Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Can DIY transmission drain and fill be done easy on 2018 9 speed?

744 Views 18 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  0dyfamily
I am original owner of 2018 Oddy 9 spd. (have 2008 Ridgeline also), and now am doing my own maint. on them. Oddy code for trans. fluid drain and fill came on, and I have 4 qts. ATF 3-1. Several questions:
1. Can the drain plug and fluid be removed WITHOUT removing the plastic cover with clips and screws?
2. If it has to be removed, are the clips re-usable, or do they tend to break on removal?
3. Is it POSSIBLE to vacuum out enough fluid through the top fill bolt hole, like many on the Ridgeline Club do often on Ridgelines through the trans. dip stick tube?
4. I see videos where some remove the driver's side wheel, while others do not. Seems most jack the driver's side up. What is best/easiest, and is there a video on this site showing this? THANKS for your help!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
I am original owner of 2018 Oddy 9 spd. (have 2008 Ridgeline also), and now am doing my own maint. on them. Oddy code for trans. fluid drain and fill came on, and I have 4 qts. ATF 3-1. Several questions:
1. Can the drain plug and fluid be removed WITHOUT removing the plastic cover with clips and screws?
2. If it has to be removed, are the clips re-usable, or do they tend to break on removal?
3. Is it POSSIBLE to vacuum out enough fluid through the top fill bolt hole, like many on the Ridgeline Club do often on Ridgelines through the trans. dip stick tube?
4. I see videos where some remove the driver's side wheel, while others do not. Seems most jack the driver's side up. What is best/easiest, and is there a video on this site showing this? THANKS for your help!
1. No, there is a dedicated transmission cover underneath the vehicle on the driver side, you have to remove this to gain clearance.
2. Yes, the clips are reusable if they are removed correctly and not damaged.
3. No. There is no dipstick tube on these, they use a check plug on the driver's side near where the driveshaft is installed. There is a service plug on the top of the case identical to the drain and check plugs but if this was me, I would drain it from the bottom plug.
4. (Technically the truth) the easiest way is to use an actual vehicle lift, though I would imagine home mechanics don't always have these available. The next best thing is a VERY sturdy set of jack stands you would trust your life with.

optional 5. Attached some steps directly from Honda's service manual, they want you to use the Honda scan tool to monitor ATF temperature and add at the prescribed time/temperature target, until you get to even with the fluid check plug at the side of the case.

Attachments

· Registered
2018 Ody
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. No, there is a dedicated transmission cover underneath the vehicle on the driver side, you have to remove this to gain clearance.
2. Yes, the clips are reusable if they are removed correctly and not damaged.
3. No. There is no dipstick tube on these, they use a check plug on the driver's side near where the driveshaft is installed. There is a service plug on the top of the case identical to the drain and check plugs but if this was me, I would drain it from the bottom plug.
4. (Technically the truth) the easiest way is to use an actual vehicle lift, though I would imagine home mechanics don't always have these available. The next best thing is a VERY sturdy set of jack stands you would trust your life with.

optional 5. Attached some steps directly from Honda's service manual, they want you to use the Honda scan tool to monitor ATF temperature and add at the prescribed time/temperature target, until you get to even with the fluid check plug at the side of the case.
THANK YOU very much!

· Registered
25 Posts
No problem. Had some coffee at work and figured I'd chip in on a thread or two. What I want to know is where in the hell were you able to get some ATF 3 because it is indefinitely back ordered through my parts network! I've been telling customers to not drain at all because I can't find any fluid to sell them.

• Wow
Reactions: tyman

· Registered
2018 Ody
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No problem. Had some coffee at work and figured I'd chip in on a thread or two. What I want to know is where in the hell were you able to get some ATF 3 because it is indefinitely back ordered through my parts network! I've been telling customers to not drain at all because I can't find any fluid to sell them.
I got it on Amazon 2-3 months ago. Just now at 30K mark from last drain and fill. How long can I wait to do new drain and fill?

· Registered
2018 Ody
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So honda has a new Atf. So are they implying that DW-1 is a poor ATF?

DanaH
The Honda ATF 3-1 is made specifically for the 2018 9 speed transmission in the non-Elite and non-Touring Odyssey The 5 and 6 speed earlier engines use DW-1, which I also use in my 2008 Ridgeline. Unfortunately, the ATF 3-1 costs 5-6 times more than the DW-1.

· Registered
Bolt - 2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
7,290 Posts
So honda has a new Atf. So are they implying that DW-1 is a poor ATF?

DanaH
The 9 speed is not a Honda transmission. It's a ZF transmission. So it uses a different fluid.

However, even Honda's own 10 speed AT also uses a different ATF than DW-1. The reason for this has nothing to do with DW-1 being inadequate. The 10 speed ditched the automated manual "Hondamatic" setup of all the Honda-made automatic transmissions that preceded it and went with the traditional planetary gear setup. Different internal design, therefore different fluid specifications.

Reactions: 0dyfamily and tyman

· Registered
2019 Honda Odyssey Elite
535 Posts
Is there a better fluid than DW-1 to use in my 2008 Ridgeline or older Ody? What is everyone's experience with other fluids?
Valvoline MaxLife for one.

Approvals
Allison TES 389, C-4
Audi/VW G055-025-A2, G-052-162-AI/A2,G-052-990-A2,G-055-005-A2,G-055-162-A6,G-055-540-A2,G-060-162-A2, G-052-025-A2, G-052-162-A1
BMW LT71141,LA2634,M-1375.4, ATF3.0, 7045E, ETL8072B
CHRYSLER DIAMOND SP-III, NAG-1, 3403 M1115
Ford MERCON®
Ford MERCON V
Ford FNR5, XT-9-AMMF5
Ford MERCON SP
MERCON LV
GM 9986195
GM DEXRON II, III and VI
GM Autotrak II
Honda Acura ATF-ZI, DW1 (except in CVTs)
Honda ATF Type 3.1

Hyundai SP-II, SP-III, SP-IV, SPH-IV,SP4-M, SP-IV-RR
JWS 3309
JASO 1A
KIA SP-II, SP-III, SP-IV, SP-IVM, and SP-IV-RR Fluids, RED1
Mazda M-V, FZ
Mercedes Benz MB236.1, MB236.6 MB236.7, MB236.9, MB236.10, MB236.12, MB236.14, MB236.15, MB236.17
Mercedes Benz NAG-1
MOPAR AS68RC and AS69RC ATF
Misecllancous OEMs-M1375.4, M1375.6, L12108, LT71141, ETL-7045E, ETL-8072B, 3403 M115, N402, AW-1
Mitsubishi Diamond SP-II, SP-III, ATF-J3, Dia Queen ATF-PA
Nissan Matic-D, Matic-J, Matic-K, Matic-S Matic W
Saab 93 165 147
Subaru ATF
Subaru ATF-HP
Toyota/Lexus Type T, T-III and T-IV
Toyota WS
Volvo 1161521 and 1161540 and STD 1273.41, 97340
VW TL52162, LT71141
ZF TE-ML-14B, 16L,17C
ZF Lifeguard 8

Most Liked Positive Review
2005 Honda Odyssey Transmission Slipping Badly - and THE FIX
About 2 years ago a single mom friend of mine had a 2005 Honda Odyssey transmission issue. I test drove the car about 2 miles and when we got back to her house the tranny was slipping so badly we literally coasted into her driveway. I called a friend of mine who has a shop and he told me when a Honda transmission gets that bad it needs to be replaced as they are so hard to rebuild. I had had some luck prior using a combination of Valvoline MaxLife and Lucas Transmission fix. So I told her before sinking $5k into a transmission why not give it a try. I changed the transmission using 1 gallon of the MaxLife and a 12 oz bottle of Lucas Transmission fix. Drove her van 10-15 miles and it shifted like new. 60 days later we did the same process withe MAXLIFE and the Lucas but this time changed her transmission filter as well. I saw her today and she said she has had no further transmission issues. Now that is what I call "A FIX." So for about $100 in fluid, filter, and the Lucas, she is still on the road with her '05 Odyssey. You can see the videos I did on Rumble at expdchief just scroll down as it was awhile ago (Dec. 2020).

· Registered
7,290 Posts
Is there a better fluid than DW-1 to use in my 2008 Ridgeline or older Ody? What is everyone's experience with other fluids?
There are other fluids that can work. But IMO there's no reason to switch and add a variable if what you're using is working just fine.

Reactions: 0dyfamily

· Registered
2018 Ody
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There are other fluids that can work. But IMO there's no reason to switch and add a variable if what you're using is working just fine.
THANKS WiiMaster! I so far have used Honda fluids exclusively. Bought a 12 pk/case of DW-1 at better price for Ridgeline, but I do not enjoy hearing that it does not last long. At what mileage on your '06 are you changing it? Our first Ody was a 2005, which had 300K on it when we got the 2018 Ody. No trans. or engine trouble for 300K. Ridgeline is 2008/15 yrs old, 120K and no problem yet. DW-1 has worked fine for me! I guess most fluids are OK if changed regularly.

· Registered
7,290 Posts
THANKS WiiMaster! I so far have used Honda fluids exclusively. Bought a 12 pk/case of DW-1 at better price for Ridgeline, but I do not enjoy hearing that it does not last long. At what mileage on your '06 are you changing it? Our first Ody was a 2005, which had 300K on it when we got the 2018 Ody. No trans. or engine trouble for 300K. Ridgeline is 2008/15 yrs old, 120K and no problem yet. DW-1 has worked fine for me! I guess most fluids are OK if changed regularly.
I did my first change at 30k, and it was a 3x drain and fill. Since then I've done single drain and fills at 60k, 90k, and most recently at 106k. I decided to do the most recent one a little sooner at about 15k instead of the usual 30k since it's getting a little older, but I have had zero issues to this point with DW-1.

· Registered
81 Posts

I did a how to a while back. Complete with pictures. If you use a scale you don't need to worry about what temp the fluid is as mass doesn't change with the temp... Bedsides, do you think the dealer warms up the new fluid to the exact temp as the stuff coming out? :unsure:

· Premium Member
8,818 Posts
@dcarrington , I think that's because of the thermal expansion characteristics of that ATF and the tight space between a filled sump and the moving parts in that A/T.

I'm guessing an overfill would be a bit more easier to achieve in the newer transmissions (more mechanicals packaged into a not-too-much-bigger case). Once you reach a Honda-specified threshold temperature and proper fluid level, those taken together considerably lessen risk of rotating gear impacting the surface of fluid in the sump (resulting in foaming).

We've had some memorable ATF foaming events on these forums in the past, due to overfill. I think mitch123d had this happen and gave a pretty good account of the follow-on damage.

That's a great idea. Use a scale. I've got a refrigerant scale that measures down to 1/10th of an ounce (weight), though I'm hoping it will be years before I have to drain / refill ATF using it (garage filled with old Hondas and an Acura).

OF

1 - 19 of 19 Posts