Honda Odyssey Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I started getting a ticking when engine was above 2400RPM dealer said bad camshafts. I could not believe it as I change oil myself with Mobile 1 since car was new. So I pulled valve covers sure enough two lobes on the front cam have some marks. View attachment 152768

I pulled rear and looked and even it is showing some problems.
View attachment 152769

With roller rockers I am not sure what could cause the wear, is it just bad castings on camshafts?
I started getting a ticking when engine was above 2400RPM dealer said bad camshafts. I could not believe it as I change oil myself with Mobile 1 since car was new. So I pulled valve covers sure enough two lobes on the front cam have some marks. View attachment 152768

View attachment 152769

With roller rockers I am not sure what could cause the wear, is it just bad castings o

View attachment 152769

With roller rockers I am not sure what could cause the wear, is it just bad castings on camshafts?
It's a defect in metal but mostly in the way the camshaft is oiled. Every 3.5 from early 2006 to 2009 will have damaged cams. I own a 2006 pilot I found this same issue during my rocker adjustment for multiple misfires and a slight ticking noises. After going through every 3.5L in the salvage ranging from early 2006 to late 2008 about 16 of them I found ALL of them had damaged pitted lobes no matter the milage or how well it was taken care of . The cam front and rear journals and rockers are fed with clean engine oil but the center journals and lobes only get oil from a bath type design. basically the rest of the cam sits in Dirty oil any deposits get trapped in the trough as the cam spins it slings the oil out and new oil trickles in but heavier carbon deposits stay. carbon is very hard the small pieces get stuck to the cam especially during cold starts and eat away at the cam lobes serious fast. the cams are cast steel and polished I found cam from an 07 Odyssey that was wrecked at 38k it's already has pits forming and the polish is gone from the lobe.

View attachment 152769

With roller rockers I am not sure what could cause the wear, is it just bad casting/QUOTE]

·
Registered
16 Posts
i have a 2012 odyssey that had a bad front camshaft. Just the front one on my case. I just replaced the camshaft the ticking noise is gone, but after replacement i am having a missfiring cylinder 5. i will be taking it to the dealer to clear and do the relearning of the ckp. This presidure can only be done with the dealer hds. So if you replace the camshaft on a newer honday, you got to pay the dealer for the clearing and relearning of the ckp.

·
Registered
2008 Touring / 185k as of 1/20/22
16 Posts
Are you able to inspect the camshaft (or at least some of it) with just removal of the valve covers?
Updated: Yes, you can inspect the cam with rocker bridge assembly in. You just need to turn the engine by hand and inspect each cam bearing as you do. So two people would be necessary.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
i have a 2012 odyssey that had a bad front camshaft. Just the front one on my case. I just replaced the camshaft the ticking noise is gone, but after replacement i am having a missfiring cylinder 5. i will be taking it to the dealer to clear and do the relearning of the ckp. This presidure can only be done with the dealer hds. So if you replace the camshaft on a newer honday, you got to pay the dealer for the clearing and relearning of the ckp.
For that price, you can just get the Foxwell reader and do that your self. I understand this is 9 mo. old message so the member probably have already paid the dealer, but just letting people know going forward, you can do the idle relearn using Foxwell reader which cost around $150 or so.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Weird..I assume it's a problem on vcm Honda engines
So, I guess my question is irrelevant but do Toyotas have this issue with thier camshafts? I am probably thinking of selling the Odyssey and getting the Sienna over the ticking issue, which might be bad cam lobes. I guess, then, if Toyotas do have these issues, I must deal with the situation and change the top half of engine. Dang, never had this issue with a 3.8 Chrysler engine, being that it is close to 22 years old and still running.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Each Vehicle and Company have there own unique quirks and tragedies.

Best of luck.

Ironically, it is almost that, a lottery on which new vehicle will, or will not last/have issues. No one knows. They are all built poorly nowadays, with poorly built parts too for your confidence.

If financing, buy now. Rates are going up.

Your Welcome

ETA; Wait, are we all responding to an old thread ?

And just for amusement, Isn't this threads about Camshafts.

Has everyone seen this?

TSB, Camshafts 2008 -10, EXL -T - All. Some 2011 -12s too.

Add this procedure to your valve job.

Good luck to all.

ETA; Does anyone really know which ody years and makes may have the bad cams?

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
3,459 Posts
ETA; Does anyone really know which ody years and makes may have the bad cams?
Maybe you are already aware of this, but I believe the linked TSB is for a different camshaft related issue that also causes a similar noise. I believe the main issue is with the front camshaft itself and calls for its replacement.

I know the camshaft issue is limited to VCM-2 engines (so 08-17 Odys, 08-12 Accord V6, etc.), but it may be further limited as well.

Reactions: Bear3412

·
Registered
16 Posts
I inspected my front camshaft after hearing ticking/knocking noises in my 08 Touring. It makes the noise whether warm or cold. It "goes away" at higher rpms, but I'm guessing I just can't hear it because of how fast it ticks.

The inspection showed #4 cylinder cam lobes worn quite a bit. Coloring of the #4 cylinder area was obviously darker than #5 and 6 as well. This is expected with VCM II engine. I'm guessing if I took the rear valve cover off and inspected I would find wear on all cylinders.

Now the hunt for junk yard cams begins. I also ordered the S-VCM deleter and will stick that on the van as soon as I get it. I should also note I compression tested all cylinders and compression is good.

·
Registered
472 Posts
@JD80

How many miles on your touring?

Did you perform the above TSB, re torquing the "rocker shaft bridge bolts" while in there?

·
Registered
16 Posts
@JD80

How many miles on your touring?

Did you perform the above TSB, re torquing the "rocker shaft bridge bolts" while in there?
Around 185k. Yes, I did break and retorque rocker shaft bridge assy on the front, but have not yet put it back together. I checked torque on each bolt before breaking, none were loose or not torqued. Do you think it would be worth it to take both valve covers off and just retorque and put it all back together and see if it eliminates tick? Anybody have success with this?

·
Registered
16 Posts
So I did the retorque to both rocker bridge assy banks. I also readjusted all the valves. I only saw one lobe (#4 cylinder) that was damaged. I put it back together and still have the chatter/ticking. Interesting enough, the chatter was not present when I started it up. It went about 2-3 minutes with no noise, then it began. Not sure what that is about. I may get a stethoscope and see if it is possible it is the tensioner, but I doubt it. I think the damaged lobe on the front camshaft is the culprit.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I checked torque on each bolt before breaking, none were loose or not torqued.
Good.

Do you think it would be worth it to take both valve covers off and just retorque and put it all back together and see if it eliminates tick?
A bit late but, yes if still apart somewhat.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I only saw one lobe (#4 cylinder) that was damaged.
I think the damaged lobe on the front camshaft is the culprit.
Yeah, that will do it.

What kind of oil do you use? Change regularly?

Are you original owner?

We don't hear chatter or ticking thankfully.
Been using M1 5-20 since new, changed using MM, 4500-6000 mile interval. fwiw.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah, that will do it.

What kind of oil do you use? Change regularly?

Are you original owner?

We don't hear chatter or ticking thankfully.
Been using M1 5-20 since new, changed using MM, 4500-6000 mile interval. fwiw.

I am not the original owner. I have always used full synthetic Castrol, but last oil change I changed to Mobile 1. Funny enough, the ticking started up right after the switch to Mobile 1, but I'm sure that is just coincidental. My intervals have been longer and not as regular. That's why I buy the 20k filters. I may stop doing that as I've heard those filters have more media and can cause oil pressure issues (like with my 2007 Dodge RAM). My last oil change had 15k on it. Perhaps a hard lesson for me to learn. But for those with worn cams I have seen that most change oil at regular intervals.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
3,459 Posts
And are all years affected w/vcm in 3rd gen?
Like I said earlier, I haven't heard of it happening on VCM-1 engines. So 08-10 for the 3rd gen.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Not sure if this TSB is in this thread.

It is not listed in the 2008 TSBs that I saw.

Figure I would add.

CMP damage due to excess play in Camshaft.

Is there any TSB on the bad camshaft lobes?
And are all years affected w/vcm in 3rd gen?
That's good info to put out there, I have not seen this TSB. My MIL is not on, but might be something to consider since I will be doing the work.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I thought I saw a younger van affected? ? ? - 2012? ?

So CMP getting damaged w/end play
Possible ticking from bridge bolts loose
And just a piss poor camshaft w/bad lobes.

Great

As stated, no issues here yet. M1 since new, Muzzled @60k.

I will start praying now.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
3,459 Posts
I would guess that based on MrRanger's idea that the damage is caused by VCM putting stress on the camshaft, if the VCM was disabled early enough then it wouldn't get a chance to cause serious damage.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts