Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in a bind in a smaller town, nobody had a caliper in stock. I pulled the calipers off to replace the pads, they were binding. Binding because the pins (item 14, 23 here: Honda Automotive Parts ) were gunked up with dirt/rust/sand and a little bit of yuk due to the rubber dust cover boot failing---now in removing these pins, one of them has a rubber bushing that slips right on the shaft of the pin, the other doesn't.

Couple questions:

1. Is it the top or bottom pin that gets the rubber bushing? (Yes I messed up and didn't keep track of which one it is)

2. What type of lube should be on these pins---if any?

I did located a new pin set and the rubber accordion style dust cover in town and will pulling this off again to replace the dust boots.

I called the Honda dealer----they sell the pin set,,,,,,,,,but nope don't sell the rubber dust covers (which is really the cause of the failure) and the only way to get new rubber dust covers from Honda is a whole caliper (notice the parts diagram doesn't call them out either)

·
Registered
664 Posts
Order caliper rebuild kits. They shouldn't be more than 30-40 a piece.

You just need caliper housing bolts and caliper hardware kit.

·
Registered
79 Posts
you should grease the pins with any good high temp grease. Naturally, you'll want them as clean as possible before you do this.

The accordion boots have a part that fits in the caliper bracket that could look like a bushing if it tore off the boot and came out w/ the pin. :huh:

Attached is a better picture than the one from the parts diagram.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,638 Posts
Go aftermarket for the rubber dust covers I supose.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you should grease the pins with any good high temp grease. Naturally, you'll want them as clean as possible before you do this.

The accordion boots have a part that fits in the caliper bracket that could look like a bushing if it tore off the boot and came out w/ the pin. :huh:

Attached is a better picture than the one from the parts diagram.

hmmm,,,,,I redid these last night, cleaned out alot of the grease I had put in the night before--yes I know I had over greased them and had a "air lock" on one that was pushing it back towards the rotor causing a problem.

Interesting about the accordion boot part that fits in the caliper bracket--yes that did tear off and came out with the pin-- looked like a small rubber washer/piece of the rubber similar to the sleeve that fit on one of the pins---in putting the new boots on, I didn't notice anything special about that---hopefully as I put the boot on and pulled it over the obvious shoulder that part went inside as it should.

I am getting quite good at this now, (two nights in row), if I decide to redo it again to verify its right it won't take long:rollingeyes:

And I am jealous of your picture---can I ask where you got that---it looks much better quality with more detail.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts