Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to minimize road noise in the cabin? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
810 Posts
Changing the tires is all you can do. Goodyear Comfortreads are MUCH quieter than stock tires.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I was speaking in reguards to the gen3 Ody. For the Gen4 Ody, I dont think there is much you can do, they are already quiet.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Really? Man..I drove one after I bough mine and it was Night and day.....So the new ones are Louder?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes really! as I remember reading on some reviews(consumer reports, cars.com etc), many complain that the new Sienna is louder than the last model.
I never drove the 3rd generation Ody, but my 2011 Touring is as quiet as my brother Sienna.

·
Registered
9,302 Posts
You can install sound deadening material inside the van like B-Quiet sound deadening material. Maybe start with the easy places like the lazy susan compartment and then move into the floor pan.

On the caution side, I think some have complained that this gives off an odor when the van is left in the hot sun.

·
Banned
728 Posts
The only thing you can do is skip the mini van segment and buy a luxury SAV like the BMW X5 or the Mecedes ML350. These vans are noisy and I've driven both the 2011 Sienna and Odyssey. People who say they are quiet haven't driven luxury autos or have come from smaller noisier vehicles.

Having said that, if you need a mini van, the Sienna has a slight advantage in the interior noise department, but we thought the Ody was the better choice overall and picked a near base model and we treat it like the transportation appliance that it is. It does a grat job for what it is though. On anything but a newer asphalt road, we dislike the road noise, but we live with it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've had significant wind noise in my 2011 EX-L since I bought it a year ago. I've had a dealer verify the problem and I contacted Honda about it, but so far there's been no fix or suggested solutions from Honda. Very annoying, especially during interstate driving and when the wind picks up just a little.

Other than that, the van has been great.

·
Registered
632 Posts
wear a Bose noise cancelling headphones over ear plugs eliminates cabin noise and also good if somebody throws a tantrum at the back.

·
Registered
9,302 Posts
I've had significant wind noise in my 2011 EX-L since I bought it a year ago. I've had a dealer verify the problem and I contacted Honda about it, but so far there's been no fix or suggested solutions from Honda. Very annoying, especially during interstate driving and when the wind picks up just a little.

Other than that, the van has been great.
It's easy to isolate the source of wind noise. Get a roll of blue painters tape (it won't stick to the van's paint). Put it on a seam where a door meets the body. Go for a test drive. If the noise is gone, that's where to look further. If not, remove it and try another place. It could be a tedious process, but wind noise can be a bigger nuisance especially on a long drive.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I feel like my TE is pretty quiet.

Of course this is compared to the '03 Highlander that it replaced, the '09 Prius and the ragtop. It does seem quieter than my old first generation Lexus RX300.

Certainly, it's the smoothest ride we own. I even find myself picking it over the convertible despite the pleasant weather :)

Still, my coworkers drive Landrovers and Lexuses, and I don't notice a HUGE difference in cabin noise.

Maybe it's my particular tires. Maybe it's Houston roads. Maybe all the other cars were just crazy loud.

We are going to Lufkin, TX in a couple of weeks where the state roads have always sounded insufferably loud to me (different material?).

We'll see how the TE handles it....

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2015 ex-l. The noise is bad on concrete roads and bridges only. I have a bad problem with what sounds like body flex and creaking noise. Any answers for that?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Check cold tire pressures and set by the body sticker. Creaking on driveway entrances, etc., is the front strut mounts - the dealer will lube them. Otherwise treat all door gaskets with preservative/lubricant. For wind noise, check all window and sun roof switches to make sure all are closed all the way. Do this every day because you never know when they will decide to slightly open. The remote causes it but I don't know how or why. Possibly there is a fix at the dealer.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I've got my winter tires on now - Continental Extreme Winter Contact, and they are not noisy In fact, the only time mine was noisey was when we first got i and it had Conti Pro Contact tires on it. They were horrible noisey!!! Replaced them with Conti True Contact and the ride was much quieter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We bought a 2015 exl and noticed that all the loudness and harshness is due to the poor insulation or lack of insulation in the flooring and wheel wells as compared to the Sienna.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts