Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started getting a ticking when engine was above 2400RPM dealer said bad camshafts. I could not believe it as I change oil myself with Mobile 1 since car was new. So I pulled valve covers sure enough two lobes on the front cam have some marks.

I pulled rear and looked and even it is showing some problems.

With roller rockers I am not sure what could cause the wear, is it just bad castings on camshafts?

·
Registered
244 Posts
I started getting a ticking when engine was above 2400RPM dealer said bad camshafts. I could not believe it as I change oil myself with Mobile 1 since car was new. So I pulled valve covers sure enough two lobes on the front cam have some marks. View attachment 152768

I pulled rear and looked and even it is showing some problems.
View attachment 152769

With roller rockers I am not sure what could cause the wear, is it just bad castings on camshafts?
Wow that's nuts, "some marks" seems to be an understatement.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Damn that's bad! From the looks of the cam it must have been wearing bad. I wonder if it's a bad cam or something. Makes you just want to take the damn engine out and redo it all. I wonder if the rocker arms weren't torqued correctly from factory or the cam caps or something. This doesn't just happen. Maybe even oil starvation idk

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So the wear seems to be on the side as the Intake valve is starting to open. It looks like pitting of the metal, verses contact wear/scraping. Keep in mind the rockers are roller rockers so you should not have any scraping. I wondered if the engine was hot and stopped and the roller and cam bonded together, and then when engine was restarted it broke/pitted the cam. However I notice that the engine usually stops with crank/cam in the same position so I doubt this would cause wear on multiple lobes. I also thought about oil starvation, but the bottom of the cam sits in a pool of oil so it would be hard to starve the oil unless head got hot enough to break oil down. I thought about metal getting in between cam and roller, which is more what the wear looks like, but where would the metal come from and why only one the intake lobes. The best I can come up with is that the camshafts were defective from factory. That is they were not correctly hardened and over the years of heat cycles and stress they start falling apart.

I have heard various anecdotes about the cam failures, including if you use too thick of an oil it happens. I have heard if the engine gets low on oil it happens too. Dealer said it was due to bad maintenance, which it was not. Again I think it is poor engineering where the camshafts were not specified/tested to the correct hardness. I also fear this poor engineering/testing is indicator of Honda's future, that is they have rode on their past quality reputation and now are getting sloppy.

I think the problem is worse on the front cam as that the VCM disables the rear cylinders and so they see less use/heat/stress than the front does. Hence the bad cams show up earlier on the VCM engines, and it might be only the VCM engine cams were defective. However the defective part got into the van, which means Honda has a bigger problem.

The front cam looks like it can be changed with engine/head in the car. However the rear cam does not appear that it can be done with engine/head in the car. I think Honda usually just replaces the front camshaft when this problem occurs and not rear, but not sure. I am debating on just replacing front cam and see if I can get another 5k miles out of the van before buying another car, which will not be a Honda!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Well j35 non vcm failure is pretty rare. You might have some other issue. Blocked oil passage somewhere. You may have same issue after replacement.

Transmission issues on 1999-2003 Odyssey was a big deal. Shame on Honda for not getting things right.

All minivans have issues. Try Toyota sienna I guess. Toyota is more reliable in general. Odyssey is more like a racing minivan . If you tweak few things here and there inexpensively

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have talked with a machinist and he indicate that the camshafts were most likely cast too close to final tolerance, which makes them weak and pit as shown in the pictures. I ended up replacing both camshafts.

The camshafts can be removed with engine in car, they slide out the rear of the heads. For the front camshaft you will need to remove the EGR studs and then remove the top two bolts holding battery tray on. The battery tray then can be bent down enough to get the camshafts out.

If you can adjust the valves and change a timing belt the camshaft replacement is not a big deal. You will most likely want to change the valve cover gaskets and you will need some silicone gasket tube.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I have seen other camshaft failures on this forum

Not super common, but it does seem like a trouble spot. I think it's a manufacturing defect.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
you did the job yourself? no pics?
Yeap I did it myself I did not take any real pictures as it just a matter of removing cams and putting new one in. Again any easy job with camshafts and seals being $400 it was much cheaper than the $2200 dealer quoted. Again the hardest part was adjusting valves.

Note I did work as an auto mechanic to put myself through college, so I have some experience.

