Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced the cable reel assembly on my 2010 Honda Odyssey. This assembly is sometimes referred to as the clock spring.

What this assembly does:
Have you ever wondered how the buttons that control the radio and cruise control on your steering wheel work even though the wheel is constantly being turned? The cable reel assembly is what allows this to work. The assembly consists of a coiled ribbon cable inside of a housing that un-coils as you turn the steering wheel in one direction and re-coils when you turn the steering wheel in the other. The assembly housing is sealed and replaced as a single unit.
Technology Cable Wire Electronic device

I found very little information on how to perform this work on this exact Honda model though there are some videos, etc. on other Hondas and other year Odysseys. My Odyssey is a 2010 and considered a generation 3. I cannot guarantee all gen 3s are identical when performing this replacement.

Some replacement tips:
First, view the videos that are available on-line for Honda cars. These videos are similar to the Odyssey and will get you 80% of the way there. The most elusive step in replacing the cable reel assembly is getting the old assembly off. The assembly is held on by two clips that are part of the assembly itself. For this model, leave the bottom clip in place and pull the assembly from the top to remove it. You have to slightly lift from the top and back of the assembly and slide it forward pulling the assembly toward yourself. If you un-clip the bottom first and lift up you cannot get the top clip to release and you will get very frustrated.
Second, do NOT remove the yellow assembly lock until the very last moment. The last moment is when you are about to re-install the steering wheel. You do not want the cable reel assembly to turn a rotation in either direction when installing or you risk breaking the assembly again during normal driving. The internal cable cannot be under stress as the wheel is being turned while driving. The lock is visible as part of the assembly on the lower left side just above the letters SRS. See the photo above.

This is a photo of the back of the assembly where I have high-lighted the two clips.
Auto part

Upon removing the air bag, disconnect the air bag cable and the cable that goes from the steering wheel to the cable reel assembly. Take photos as you go to refer to for cable routing, etc. when re-assembling.
I encountered a new type of cable connector when performing this work. They are yellow and have a black locking slide. Slide back the black slide and the connector will separate. There are two of these type of connectors.
Wire Yellow Electrical connector Technology Cable

Use a Sharpie marker and mark the steering wheel and the steering wheel shaft so you can align them both later when re-installing the steering wheel.

Purchasing the cable reel assembly:
I located the genuine Honda part # 77900-SHJ-A71 from a Honda dealer located in Massachusetts who sells Honda parts at a discount on-line. My cost was $67.00 with shipping.
Be sure to confirm the exact part number for your year and model prior to purchasing any part.

I hope the above information helps you. Sorry no video. I was to concerned with successfully completing the task to take time to record it. Please post question if I can help.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I have not heard of anyone needing to replace one of these on an Odyssey. I've replaced them on other cars. Nice write-up but the picture aspect of this forum is not working unless you link to another site.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I realize this is a fairly old thread but I came across at searching for the solution to a problem I'm having. A few years ago I broke the cable reel not realizing that it has to be set at a very specific position. So I purchased a new one and installed it basically using the steps above.

The problem I have now is that when the steering wheel is turned in one direction everything is fine. But when it's turned in the other direction there is a sound as if the spool is releasing its tension and rubbing against itself. It's kind of annoying but other than that everything works perfectly (no SRS lights).

I did not remove the yellow tabs prior to installing the steering wheel so I'm wondering if there's some lubricant that's supposed to be in there to prevent the cable from rubbing against itself or at least making noise?

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you for this post! The information about removing the old part was particularly helpful.

I imagine more of us with 2010s will need to do this at some point.

In my case, I lost my horn, cruise control, and the SRS Airbag light came on at the same time. A quick google search indicated it was very likely an issue with the "clock spring".

Thanks for the info on the part. I also ordered a 77900-SHJ-A71 from hondapartsnow.com. The total came to $130 with shipping.

I found this youtube video very helpful. It's from a CRV, but the process is (almost) identical.

Note that you DO NOT have to remove the entire blinker assembly as shown in this video. After you remove the plastic shroud, skip the rest and go straight to removing the cable reel assembly.

As noted by the OP, removing the old cable reel assembly is tricky. I slid a narrow flat-head screwdriver under the top clip of the clock spring assembly and that released the top clip pretty easily.

As the OP also noted, do not remove the yellow tab until you are ready to slide the steering wheel back on.

Overall, took me less than 2 hours, and it works great!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts