Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is amazing how i change over years when i keep my car longer than i suppose to. I am delaying my purchase too long. There was some vehicles that i strongly consider about buying. I change from Fun vehicle to all round vehicle. I look mostly at cargo space(third row) and features.

very serious***
somewhat serious**
ummm*

Honda Pilot**: I am not sure about Look and interior space.

Toyota Tacoma: Tipsy handling and small interior. I love look and
Tacomaworld website. Their website make me want to have one. It is the best.

Toyota Tundra: I love handling. It is so easy to drive but it is so big.

Ford Flex***: I like it but i dont like price tag. I almost order one. Let's say I got smarter with my money. I am little worried about Ford. I think that Ford forget their place. They are no better than Infiniti or Audi. Jeez. Ford: you are just ford.

Ford Explorer: I like it. I dont like price tag and interior space(it just ok). Too many bugs/complaints right now.

New Ford escape: I like it. It will be interesting to see price tag.

Lincoln Mkt: I like it. Its different. Used/New are expensive. I hate to say this. It is not wise to buy any lincoln product. Residual values going to hurt you....bad Just buy something else for same price. I am not going to say this but you know what lincoln price range can buy you but its your money:)

Dodge Durango*: I love it and i want one. I love everything about it. Surprising roomy for third row. R... Dependable?? Residual value sucks.

Toyota Highlander: Boring. What else i can say.

Toyota Sienna SE: I don't mind. One thing that bother me about Interior ...... yes you can read my mind. Fisher Quality.

9'-10 Honda Ody***. I like it. I like price. No usb. I am afraid if i buy it and kicking myself when i see '11 honda ody pass by:)

11' Honda Ody***. I like it. I wish price come down a little. I wish Lighting(HID) or Sound System 650 watts option on EX trim. 360 watts should be standard on EX trim. Honda crosstour has 360 watts standard.

Jeep Grand Cherokee: I want one (giggly).

Mazda 5**: i like it.

Mazda Cx 9: I like it. I am little worried about gas mileage. small network.

Subaru Outback*: I like it. I am worried about image(guy with smoke pipe driving it) and that what i see every once a while. I dont want AWd.

Infiniti FX35: I want one. Too expensive and limited interior. For Fun Vehicle: I will pick it over mustang or camaro:)

Acura MDx: I don't mind but not with ten thousand more and gas mileage.
I wish they offer 2 wd just like Acura rdx. I dont need all wheel drive.

I learn so much. I learn not to let emotion take over because that emotion going to fade:) Wait longer, More you realize that u get more and something better for your money depending on your situation. Some things can't wait. Looking forward to see your List:)

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I'll follow along your list a bit

Pilot: decent features decent ride. On the negative ugly outside even uglier interior. Engine and towing is pathetic for this size suv.

All I know about Tacoma is that I think those are the helux in Europe and the British top gear loves them.

Ford flex, honestly not a bad car drive and comfort wise. 3rd row was to small for us and I couldn't get over the interior and exterior design.

I had a jeep grand Cherokee 1994 loved it, however it became a massive money pit so that put me off any mopar products

We were very serious about a highlander I think it looks slick and is a great little package. When we did our test drives we noticed that the 2 limited made in Japan were quieter than the ones made in the USA.

We liked the 2010 odyssey touring a lot, except the dash layout wasn't great the center cluster was too crowded everything looked like an add on. (that's a minor thing) the absolute dealbreaker for us was highway noise. In fact I cut the test drive short because of it.

Cx9 had a great ride but the big smiling grill was irritating to look at. The angle of the dash made the navigation system unreadable anytime when the sun was in the sky. Plus the unit looked like I got it from best buy. Also the poor 3rd row killed it for us.

Mdx was great too; price was quite steep for the advanced package we looked at plus again 3rd row was not for adults.

Infinity qx56 was too much like a fortresses on wheels. I expected more interior space from something that size.

Audi q7 v8: great car loved the toys in it. The huge wheels and low profile tires did spoil the ride. In the end I was worried about the maintenance fee of such an expensive car.

Mercedes r class. Huge swinging rear doors, couldn't stand he feel of the throttle pedal. The price to quality and features seemed out or line to me.

2011 touring elite won it for us :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I drool when i see Audi Q7 but i will never own one:)

We own 06 ody. I still dont know how to use ac control defrost and heater. I has to ask my wife to turn on whatever it is on ac control. Pathetic?

Too many accidental buttons on (ac control) when i was playing with music.
11' ody ac control (turn knob) seem to be more friendly than 10' ody

Oh. I forget to add Toyota 4runner: i like it. Interior space kind of hold me back. I am not sure how well they will age over time.

Toyota FJ: I like it. They are affordable. I am not sure if two door worth hassle.
I wish they will come in 4 doors. My wife says Go for it. I think that she wants it for herself hehe.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Haha, ya that Q7 was sweet, all the features you need, bare minimums only. Panoramic sunroof, 4 zone climate control, ride height control. Oh and, power door locks ;)

I didn't mean to sandbag the ody, I think my problem was that we drove so many cars leaving the ody for last, I had high hopes and was let down. 2011 was not out then.

Regarding the 4runner, I thought that thing rode too much like a truck. Since this car was going to be a family/road trip car, I would have picked the highlander over the 4runner.
I like the looks of the old Sequoia but the new one to me looks like those aluminum trailers with headlamps. You need to get the sooped up offroad wannabe the give it some curves.

My neighbor has an FJ. He has 4 kids too, though he doesn't take all of them with that thing. The mini doors seem to work fine, he really likes his! Personally, I don't get it, so I'll refrain from judgement on that since I have not driven in one.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like old Sequoia. New Sequoia is just too much.

I am surprised that it kind of easy to get in and out back of toyota FJ. I can't speak for others.

I wish subaru have products to compete with co-partner Toyota and honda (van and crossover with 3rd). I dont think that i am going to count subura Tribeca:). Since Subura have access to Toyota. It will be nice to see Subura use Sienna and highlander chassis and take it to next level.

I notice that VW getting aggressive with their products. They starting to show their products at small festivals. They just move VW Dealership near Hyundai and Toyota Dealership. It going to be interesting. They mean business. They need to focus on reliability rather than going globe.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I happy with our purchase of a CPO 08 Odyssey. We just picked it up last month.

I would not get the Sienna for the interior also.

I wish Mazda made a better Mini van , not a sub mini van.

I also own a FX35 .... love it, not as expensive as you think.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Volvo should make a minivan! It would be every soccer mom's dream!

Honestly though, my parents owned an S70 T5 over 10 years ago, and it was great. Also, I thought the new volvo's seats were amazingly comfortable.
Some Volvo Minivan with the T6 engine, some R-design queues, some nice volvo seats and a quiet ride. Hopefully they ditch their navigation system because it is horrible. Obviously the cost would be in consequence, but I might take on a 2nd job to pay for one if that was an option. (incase it matters, I'm a dad..)

edit; I think the 3rd gen Odys can look very sharp, depending on color and trim!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Volvo getting better with design at concept show. They should done that long time. It will be ideal for moms. I know many moms love and want Volvo just like ody. I am sure that some husbands are not thrilled about this due to cost and maintenance.

When we were looking for a van. I was pushing for kia van and dodge caravan when my wife want ody. Why? because i am afraid of infamous big T and cost. I have to go with what she wants. She is happy then i am happy:). I am so glad that we went with ody. We love it.

Infiniti may not be expensive but you can get more space for your money in same price range. I really like FX35. I have to think about what i am going through right now and long term.

My wife use van for personal and hauling. It's really pain to wait for my wife to arrive home and move her stuff before using van. One reason to look for vehicle with 3rd row or van. Any Car that can hauls twin bed is a winner:)

Infiniti coming out with 2013 jx seven seater soon. They come with old engine and FWD at starting price 40. Are you serious? They should start at 34. Jeez.

·
Registered
19 Posts
When my Ody was in the body shop for a minor door repair (got hit in a parking lot), we got a rental. It was a Chrysler Limited Town&Country, what a piece of $***. The trim was terrible and felt like plastic and not luxury (limited edition), the radio was still the green looking display they had on 1999 GM utility van radios and way too much torque steer.

*Nissan Quest -- I dont like the exterior design right now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My gut feeling initially before any test drives was that the '11 Ody would best suit our needs...