·
Registered
2006 EXL-RES, Teal/Beige, VCMII Tuner, Airlift rear suspension, and Weathertek floor mats.
127 Posts
I have the same issue on my '06 Ody as well about 40K miles ago. It is always in the back of my mind so knowing that I could do this job myself so easily puts my mind at ease. I think it is only the front cylinder bank on my Ody so having your experience and letting others know is a blessing for sure! Thank you for the post and pics.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Another person here with the same issue. I've been trying to figure out the ticking noise for awhile. Last year I did an engine oil analysis with Blackstone labs and everything came back normal. I recently had a check engine light for a knock sensor, so while I was fixing that I pulled the front valve cover. I found pitting/galling on a single came lobe. The roller on the rocker arm was also worn.

OP, did you have to change any of the rocker arms? I've done a timing belt and valve adjustment on this vehicle before, so it doesn't sound like changing the cam should be too bad. Just wondering about the rocker arm.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yep, had same with mine......

Hi, I am having the same problem with my 2012 odyssey with 170k miles. i will be doing the front camshaft replacement myself. Do you have any videos of this job? what else should i replace with the camshaft. any seals or bearings? I just did the timing belt kit trying to get rid of the tapping thinking it was the hydraulics tensiometer. but tapping noise continues. now i think it is the camshaft. this is the tapping noise on my van
. do you have the instructions for this front camshaft replacement with the torques specs. any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Have you had a valve adjustment done?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Valve adjustment was done at 125k miles. I will take another look tomorrow to the valves and inspect the camshaft too. Many odyssey with high miles seems to be having a worn front camshaft. I thinks this is going to be the case. I am looking for a video on how to replace the front camshaft lobe on this 2012 odyssey or the pdf instructions with torques. I hope is not too difficult to do it. I did tackle the timing belt kit with water pump. It was not too difficult.

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
I assume you are also pursuing this in the correct forum for your 2012 Odyssey?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I assume you are also pursuing this in the correct forum for your 2012 Odyssey?
sorry, no i have not posted it on the correct forum for 2012 odyssey. I am new to this forum and have not figured out how to do it but i will try again. thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Another person here with the same issue. I've been trying to figure out the ticking noise for awhile. Last year I did an engine oil analysis with Blackstone labs and everything came back normal. I recently had a check engine light for a knock sensor, so while I was fixing that I pulled the front valve cover. I found pitting/galling on a single came lobe. The roller on the rocker arm was also worn.

OP, did you have to change any of the rocker arms? I've done a timing belt and valve adjustment on this vehicle before, so it doesn't sound like changing the cam should be too bad. Just wondering about the rocker arm.
So the wear seems to be on the side as the Intake valve is starting to open. It looks like pitting of the metal, verses contact wear/scraping. Keep in mind the rockers are roller rockers so you should not have any scraping. I wondered if the engine was hot and stopped and the roller and cam bonded together, and then when engine was restarted it broke/pitted the cam. However I notice that the engine usually stops with crank/cam in the same position so I doubt this would cause wear on multiple lobes. I also thought about oil starvation, but the bottom of the cam sits in a pool of oil so it would be hard to starve the oil unless head got hot enough to break oil down. I thought about metal getting in between cam and roller, which is more what the wear looks like, but where would the metal come from and why only one the intake lobes. The best I can come up with is that the camshafts were defective from factory. That is they were not correctly hardened and over the years of heat cycles and stress they start falling apart.

I have heard various anecdotes about the cam failures, including if you use too thick of an oil it happens. I have heard if the engine gets low on oil it happens too. Dealer said it was due to bad maintenance, which it was not. Again I think it is poor engineering where the camshafts were not specified/tested to the correct hardness. I also fear this poor engineering/testing is indicator of Honda's future, that is they have rode on their past quality reputation and now are getting sloppy.

I think the problem is worse on the front cam as that the VCM disables the rear cylinders and so they see less use/heat/stress than the front does. Hence the bad cams show up earlier on the VCM engines, and it might be only the VCM engine cams were defective. However the defective part got into the van, which means Honda has a bigger problem.

The front cam looks like it can be changed with engine/head in the car. However the rear cam does not appear that it can be done with engine/head in the car. I think Honda usually just replaces the front camshaft when this problem occurs and not rear, but not sure. I am debating on just replacing front cam and see if I can get another 5k miles out of the van before buying another car, which will not be a Honda!
Hi, did u replaced the camshaft? Did it fix the noise? Did u replaced the rocker arms also? Thanks for any info about it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts