Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In another post, I discussed my frustration that California's 6 yr, 60 pound booster seat law was not being enforced. Well, I found out why. Seems the smart people in Sacramento signed it into law January 1, 2001, but it is not going to be required until January 1, 2002. To me, this is utterly ridiculous. I called our county health department and inquired, and I was told that it would take a year to establish education services, how things would be funded, advertising programs, etc. So, in the meantime, four- and five- year olds are expendable! And what amazes me is the number of people I know who say "well, it's not the law, so I'm not going to do it until I have to."

My daughter started kindergarten this week, and she is getting a ride from school to daycare from a good friend. She has a four-year old son in her class. When I requested that she put my car seat in her car for these rides, she was quite hesitant. Seems a fireman friend told them that after four years of age car seats were unnecessary AND GET THIS -- kids should only be restrained by the center lap belt, because the shoulder straps can hurt them! So she's been putting her son in the middle seat of her Tahoe with only a lap belt! I gave her an earful. She said she didn't even think about how her son could sustain severe abdominal injuries and could smash his head on her center console. So now, she is putting him back in a booster, and when my daughter is in the car she'll take him out and let her ride in it. Well, at least my daughter will be safe... (mind you the ride is about 1 block each day. But I can't risk it - there's lots of traffic and school buses.)

When I got off the phone with her, it made me feel like I was paranoid and overreacting. But I know I'm not!

Oh - and I also read online that some states actually do not have child restraint laws for kids over age 10, and that in some states it is not illegal to hold your baby in your lap for nursing. There need to be big changes here, or more innocent children are going to be killed!

Thanks for letting me vent again.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I just purchased 3 booster seats for my 6 and 8 year olds and a spare for carpooling purposes with other kids. I am grateful to those who have brought this safety issue to the awareness of everyone on this forum! I have been reading up on this and am amazed at how uninformed I was. Thanks to everyone for alerting myself and others to this need for booster seats!

------------------
On the waiting list for my '02 EX Nav in RED!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Moonatics - your comment about it being legal in some states to hold a kid in your lap while nursing brought to mind this story - when my wife was in medical school she had a lecture from the county coroner. He showed an autopsy photo of a beautiful baby girl that looked perfectly normal except for a strange semi-circular mark by her eye, a straight mark down her cheek, and another semicircular mark on her chin. The coroner asked if anyone new what had killed her - no one knew. The marks were indentations from the car radio knobs - she had been asleep in someone's lap in the front seat when another car pulled out in front of the car she was riding in and she slammed forward into the dash.

Our local State Farm (we have one of the big regional offices) has safety seat check days. I always take the van and have the seats checked. I used to think I had the seats in tight enough, but they have tightened them down even more for me (I am not a big guy, so I can't put as much pressure on the seat). They will also check their database for recalls. It is worth the time and trouble - they usually have activities for the kids, too. Your local fire station might do it, too.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Our local health department and fire department do car seat safety checks. I guess they say about 85-90 percent of seats are improperly installed...

"Ody" is a good example of a caring parent who simply did not have the information that should be promoted to every parent in every state. It is great that Ody got boosters for his/her kids! Now I will not be the only Southern Californian with a child of 8 in a seat (three years down the line for us). Let's keep spreading the info to others to make sure all kids will be protected!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts