Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am experiencing an issue with my 2020 Elite and am questioning my mechanic who worked on my car.
I have a dashcam installed on my car and it's powered via an adaptor that connects to my (auto-dimming) rearview mirror. The adaptor has a USB port that only taps into the power for the rearview mirror.

I installed this on my Ody a week after taking delivery of the van. I am being told by my mechanic that my dashcam is causing a trouble code that is detected by an OBDII scanner. He's stating that the dashcam is interfering with the HondaSensing camera and causing some of the sensing systems to go nuts. According to him, he's advising me to disconnect my dashcam.
Does the rearview mirror have any connection to the HondaSensing systems? I'm suspecting that the mechanic is not being truthful.

Adapter is by Donger Technologies and is designed to work with Honda/Acura auto-dimming mirrors.

Any input provided is greatly appreciated!

Microphone Musical instrument accessory Auto part Font Audio equipment

·
Registered
151 Posts
I am experiencing an issue with my 2020 Elite and am questioning my mechanic who worked on my car.
I have a dashcam installed on my car and it's powered via an adaptor that connects to my (auto-dimming) rearview mirror. The adaptor has a USB port that only taps into the power for the rearview mirror.

I installed this on my Ody a week after taking delivery of the van. I am being told by my mechanic that my dashcam is causing a trouble code that is detected by an OBDII scanner. He's stating that the dashcam is interfering with the HondaSensing camera and causing some of the sensing systems to go nuts. According to him, he's advising me to disconnect my dashcam.
Does the rearview mirror have any connection to the HondaSensing systems? I'm suspecting that the mechanic is not being truthful.

Adapter is by Donger Technologies and is designed to work with Honda/Acura auto-dimming mirrors.

View attachment 163858
This connection can cause any electrical issue in ours vehicle. One time I disconnected rain sensor, because I don't like how it works, and my dash show me 100 trouble codes...

·
Administrator
14,148 Posts
From the looks of this since I have never seen a 2020 Elite, it seems, the mirror itself is a Gentex auto-dimming + Homelink fameless mirror.

If you tap into its wiring, at most it may cause issues with the mirror, the camera or the fuse may be blown.

That said. If the Honda sensing circuit is also on the same power source and the camera is starving one of the other components of power, this can happen as that would throw codes as the system would not work.

Since you opted for a full plug and play system, how about you disconnect this device and power the mirror like it came from the factory? Yes. That will disable your camera but that should remove all the errors/codes if this device is truly the problem.

Reactions: 0dyfamily

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
If, IF your camera is passing any frequency back through the positive lead going all the way back to the battery, yes it can cause a problem in the systems. Hopefully your camera is not doing it because they are not following FCC rules on input/output not passing any negative harmonics and frequencies. The only way to check this is by using a good digital oscope and see if there is a signal riding on top of the camera 12 VDC input. Do not start or turn on your ODY while doing this. You want to see the signal in it's raw form.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
If, IF your camera is passing any frequency back through the positive lead going all the way back to the battery, yes it can cause a problem in the systems. Hopefully your camera is not doing it because they are not following FCC rules on input/output not passing any negative harmonics and frequencies. The only way to check this is by using a good digital oscope and see if there is a signal riding on top of the camera 12 VDC input. Do not start or turn on your ODY while doing this. You want to see the signal in it's raw form.
The dash cam is from a well-known brand (ROAV) so I have doubts that it's sending out any frequency back through the lead.

Original codes that popped up, according to my mechanic, were c0051-62, u0415-68, and u0416-68. Mechanic then disconnected dash cam and adapter and the codes went away and popped up another code, c0051-96. Code was cleared and no further codes have popped up since.

Codes appear to be related to the Steering Angle Sensor and ABS Sensor. I'm puzzled as to how a dash cam can cause these sensors to go wacky after no issues with this setup for a year...

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
The dash cam is from a well-known brand (ROAV) so I have doubts that it's sending out any frequency back through the lead.

Original codes that popped up, according to my mechanic, were c0051-62, u0415-68, and u0416-68. Mechanic then disconnected dash cam and adapter and the codes went away and popped up another code, c0051-96. Code was cleared and no further codes have popped up since.

Codes appear to be related to the Steering Angle Sensor and ABS Sensor. I'm puzzled as to how a dash cam can cause these sensors to go wacky after no issues with this setup for a year...
Any company can have a problem with their internal powers supply or filtering network, a bad soldering joint, or bad components from a company. If disconnecting the dash cam alleviates the problem when the mechanic did and all return to normal but one, if you connect it back up will it cause more codes to pop-up.

The thought for future vehicles is to install a shielded insulated bus bar for the positive and negative and run it down the center of the vehicle to feed everything from lights to speakers and even the starter to receive a signal on this bus to turn off or on. The wires would be short and have a small transceiver to receive this signal and report back if the device is working like a rear turn signal or interior fan, ignition system etc..

·
Administrator
14,148 Posts

It is either the dash cam or the plug and play adaptor you have. It takes +12v and converts it to the necessary USB usually +5v power. That device has capacitors etc and likely has a small board under that black shrink tape. It can go bad and cause spikes in the power rail to cause the other devices on that same rail to starve for power. That may explain why it was fine for about a year and is only acting up now.

Do you have an alternate way to power that dash cam temporarily from another +12 power source like a cigarette lighter adaptor or something?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It is either the dash cam or the plug and play adaptor you have. It takes +12v and converts it to the necessary USB usually +5v power. That device has capacitors etc and likely has a small board under that black shrink tape. It can go bad and cause spikes in the power rail to cause the other devices on that same rail to starve for power. That may explain why it was fine for about a year and is only acting up now.

Do you have an alternate way to power that dash cam temporarily from another +12 power source like a cigarette lighter adaptor or something?
I can try hooking the dash cam to a USB outlet from the cigarette lighter or one of the other USB outlets. Only plug in use is the Smartphone outlet for CarPlay.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts