Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Northern California, and the best Odyssey price I've been given is $500 over sticker.

If I buy from a dealer who's 350 miles away, will the local dealer still provide warranty service exactly as if I bought it from there?

What if I purchase from a dealer out of state? Could I buy it in Oregon, which has no sales tax, then register it here? Does anybody know the implications? I assume that I'd have to pay the tax when I register in California.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
What if I purchase from a dealer out of state? Could I buy it in Oregon, which has no sales tax, then register it here? Does anybody know the implications? I assume that I'd have to pay the tax when I register in California.[/b][/QUOTE]

Any Honda dealer/shop should service your car no matter where you bought it, but i know that CA DMV will find out and charge you sales tax, just like if i were to buy a car from Orange county and i live in LA, if the dealer doesn't charge me the LA tax rate, DMV will send me a bill. Orange county has lower taxes than LA.

PS..There is a way to get out of paying CA sales tax(most likely not worth it to most people), If you have a friend that lives in that out of state, then buy it out of state, you have to register it in that state and can not bring the car into CA for, i remember for 6months(thats where your friend comes into play, need to leave car with him), then you can bring the car home and register it in CA. A friend of mine did this for a RV and saved alot in Calif sales tax.

[This message has been edited by JoesYum (edited 02-25-2002).]

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm in Northern Cali too, and I'm also looking for an Ody. There are other places selling MSRP in the area, but you have to be willing to drive there. Might be worth the $500 for only a 1 hour drive.

About the tax thing. The places I called said they would need to charge me California tax based on my home address. I've tried other places in California (I used to travel a lot) and even called out of state for delivery and my local tax would apply for all of them.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Shacky:
I'm in Northern Cali too, and I'm also looking for an Ody. There are other places selling MSRP in the area, but you have to be willing to drive there. Might be worth the $500 for only a 1 hour drive.

About the tax thing. The places I called said they would need to charge me California tax based on my home address. I've tried other places in California (I used to travel a lot) and even called out of state for delivery and my local tax would apply for all of them.
</font>
Yes, if the dealer out of your area tells you, you don't have to pay state or local tax. RUN! Because the DMV will send you a bill if the dealer forgets to collect the tax.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Could "those in the know" please post dealer names and offered price?

I'm in NorCal also and haven't been able to get a dealer below $1000 over MSRP on a MB EX-L.

thanks
Gary

·
Registered
368 Posts
Several on this board have purchased from a dealer in Ohio, had the car shipped to California. I got mine December, 2000. You pay no sales tax in the selling state, but you pay sales tax and registration here in California when your temporary 30 day Ohio registration expires. No problems getting car serviced at local dealer (MSRP +$3,500 in "extras" as opposed to MSRP -$500 in Ohio), in fact, they have never even asked me where I purchased it. All warranty repairs have been done as requested no problemo.

------------------
'01 TW EX-N; Xenon "hid look" headlights; Honda Dash kit, Jensen Flip Down TV; Sony Mobile VCP; Questar Mobile DVD player; Cargo Tray; Leather wrap wheel; Pioneer 1665's; Infinity 452's, Glove Box light mod, door edge moldings, mud guards, wheel well moldings, '02 drink holders, Leather kit; Dashtopper, Zaino'd

1 - 7 of 7 Posts