Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd read some posts saying that they use a California Duster as a quick touch-up between washings.

I have used it several times and it tends to leave "waxy" residue or streaks. Does this lessen as the unit gets used? Is mine "overly saturated" with the baked on wax? Any tips from users of this product? I am not overly happy with this product as I must now wipe off the residue.

------------------
2002 MB EXL NAV
Cargo Tray, iVES, Zaino, Poron Reverse Sensors, Door Edge Guards, Fogs, & more ZAINO!!

·
Registered
596 Posts
The first few uses tend to deposit some of the waxy residue. To properly use the duster, in my experience, you must learn to use a VERY light touch. Just barely let the duster contact the surface, not even letting the full weight of the duster come to bear on the vehicle. I also have learned that the duster does a much better job on a cold vehicle, so I take five minutes, or less, and do mine in the morning. Of course, I have one of those garages, which a lot of folks seem not to know the purpose of, and the paint is always dry. On a warm or hot surface, even an old duster tends to leave its calling card, i.e. streaks of waxy stuff. Hope this helps you to enjoy a neat tool.

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
I read the instructions and "primed" it by sticking it on my patio for 24 hours on some newspaper. The newspaper soaked up the excess paraffin, and I never got any streaks on my car. So, take your duster, set it rag side down on some newspaper overnight. Then re-adjust the position of rags (strings) and let it sit for the rest of the day (but in the shade, not sunlight!). After that, you'll notice alot of excess wax soaks into the paper. Voila, no more streaks....
-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
Registered
478 Posts
Jerry O- I think most people realize that the garage is the proper place to store lots of mostly useless junk!
What few seem to understand though, is that a garage can actually be used to store an automobile! I have just recently discovered that little known fact, and have 1 car in there right now (not bad considering I have a 3 car garage)

On a more serious note, who has the best deal on these things-Pep Boys, Autozone...?

------------------
'02 RRP EX NAV
Mudguards,cargo tray,Weathertech mats, Bug deflector, lampguards, gold emblems, 17" TSW Spirit wheels with 235/55 Dunlop Sport A2 tires (Some installed, some in the garage, some on the way!)
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ody:

On a more serious note, who has the best deal on these things-Pep Boys, Autozone...?
</font>
Got mine at Costco. Forgot exactly how much though... It was a dual set, one regular sized one, and a smaller one I use for inside the car: the dash, etc...

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
Registered
478 Posts
Thanks, I have a Costco near us (need to get a membership). I will check it out.

------------------
'02 RRP EX NAV
Mudguards,cargo tray,Weathertech mats, Bug deflector, lampguards, gold emblems, 17" TSW Spirit wheels with 235/55 Dunlop Sport A2 tires (Some installed, some in the garage, some on the way!)
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

·
Registered
564 Posts
Costco is the place. The set of two will cost you less than the single item at an auto store.

------------------
-= Darell =-
2001 Civic EX - currently the BIG car.
1997 EV1 - "This is NOT your father's golf cart"

·
Registered
39 Posts
Don't wash it. It actually works better the more you use it. I have one that I have been using for well over 10 years now. The ends of the "mop" are black, but it does not affect how it works. I occasionally clean it using a vacuum cleaner.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have one that I have used for two years on my Ram truck. Believe me the dirtier the duster gets the better it works...no I don't know why, but it does.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'll second the votes in favor of the duster. It is a great touch-up tool. I'll also suggest that using something called a California water blade to dry the vehicle is great too. It is made of very soft silicone and I like it so much better than chamois.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts