Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently replaced all my brake pads on all four wheels but there was one guide pin on my passenger front caliper that is frozen to hell. I beat it like a drum, sprayed penetrating oil, and even went to home depot and got a propane torch but to no avail. I was able to still change the brakes on that wheel because I just folded up the caliper as the bottom guide pin came out fine.

I've been driving it like that for a while now but it seems like I've lost a bit of braking power even though there's plenty of meat on my brakes. Is this because of that stuck guide pin and should I just buy a new caliper for $60 that comes with caliper, caliper bracket, slide brackets, and new guide pins. Seems like that's just the best option.

·
Registered
12,021 Posts
Yeah, you will have abnormal brake pad wear if you leave the pin siezed up. You really just need a bracket. If you buy a caliper from the local parts store I'd see if you can just swap the bracket and return the new caliper and old bracket as a core. I don't like the reman and new aftermarket calipers and avoid them if I can. Or you could see if you can find a caliper bracket from a wrecking yard. Or just buy a new bracket from the dealer, if it's available.

·
Registered
275 Posts
The inside pad will wear out in no time if you continue to drive like that. The caliper basically isn't "floating" and clamping properly.

The best thing you can do, without having to continue working on that pin is to get a brand new caliper bracket and a set of new pins, which doesn't cost that much. You can buy just the bracket from RockAuto if your local auto stores don't carry them.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The inside pad will wear out in no time if you continue to drive like that. The caliper basically isn't "floating" and clamping properly.

The best thing you can do, without having to continue working on that pin is to get a brand new caliper bracket and a set of new pins, which doesn't cost that much. You can buy just the bracket from RockAuto if your local auto stores don't carry them.
Thanks I appreciate it. But I just ordered the whole caliper because it was a good price $60 after core rebate. Just put it in and man the brakes feel brand new. I just caught it in the nick of time because the inside pad just started wearing a bit thinner too. The bracket itself was like $35 from auto zone and I would of had to wait like 4 days for them to order the guide pins so screw it just got the whole assembly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts