Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which one would you choose? (Same amount of money you have in your hand) Accord SE with all the option include sunroof, wood panel. Camry with new looking style but less option.

Van826

·
Registered
15 Posts
First, check out www.edmunds.com, and compare the MSRP and the True Market Value (price people willing to pay or deal) , and then check the blue books dealer values of recent years 99, 01... you will see Accord has the HIGHER resale values than camry too. I let other members compare on dependability or tech issues since most experts are here too. Welcome you aboard!

[This message has been edited by OdyLX02 (edited 01-08-2002).]

·
Registered
56 Posts
I prefer the Accord much better. I cannot get to like the new style Camry or Lexus ES. Maybe it will grow on me but do not like it at all. They both, however, are great cars.

------------------
2002 Starlight Silver EXL-RES

·
Registered
566 Posts
The Accord is up for a redesign in 2003. Until this most recent generation design, I thought that the were a little on the small side. Honda finally got the size competitive with the class.

I drive a 1985 Camry and it is bulletproof. Before becoming interested in a minivan I would have bought either an Accord or Camry but the bug eye look on today's cars is lost on me.

Either car is a great purchase decision. I slightly preferred the Camrys in the past because you could get more "free standing" options than you can with a Honda. The Camry had little advantages like a split folding seat, full-size spare, etc. I think a 2002 Accord looks better than a 2002 Camry.

------------------

·
Registered
72 Posts
How much money is it that you're talking about?
If I were you I would buy an Odyssey LX (base model)
M.S.R.P. $24,690
True Market Value $26,090 !!!

I'm pretty sure you'll get more out of an Odyssey that the other 2 cars combined.

Good Luck

·
Registered
22 Posts
Both cars have had an equal share of being the number one stolen car in the US. Check the insuarance premium too for both the cars, that might help you to decide.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Both are great cars. Just try them on for size. I've sat in the current Accord (sedan) a couple times and the dashboard hits my right knee, even with the seat all the way back. I actually have more room in the Civic - go figure.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hello all,

Just to reply to the comment about checking the True Market Value figure in www.edmunds.com. Personally, I would say the figures given is total BS as they are much higher than the actual market price. I have just recently helped purchase 2 Hondas for my relatives I actually got the cars below invoice. One little untold secret in car buying is that instead of wasting time BS-ing with the floor sales, you can call up the dealership and ask for the fleet sales department. They will give you a drive out price quote right on the phone. Then compared the numbers amongst the dealerships for the lowest price. You get everything done thru the phone until you walk in to the dealership to get the car.

Anyway, just my $0.02

Tony the Tiger

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you know any website in Canada for the car price check? I don't know if the price will be vary between states but I believe the car price in Canada is much lower than in the US. Honda Accord SE with 4 cynlinder is $26,800 MSRP and with 6 cynlinder, the price is $29,300 CAD. Do you think it is the right price to buy? For toyota,you can check the price for Camry in this web www.toyota.ca

Van826

·
Registered
15 Posts
Someone said Honda built cars in Canada, so you can save shipping or less price than US customers, is that true? I seen some posts here said they bought Ody vans in Toronto for way below MSRP too.

BTW, your MSRP for that SE accord is way too high for me!! I rather buy a good Ody at that price. Ody nows handle like a car too.

[This message has been edited by OdyLX02 (edited 01-09-2002).]

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
My two cents:
Generally, when comparing the Camry and Accord, it depends on what you value more. This may be obvious, but in the past, people wanting a little more space and quieter, more "luxurious" ride choose the Camry. Those wanting a slightly better driving experience (balance of sporty feel and ride quality) typically choose the Accord, though slightly smaller.

In the past, the Camry comparably equiped was more expensive.

Both are obviously bullet proof.

I have bought all my Accords at or below INVOICE, so great deal there. Camrys have tended to go for more $$.

Check last month's C&D, they rate the Accord tops, followed by Camry and Altima.

CR likes the Passat the best, then Camry then Accord. This shows the obvious bias of the "enthusiast magazine" vs. practical Joe.

If you really want a Camry, I'd wait for 2nd or 3rd year production, you're likely to have less annoying little problems pop up. I have an '01 Ody (3rd yr), '99 Accord (2nd yr) for this reason.

I usually buy Accords made in Japan (VIN starts with "J"). My personal bias, this issue has been discussed alot here.

