41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Ahhhh. The basics.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Ah never give up. I had a ‘74 Mitsubishi that had a chain. Only took me three tries to get it diagnosed as a worn out chain and needed new oil pump and tensioner! I literally cried after the second set of valves bent in that motor!

Mind you I was a high school kid with little money but a desire to get the thing back on the road. Like I said third time worked and it ran in excess of 100K miles after that.

So given your predicament your not that far off. I question a lot of the things you did. New coils? Cam seals? Removing ECU... just seems like your inexperienced. Rule number one. As with medical professionals, “do no harm”. Do not remove and replace items just because you can. Honda’s are notoriously reliable on most parts so why were you changing or removing these items?

If you went as far as removing the ground cable from engine to frame to battery I’d suggest you walk away. You clearly have missed the mark for a simple timing belt change. Use it as a learning exercise in what not to do.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Actually I left it connected but moved it off the mounts. Once free from the mount there is plenty of wiggle room to get the mount. One less thing that will not go back together. As an electrical engineer I’m very familiar with the least reliable aspect of most systems, the electrical connectors. If you can avoid removing and reseating the connectors your often rewarded with better reliability. Bent over a pin on high pin count connectors a time or two. You become very cautious after doing that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Okay guys so here's the question. I was watching a video and they just said there was a ground wire on the bracket that's connected to the motor mount on the front of the motor and I definitely have not seen or did not reconnect any ground wire to that bracket I didn't I was wondering what that bracket was even there for. So anybody know where that wire comes from and what it's to cuz that would possibly be what my issue is right now

·
Registered
231 Posts
At back of bank2 (between eng and radiator, driver's side in USA) is a ground strap that attaches to the bracket that holds the O2 sensor connector. The other end is below (wife has car out, so not sure where, but there is an engine mount below as well).

See bottom of pic, just to left of center.

·
Registered
2005 EXL w Nav
262 Posts
I don’t know if not having the ground strap will keep you from starting. You definitely don’t want to drive without it. On Ford rangers they suggested putting an additional heavy gauge wire from the alternator mount bolt to the frame or battery - just to help with charging. Maybe a jumper cable from the motor to the frame would be good enough to test starting

·
Registered
2005 EXL w Nav
262 Posts
I think that is usually referred to as the side mount. I replaced mine. Don't remember any ground wire there. There were wire loom mounts and a crazy looking small vibration rubber block. Nothing that would effect starting. I would be concerned about the three harnesses you disconnected from the ECU. Might want to double check that nothing was damaged and the connects are good. I managed to crack one of my connectors and had to super glue it back together. Your issue could be electrical and there's a whole lot of connections there.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts