Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi My mom just got her 11 Odyssey about 3 months ago since then it has been on a road trip to the black hills South Sakota and Utah. We just reached 6000 miles. There are a few things she wishes she had on the van, the optional under lighting in the interior and HIDs. I am in the process of making custom lenght LED strips to place in the interior off of a relay by using the over head light switch(the 3 positon) does any one have a wiring diagram for this?

For the HIDs what wattage does everbody go with? I was think 55w all around for the optimal lighting. Or will 55w be to powerful for the lenses? And for the High beam/Running light i am confused on what to get as far as this, is the high beam a bi xenon or does it have lack of power untill high beam is switched? So there is the ricer part gotta have the HIDs.

And since we just crossed over that 6000 mile mark the OLM is at 15%. For oil would a 5w-20 Valvoline synthetic with a Fram tough gaurd filter be fine? or will this void the warranty with Honda?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Just get a 35w-- it's enough. I would not use hid on higjh beam/DRL.

·
Super Moderator
13,843 Posts
Welcome to the club Mr. Ricer. Please spend a few moments around here and search for a couple of things here and there. The service issue, the HID issue and the interior light issue has been beat to death. I would assume you can look at the interior light install instructions on HandA and then use those to install your custom interior lights as the factory ones suck.

·
Registered
61 Posts
if you use 55w HIDs there is a good chance you may be stopped by the cops depending on where you live and IMO it is incosiderate to other drivers due to the intense brightness and glare they create. There is a reason why all OEM HIDs in any car are 35W...

·
Registered
61 Posts
I wouldn't use HIDs in the high beams. If you want a brighter, whiter light, you can try the philips Crystal vision ultras. They give you a look and brightness similar to HIDs...The DRLs are the same bulb as the high beams but they just run on a lower voltage.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Halogen lamps were never intedned to use HID bulbs. If you do convert be sure and change the lamps so you don't glare the other drivers to blindness.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Welcome to the club Mr. Ricer. Please spend a few moments around here and search for a couple of things here and there. The service issue, the HID issue and the interior light issue has been beat to death. I would assume you can look at the interior light install instructions on HandA and then use those to install your custom interior lights as the factory ones suck.
As per the 2011? I did some searching put in HID, hid, Hid, and nothing came up under search. Also tried Oil life, First oil change, Oil change, and nothing for the 2011 came up. Only some stuff about break in oil. Just trying to see if my 5w-20 valvoline synthetic was fine since there has been confusion on factory fill oil. I do have experience in the forums(not this one but many others) so i am very familiar with the search function. And not trying to start a fight, but stuff that has been beat to death on ALL of the forums i have been on are stickied for quick and easy referance, just a thought. Also for the HandA site, it just explains how using a factory harness you can install the lights All plug and play. Guess its time to break out the multimeter and test light

I wouldn't use HIDs in the high beams. If you want a brighter, whiter light, you can try the philips Crystal vision ultras. They give you a look and brightness similar to HIDs...The DRLs are the same bulb as the high beams but they just run on a lower voltage.
Thank-you thats what i was trying to figure out if the high beam/DRL is a bixenon, or just runnning on a lower wattage.

Halogen lamps were never intedned to use HID bulbs. If you do convert be sure and change the lamps so you don't glare the other drivers to blindness.
Thank-you for your concern, The stock projector has a cut off panel inside(thats why there is a crisp cut off line) so it is sufficient for HID use. Also is was a factory option. I was just trying to see if anyone has done 55w and had melting of the lense issue, thus i will not be getting those.

·
Super Moderator
13,843 Posts
As per the 2011?
Well, I guess you're gonna be miffed to read this but the 2011 is NOT SPECIAL. Honda has been making minivans for eons and MOST of the stuff that applies to the prior gen applies to your 2011. Read the stickies. And yes, HID and Interior lights (and oil changes to a certain extent) have been beat to death specifically for 2011 model too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Page 615 in the Owner's Manual says use 0-20 weight oil. I attended a new owners luncheon in Ocala, Florida and the service manager stressed the use of 0-20 weight oil. He said you probably can't purchase 0-20 oil in a store yet, but Honda buys it by the barrel, and if we bring a gallon jug the service manager says he will sell us some. Until that meeting I had never heard of 0-20 weight oil. I will let Honda take care of my oil changes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Page 615 in the Owner's Manual says use 0-20 weight oil. I attended a new owners luncheon in Ocala, Florida and the service manager stressed the use of 0-20 weight oil. He said you probably can't purchase 0-20 oil in a store yet, but Honda buys it by the barrel, and if we bring a gallon jug the service manager says he will sell us some. Until that meeting I had never heard of 0-20 weight oil. I will let Honda take care of my oil changes.

Thank-you. You sir made the first post in this thread with valuable info regarding the oil not the search button. thank-you. I can get a hold of 0w-20, so that is not a worry but thank-you for telling me the type of oil. Now i know the 5w-20 is not the CORRECT oil and will get some 0w-20 promtly

·
Registered
400 Posts
Well, I guess you're gonna be miffed to read this but the 2011 is NOT SPECIAL. Honda has been making minivans for eons and MOST of the stuff that applies to the prior gen applies to your 2011. Read the stickies. And yes, HID and Interior lights (and oil changes to a certain extent) have been beat to death specifically for 2011 model too.

dvpatel, why don't you just answer the OP.:DD

this is a forum NOT a search engine!! hehehe

1 - 12 of 12 Posts