Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to calibrate the thermometer on an '11 EX-L? The owner manual makes it seem like it's only doable on a Touring model. Mine consistently reads 8-10 degrees F over, which is roughly 10% error given our summer temps.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
14,502 Posts
If the temps are that off after you driving around, take it in. You might have a faulty outside temperature sensor.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Did you compare the temperature reading with another thermometer located next to the car? It may really be 10 degrees hotter on the pavement in the sun then the local news station reports. I have been reading close to 120 degrees in my car while driving around in the middle of the afternoon. It is just crazy hot this summer. :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did forget to mention that the temps are 10% off even after driving around. But no, I haven't tried reading with a standalone thermometer. That's a good idea. I have a highly accurate thermocouple I can stick out the window as I drive. I'll give that a try, but I'm almost certain the temp reading in the car is way off.
Thanks for the tips!

·
Banned
727 Posts
We have had several Honda vehicles and have found that the temperature takes a long time to adjust itself (from a warm garage to a -30C day) and the final temperature reading is never accurate. Maybe it is because the thermometer sensor is in the wrong place or maybe it isn't a particularly accurate system. I don't rely on it for accuracy in our 2011 Odyssey or 2003 Accord.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Is it possible to calibrate the thermometer on an '11 EX-L? The owner manual makes it seem like it's only doable on a Touring model. Mine consistently reads 8-10 degrees F over, which is roughly 10% error given our summer temps.

Thanks!
Never tried this, but if this helps, according to the manual (except the LX) you can do some adjusting (up to +/- 5F). Not perfect, but at least it will be much closer :)

Check page 80:

To adjust the outside temperature
display, press and hold the select/
reset knob for 10 seconds.

NOTE: The temperature must be
stabilized before doing this
procedure.

Select the outside temperature
display by pressing and releasing the
select/reset knob. Press and hold
the same knob for a few seconds to
enter this setting, then turn it to
adjust the temperature. The
following sequence will appear for
each: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 5, 4, 3, 2,
1, 0 (U.S.) or 0, 1, 2, 3, 3, 2,
1, 0 (Canada).

When the temperature reaches the
desired value, release the select/
reset knob. You should see the new
outside temperature displayed.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I figured mine was off by about 3 degrees but I didn't even think it was possible to adjust. I tried the method posted by BigBoat and it worked perfectly.

Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I noticed that our EX-L has been reading ridiculously high most of the time as well - didn't think about recalibrating it.

Does anyone know where the actual sensor is?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Mines been reading high also. A 4 mile drive to Work is not enough for it to reach a steady state. If it's 70F outside but 85deg in my garage, it will trickle down to maybe 80-83 deg. Where is the temperature sensor located anyways?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts