Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has to be an unique problem bec when I let the Service Writer at my local Honda dealer hear it...he called over a few mechanices and none of them knew what it was. Unfortunately, they were booked that day so I have to take my 2006 EX-L with 56k miles back when they have an opening.

As soon as I turn on the ignition - without the engine firing - there's a very loud and distinct "woodpecker" knocking sound coming directly from the rear of the van on the passenger side - the right rear quarter panel interior. One of the mechanics put his ear right on that panel and said, "Yup - here's where it's coming from - maybe a rear A/C flap or something."

Not real encouraging but I have no doubt they'll find the problem given some time to explore. The sound goes on for about 30-40 seconds whether the engine is fired up or not - all it needs is "key on" to where the dash warning lights come on. Then the sound disappears for as long as the van is running - and returns when it's started up again.

Anybody else out there in Odyssey Land have the same woodpecker noise?

·
Registered
632 Posts
Sounds like a faulty fuel pump.

·
Registered
193 Posts
A/C system or sliding door motor.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Might be the on-board fuel vapor recovery system which is designed to help keep fuel vapors from going into the atmosphere. If the fuel pump keeps clicking off even though the tank is not full, there may be a problem with this system. Just something to check...

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
A long shot, but something to think about. If you have the VCM, *I've heard* there is a speaker back in that same area that makes some kind of sound to counter-act some kind of noise of the VCM when it is active.

I doubt it makes a woodpecker sound, but maybe that speaker is failing. The sound and timing are wrong ... maybe. There is a method for totally deactivating that speaker from making the sound. It can be searched. It is some radio button pushing sequence and it disables the sound countering system.

I would find out how to shut it off, then do it. It's worth a try before they tear into your van.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I thought the VCM uses the subwoofer for the ANC...

You easily could try turning off the ANC and see if it is defective:

Start the engine, turn the radio off, press and hold the station presets #1 and #6 then while holding those buttons turn the radio power on. You should get a display that says diagnostic mode. Press the #1 again and the display should read ANC ON. Press #1 again so that the display says DNC OFF. Drive the vehicle and see if the noise goes away. If it does then just unplug the ANC module and drive without it.

I have a 2006 Honda Odyssey EX-L with active noise cancellation - JustAnswer

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Yes, that sounds right curiousgeorge. I'm pulling it all from memory. As I remember, the subwoofer is back where the OP originally stated the noise was coming from.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys for the advice. I turned the ANC off and it made no difference - the woodpecker lives on. I'll leave it to the dealer and HondaCare at this point. Soon as its fixed I'll post again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update on the Woodpecker noise..

Finally able to schedule visit to dealer this morning. Had a conversation last night with a mechanic friend who said it might be a valve connected to rear A/C controlling heat vs. cooling function.
Started Ody up this morning and, as usual, the noise was pecking away for 30 seconds from key on. Drove to the dealership and waited in the service line to get a write-up...as I waited, I reached over my shoulder and played with the rear hvac controls over the driver side sliding door...something I haven't done in the 5 years I've owned the van (long story short - no humans ride in the back).
The rear A/C worked normally - from cold to hot, from low fan to hi fan. Anyway, I shut it off while I was talking to the service writer.
This was the same guy I had seen a month ago and he remembered Mr. Woodpecker. So he opened the hatch and asked me to turn key on - no noise. Nothing. Tried it another dozen times - nada.

So either what I did with the rear A/C controls unstuck a valve - or my van is scared at staying at the dealership for a day or two.

Got home and now my wife and I have taken a few local trips...no noise at all.

Weird. But I have a feeling it will return.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Shy birds those Woodpeckers.

The dealer would have done the same thing and charged you a $180 for two shop hours plus $10 shop supplies and a $5 environmental surcharge.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
True, the dealer would have charged that amount and STILL screwed up doing nothing! :D

Once, when I was a kid, there was a woodpecker in a tree in my front yard, pecking away. It was about 60 feet up. I picked up a small rock and told my buddy that I was going to hit that bird (not to try to hurt it), he said, "no way!"

I was standing at the base of the tree, threw the rock, missed the bird by like 6 inches. Caught the rock when it fell back, through it again, and the rock just barely tapped the bird on the back and it flew off. It was such a gentle tap, and my buddy about flipped out that I was able to do that.

I know, off subject ... and nobody cares. Just thought I'd tell a story I've never told before since we were talking about woodpeckers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts