Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I just had the timing belt of my Odyssey 2009 been replaced because of a kicking noise between 2000/2500 RPM. The mechanic said it was a bad tensioner, so I had had them do the whole job.

After changing the TB the noise has just got way worse (see video), from idle engine to high RPM and the mechanic said the valves needed adjustment but they couldn't do the job. Took the car to the Honda and they say the front camshaft is worn out. The car also had an engine light on which was supposed to be the cat converter (from before the mechanic changed the TB), but the Honda says it is all related to the camshaft (one code was P0420).

I don't know what to do. I already spent money on the timing belt, and now with the camshaft and possibly cat converter, it is a $4000 job.

Any idea? Is it really the camshaft? And is it possible it is causing the cat. code?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
How many miles on the engine and which Odyssey model do you have?

Hopefully the timing belt job was done properly and they knew to use an Aisin timing belt kit, which includes all the hardware (rollers, tensioner, belt, water pump, etc....) required to do this job properly. The Aisin kit is only $200, so you should not have been charged more than that for parts. About $500-700 labor is typical.

A valve adjustment is usually recommended at 150,000 miles.

The P0420 code is often a bad cat or bad O2 sensors. O2 sensors should also be replaced at 150,000 miles.

I can't comment on a worn camshaft, but I recall hearing about that issue on this forum from time to time.

Hopefully others here will chime in with their advice.

·
Registered
821 Posts

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Wow that sounds bad. Sounds like coming from the top end.

Did honda remove the valve cover to inspect the cam or did they blindly just say that?

Could be a valve adjustment out of wack or a cam that is really pitted. You need to remove the valve covers to check them.

VCM motors are JUNK.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I wouldn’t go as far to say they are junk. You just need to know what you are dealing with and disable the VCM function.

I am very happy and confident with my engine. I think it is sound and very robust and reliable. I would not hesitate to consider another VCM engine and have zero regrets with my 2010 purchase decision.

Now if my camshaft fails tomorrow, I may feel differently.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I suspect Fragra’s issue is caused by a botched timing belt job.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I am putting money on engine being out of time after the timing belt was replaced. Most likely the rear cam is 1 tooth or 2 teeth off. The timing can be easily checked without taking anything apart, other than putting the front end on jack stands with the passenger side front wheel off, then manually rotating the crank while inspecting hash marks through the inspection windows of the the upper cam covers.

If indeed the timing is off, then the valves are hitting the top of the pistons hence the loud ticking sound. Unless you are a very seasoned mechanic working on Honda's with j series engines all day long, you almost definitely will be 1 tooth off on the rear cam if you aren't marking and transferring timing marks from old to new belt.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow that sounds bad. Sounds like coming from the top end.

Did honda remove the valve cover to inspect the cam or did they blindly just say that?

Could be a valve adjustment out of wack or a cam that is really pitted. You need to remove the valve covers to check them.

VCM motors are JUNK.
It took the mechanic 10 seconds; he seemed pretty sure after listening to the noise with a
stethoscope. I am not a mechanic, but is checking the valves/camshaft something I can do myself?

How many miles on the engine and which Odyssey model do you have?

Hopefully the timing belt job was done properly and they knew to use an Aisin timing belt kit, which includes all the hardware (rollers, tensioner, belt, water pump, etc....) required to do this job properly. The Aisin kit is only $200, so you should not have been charged more than that for parts. About $500-700 labor is typical.

A valve adjustment is usually recommended at 150,000 miles.

The P0420 code is often a bad cat or bad O2 sensors. O2 sensors should also be replaced at 150,000 miles.

I can't comment on a worn camshaft, but I recall hearing about that issue on this forum from time to time.

Hopefully others here will chime in with their advice.
It is a EX-L, 138,000ml.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Leave it to professional if you have no experience. When I first read this post and read t belt just replaced 1st thing came to mind is off timing .

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
You have to tear it apart to check whats wrong. Start by checking timing marks.

If the noise got worst after the timing belt job, something was screwed up. Take it back to him or have another good shop look at it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You have to tear it apart to check whats wrong. Start by checking timing marks.

If the noise got worst after the timing belt job, something was screwed up. Take it back to him or have another good shop look at it.
No doubt they goofed up; the mechanic even admitted he had to try two kits (he said he put on a touring kit first, but it happened a mess, so he mounted the "right one"). Should I consider proceeding legally?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Leave it to professional if you have no experience. When I first read this post and read t belt just replaced 1st thing came to mind is off timing .
I am not a mechanic, but I've done quite few jobs at the cars I owned. Surely, nothing like valves or camshafts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Yikes id tell them that you have no confidence in them and say that you want it fixed at dealer on there dollar or else. Social media is a bitch to bad shops make a page on fb dedicated to there fuck up . Get a lawn chair and sit on sidewalk outside there shop with sign.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
No doubt they goofed up; the mechanic even admitted he had to try two kits (he said he put on a touring kit first, but it happened a mess, so he mounted the "right one"). Should I consider proceeding legally?
Up to you if you want to proceed legally but the shop should be held responsible. I would have not paid a penny after the repair, it got worst than before!

And what touring kit was he talking about? touring or non-touring, it's the same kit. They trying to cover up with BS.

·
Registered
853 Posts
No doubt a cover up . Hope it works out for you keep us posted what is the shop name and address just curious as to who and what they about . But sounds like they have no integrity. If I did a timing chain job on a mini and it sounded like that after I did repair id be ripping that shit apart before it was handed over to customer.

·
Registered
336 Posts
OMG... what "two kits"?! Please elaborate. The only timing belt kit should be used are OEM or Aisin. The rest are almost always inferior with bearing or quality issues. The first sign of trouble is that something didn't fit properly, I would have tossed that immediately and use OEM only.

Just search here and you'll find plenty cases of inferior kits causing engine death.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Fragra. How is your problem coming along did shop agree to fix . Did you take to dealer .keep us in the loop . Courious as to how your problem is comming along.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fragra. How is your problem coming along did shop agree to fix . Did you take to dealer .keep us in the loop . Courious as to how your problem is comming along.
Frankly, I want to save you all the nightmare I am going through right now. I've just found out the car dealer (who is also the mechanic), had tampered with the odometer, and as per today, he hasn't yet paid for the title transfer... I am waiting for the DMV to call me back. Basically, it's not only a "mechanical" problem I am dealing with; it's a lemon of a car sold by a dishonest incompetent dealership.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Wow sorry to hear . I would call all appropriate people like police long shot but in my city they do keep the peace negotiations then make a police report and sue them fuckers in small claim court also call news stations and see if they do any consumer report digging of local businesses. Make Facebook page dedicated to the shop of horrors that u got the van from. Hope it all works out for you.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Frankly, I want to save you all the nightmare I am going through right now. I've just found out the car dealer (who is also the mechanic), had tampered with the odometer, and as per today, he hasn't yet paid for the title transfer... I am waiting for the DMV to call me back. Basically, it's not only a "mechanical" problem I am dealing with; it's a lemon of a car sold by a dishonest incompetent dealership.
Get rid of that sh1t ASAP!!!

And don’t get a high mileage odyssey. Get a 07-10 LX/EX van with no VCM.
Or get a sienna.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts