Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, this is my first time posting here. I recently just inherited a 1997 Honda Odyssey 93K actual miles. Good timing too cause we needed a new vehicle anyways. First of all I have say I'm acutally pretty inpressed with this little van. I plan to take care of it and try to make it last another 10 years as our family car.

My concern is that we are wanting to take a long trip and I am worried that this little 4 cylinder won't be able to handle the strain and that it might be too much weight for it. There will be 6 adults with an average weight of 250lbs each. I just finished doing all the 100k maintenance stuff and it's running perfectly. I think I saw that the GVW was 2150kg (I think that's 4730lb) and the vehicles actual weight by its self is about 3000lbs. I might be wrong about the amounts but had no luck finding for sure online. Plus nothing beats reviews from actual owners.

Am I pushing it too far for this awsome little van? and if so then what can I do about it? do I just need to take 2 cars or take a different vehicle?

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Your van will handle it just fine. You should make sure the timing belts, water pump and drive belts have been changed by now as well as the upper and lower radiator hoses. Also make sure the coolant isnt too old and that the transmission fluid has been changed within the last 30K miles. If all those are in check I wouldnt worry one bit. Don't forget to check your oil level before you leave as well.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I wouldn't do it. I have taken 3 adults and two kids on trips over 15 years in a full sized sedan, then a station wagon, then a rented minivan, then the Ody. The rented van and the Ody work out the best. The hired van is better.

If you take the Ody, the two passengers in the 3rd row (or middle passenger in the 2nd row) will be uncomfortably tight. Everybody better be good friends. With that kind of weight, the rear springs will bottom out with each freeway expansion joint, not to mention railroad tracks, driveway approaches, etc.

The Ody will slow down some on grades, but I wouldn't expect any overheating or other issues. If the A/C is up to par, and it is equipped with rear air, you should be able to keep the windows unfogged if it rains. But make sure the inside of the windows are clean before you leave.

Unless you limit each Ody passenger to a small duffle bag, you won't have enough luggage space behind the 3rd row seat. You can strap a carrier on the roof, but now you're getting blown around by side winds and every overnight stop got less convenient. You could pull a luggage trailer, but now you have to hassle with backing up.

So you're better off just selling the little van to me, and buying a bigger van. Just kidding.

Unless you have something to prove, trips like this are why bigger mini vans are around. A new Honda/Toyota/Kia will solve all of the above problems. And get similar gas mileage to your Ody.

Driving a van will use less gas, and require less drivers. If you drive two cars you own, you don't have to hassle with picking up/dropping off a rental and the cash outlay is less. But if you happen to wreck or break down, that savings will evaporate.

Using two cars will make the trip more comfortable, and give you flexibility for day trips to go to two different locales. The van/two car choice depends entirely on who is going and what your priorities are.

On the upside, the Ody is easy to park. My MIL has closed her arm in power sliding doors of more than one rented van on more than one occasion. So the standard rear doors of the Ody work out great. She sits in the back on the right, and the left middle seat is folded down to provide a pathway to the back. The cooler sits beside the middle seat. I tried to talk the wife into captain's chairs for the middle, but she said 'Meh." The right rear suspension bottoms out with each freeway joint.

The V-Tech has plenty of power, and gobbles up passes on the way to Winter Park and through Wolf Creek. I have never had issues with brakes overheating and warping, but I try to look ahead and take it easy.

Good luck on your trip!

·
Registered
2 Posts
This past December I made a trip from Florida to Pennsylvania, then PA to North Carolina, then back to PA, then back to North Carolina, and once again back to PA. Then from PA back to Florida and right back up to PA then back down to Florida. Yeah it was a crazy month but the Ody did great but unfortunately the brake rotors DID warp from overheating. AND I did all that driving WITHOUT having a tune up in over a year. Just did the tune up last week and the van drives beautifully. Next is change the rotors and it will be perfect. By the way my Ody is a '95 EX.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts