Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Can’t turn on auto high beams

1560 Views 11 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  adr5
2019 Odyssey EX-L
The auto high beams used to work. I’m not sure when they stopped working. It’s pretty rare that I’m in a place where I need them. Anyway, my husband and I spent a half hour the other night trying to get the system to turn on. I found a video on Honda’s website on how to turn the system on and off. We tried over and over again and it just wouldn’t work. Park, engine on, headlights on auto, hold left stick toward us for 40ish seconds, auto high beams indicator light flashes once…but then it turns right off. It should be on when the system is on. We drove around a very dark area and the high beams wouldn’t come on unless we turned them on manually. Any advice?
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
824 Posts
The auto headlights are toggled on/off by briefly flashing the high beams. An green light icon with an "A" inside will appear.

I believe the headlights can only be toggled when the vehicle is in a situation that high beams would be used: you cannot toggle them during the daytime.

· Registered
2018 EX
2,516 Posts
DJVAN, "IIRC" means "if I remember correctly." I had no idea what it meant either. I had to look it up, like most of them.

These short form acronyms are used today by people who can't be bothered to cater to the unwashed who haven't memorized the Urban Dictionary and who are still not willing to sacrifice quality writing for laziness 🤣🤣🤣.

· Registered
2019 Odyssey EX
164 Posts
Sorry, I was replying on my phone and went for the abbreviation.

I frequent a few different forums focussed on varying subject matters and it is interesting how each has their own (but generally different) set of commonly used abbreviations.

But back on topic, thanks for looking that up. I always figured it was about the same speed that the adaptive cruise control starts working.

Although on the newer vans I believe adaptive cruise control works at lower speeds? Maybe the auto high beams work at lower speeds as well?

I never did like the auto high beams - I turned the feature off within a month of getting the van. But it would be nice if they had a way to turn it in/off through the infotainment screen.

· Registered
2019 Odyssey EX
164 Posts
I think toggling the turn signal stalk is much easier.
To temporarily disable/enable the system yes, I agree.

But to "permanently" turn the system on/off (so that it remembers your preference) or adjust the sensitivity you need to hold the stalk for at least 30 secs and up to 2 mins while the vehicle is parked, while watching for and counting the number of flashes a little icon on the dash makes . That is what I feel could be better handled in the infotainment system.

· Registered
329 Posts
Hi,
I have a 2020 Acura/Honda RLX. What used to be called a Legend. The auto headlight hi/lo beam circuit on this Honda- Made In Japan vehicle works FLAWLESS in all conditions.

If you read the large exclusion list from Honda listed above, you will find an absurd legalistic easy out for HONDA, for a system that actually wasn't designed to actually work in real-world conditions. Never mind the fact that all of us owners paid good money for something we THOUGHT was going to be an awesome convenience. This has not been the result. This feature is an annoyance. I have suggested directly to HONDA that they stop placing a "competitive" check list of features on our Honda's that never actually operate as they should in the real world and save customers money. HONDA if you read this, stop wasting resources, time and money selling features on our vehicles that do not operate in real world conditions as we the customers say they should. Have some of us test them in test/review vehicles and if the customers find they do not operate properly........EXCLUDE THESE FEATURES FROM the vehicle until HONDA can provide something that works properly.

· Premium Member
1,756 Posts
DJVAN, "IIRC" means "if I remember correctly." I had no idea what it meant either. I had to look it up, like most of them.

These short form acronyms are used today by people who can't be bothered to cater to the unwashed who haven't memorized the Urban Dictionary and who are still not willing to sacrifice quality writing for laziness 🤣🤣🤣.
You got me again... Hodna. I am not a fast moving target and so I assumed of another acronym in quick reading of IROC, I know it's not the same, but that it what I thought I read and yet I typed it out the way he put in that acronym. Monkey see - monkey don't do.

· Registered
702 Posts
2019 Odyssey EX-L
The auto high beams used to work. I’m not sure when they stopped working. It’s pretty rare that I’m in a place where I need them. Anyway, my husband and I spent a half hour the other night trying to get the system to turn on. I found a video on Honda’s website on how to turn the system on and off. We tried over and over again and it just wouldn’t work. Park, engine on, headlights on auto, hold left stick toward us for 40ish seconds, auto high beams indicator light flashes once…but then it turns right off. It should be on when the system is on. We drove around a very dark area and the high beams wouldn’t come on unless we turned them on manually. Any advice?
Personally I think auto headlights are pretty stupid. I never use them. I find the drawbacks far outweigh the benefits. I hate walking away from my car with the lights on. Anyway, check the light sensor to make sure it is clear. I am not sure where the sensor is on your '19, but on my '12 it is in the center of the dash near the base of the windshield.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.