Hope this helps!

------------------
-Shin John
'01 DEP EX, and I'm workin' on it! (slowly)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am planning to buy 2002 Accord but one of my friend suggest i shouldn't get this one or i will regret due to the reason the new model of Accord will come out in 2003. If I buying 2002 Accord, it will be like i am driving an old car. My friend also suggest if I really need a car right now, I should get CRV if I want to stay with Honda or a Camry if I want a compact car instead because it is the new model. Do you know which website or where i can go to look for the Accord 2003 model coming up?

Van826

·
Registered
566 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Van826:
I am planning to buy 2002 Accord but one of my friend suggest i shouldn't get this one or i will regret due to the reason the new model of Accord will come out in 2003. If I buying 2002 Accord, it will be like i am driving an old car. My friend also suggest if I really need a car right now, I should get CRV if I want to stay with Honda or a Camry if I want a compact car instead because it is the new model. Do you know which website or where i can go to look for the Accord 2003 model coming up?

Van826
</font>
I would avoid buying a redesigned model during its first year out. This isn't as much of a factor as it once was, due to today's computer aided design and manufacturing but I would still give the manufacturer a year or two to iron the wrinkles out. For this reason alone, I'd pick the '02 over the '03.

If you buy an '02 Accord, it won't be any "less" of a car when the '03s come out. It will still be an excellent car with a proven design and track record. Since the '02 Camry is a generation "ahead" of the '02 Accord, it may slightly affect resale value down the road but not by much. I like both cars, but I think the Accord is better looking.

If you can wait for the '03s to hit the streets, you'll probably be able to cut a good deal on a new, leftover '02.

------------------

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I thought with the technology now a day, they shouldn't have much of the problem eventhough that is their first year model. Anyway, this is my final decision. I am going to get Accord 2002 today. Since this is my first time to buy a new car, what details do I need to know and check before driving the car out of dealership? Am I still able to get few extra option from the dealer today?

Van826

·
Registered
15 Posts
Good luck. No matter what they insist you on "paint protection", Apperance package, adds-on, ALWAYS said "NO", or extended warranty don't buy from them, buy from Tracy (1-800..) for $895.00, someone here said so.

Call them first to check around who is cheaper, or try to buy through fleet sales dept, you might get even below Invoice too.
And don't go alone, have someone already experienced in dealing with them go a long with you, the more people the better, then you can pressure them easy than go alone, try to walk out at least once since they are all sharks who like to devout us, with first time buyers, they are easy meals for them!

[This message has been edited by OdyLX02 (edited 01-10-2002).]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank..you mean to buy the paint protection package through fleet sales dept? I think the dealer offer that paint protection around 900 CAD. I am paying my car around $26365 CAD. I believe you said it too high. What is the reasonable cost? Am I still able to lower my cost now?

Van826

·
Registered
15 Posts
You DONT need paint protection! New car nowadays has new paint clear coat very good for around FIRST 4-5 years. After that you can always wax or buy after market items to coat them later. Do you drive around town a lot, snow + salt a lot?? Then you need the undercoating for RUST protection only I think.

The gimmicks of all dealers is to ADD these to make new carr prices go UP!! Don't listen to them and tell them to substract the paint price, and give you another lower figure, then go from there. (26,365 is still high). Same with warranty, say NO! You can always buy warranty LATER from third partys. Tell them you can buy from Tracy (1-800) and expert notes from this Ody forum web site, that will certainly scare their pressure away from you for sure. Good luck!

[This message has been edited by OdyLX02 (edited 01-10-2002).]

·
Registered
15 Posts
Tell me what model, what options you got for that car? How much is the price in US$ (I don't have currency converter, sorry)? Check edmunds yet? Here is a listing from Edmunds for SE/4-cylinder model with air bags:

=====================================

2002 Honda Accord SE 4dr Sedan w/Side airbags (2.3L 4cyl 4A)
Invoice MSRP
National Base Price (in US$) $18,991 (Invoice) $21,100 (MSRP) $19,398 (TMV)
Destination Charge $440 $440 $440
Total
(w/o Options) $19,431 $21,540 $19,838

===================================

Now, how much your price now? OVER the MSRP or over invoice in US$?

OdyLX02

1 - 20 of 30 Posts