some such for killing molds in auto ac systems. Also just because the dealer said they changed the filter doesn't mean it was done.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,685 Posts
Re: Dealer Replaces Filter at 30K

Ron C said:
My 2002 Ody stinks- and has for some time. After reading this thread, I asked my dealer if the cabin filter was ever replaced. He said replacement is part of the 30K mile service. I asked him to see if mine had been changed (I am in the shop for the tranny recall) as the truck does reek. He checked and said the part had been changed at 30K miles. Readers may want to check with their service dept before spending the money replacing the filter themselves.

Now if I could only get rid of that smell...
How is your power output? One or two of the underhood hamsters may have died and be decomposing in the bottom of the cage. :stupid:

Jerry O.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Don't think I didn't look! No dead hamsters- plenty of power.

The dealier said he did not think the Ody smelled at all. Boy Was he off base.
 
1 - 20 of 357 Posts
Top