Test drives:
Ford Explorer - great computer/usb system, stiff ride, a bit hard to get into the third row seats, didn't have the colour I wanted, pricey $50 K

Ford Edge - really liked the ride and feel of the vehicle, great computer/usb system, but I needed more space and a third row, good look too

Honda Pilot - actually really like the chunky masculine look, wife initially wanted it, has a heavier feel on the road than the Odyssey, less value for the price (ie., no entertainment unit, rear sensors, uses more fuel, etc... for a similarly priced Odyssey). We were very close to getting this one.

Toyota Sienna - beautiful minivan, recommended by friends, didn't even test drive it, but I preferred the new styling of the '11 Ody,

Hyundai Sante Fe - good vehicle and very reasonably priced, but so many of these are on the road, wanted something more unique, also wanted a third row, my next door neighbour has one!

Nissan Quest - wasn't into the styling

Acura MDX - beautiful, but heavy on the gas (premium) and more costly $10K more

Audi Q7 - beautiful, but too expensive at this time

Honda Odyssey - having owned 3 previous Hondas and really liking the test drive... the wife says, "It drives like my Accord." The best value for what we needed vs a Pilot or MDX
, the dealer had the colour we liked (white) and also took $3000 off the MSRP...it was a done deal.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Toyota Sienna- Beautiful van. I was looking at 2 pass by sienna but interior....i just cant.

Nissan Quest- Pass by. Look all right. I believe that they are base or middle trim.

I favor older Pilot(09-11)I am starting to warm up on Pilot. I saw 2012 pilot touring wheels on 10. It look good. Totally different character. I want to see how acura advance tech wheels dark 6 spokes will look on Pilot.

More '11 odys are on road now.

I see that Nissan is bringing 3 row soon(Infiniti JX). I am sure that price is going to be competitive. I am not sure if they are going to call it pathfinder.

I saw New Crv. It look nice. Ugly wheels really ruin it. Price range from 25,000 to 27 and 28. Ex, EX L and EXL Nav. They are MSRP price and not invoice(that good:). They are still.. umm small or reasonable. Seems like it will make lot of senses to buy over crosstour (price and space).

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I looked at pix of the Infiniti JX. Honestly I don't think the 3rd row will be good for adults. Also the rear and side remind me of the subaru tribecca.
I like how the FX35 looks, but I personally don't understand sporty SUVs. I'd rather have a sedan or wagon. Also I didn't find the trunk space in the FX very impressive.
Anyways I hope Honda expand their range with a V8 engine.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea. I saw Infiniti JX video somewhere 3rd row. It was not good.

Honda v8. I am not sure about that or have high hope in that. If they do. That s great.
I will prefer v6 turbo:) or 3.7

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Yea. I saw Infiniti JX video somewhere 3rd row. It was not good.

Honda v8. I am not sure about that or have high hope in that. If they do. That s great.
I will prefer v6 turbo:) or 3.7
Ya I agree that a Honda v8 is reaching quite far in dream land. But they are pretty decent engines. They can be very resonable on fuel like in the LS460, or rev high like in an M3.

Your right though, a turbo V6 would be nice. A turbo straight 6 even nicer but that is certainly not going to happen.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
For whatever is worth, I traded one of my Mazda5s (I used to own 2) for the Honda Odyssey. The Mazda5 is a great, fun to drive, inexpensive family vehicle, but there is no way I can compare apples to apples to an Odyssey, even if it has sliding doors and very useful space distribution.

From the Mazda5 and 3 kids, I learned that sliding doors and captain chairs on the 2nd row (for car seats) are the best space wise, so a van had to be, nothing else.

In my case, we would not buy a van nor an SUV/CUV unless there is no other choice, but to each its own :D

Here is the list from my old spreadsheet and the actual ranking. We did this from around August to October 2010. We did not test drive the Quest, the Dodge Caravan nor the Routan (unavailable or low ranking reason)

2011 Nissan Quest - 5
2011 Toyota Sienna - 2
2011 Honda Odyssey - 1
2011 Dodge Grand Caravan - 6
2011 Chrysler Town & Country - 3
2010/2011 VW Routan - 4

We based this ranking on the following combination of items:

- Preferred Trim(s)
- Preferred Package(s)
- Preferred Extras
- Preferred Colors
- Pros
- Cons
- Fuel Economy
- Dimensions
- Reviews and Videos

Too much blah-blah, but for the Odyssey here are the pros and cons. The pros beat the cons as you can see:

Pros:
- Dealer Location
- 2nd Row Seat with 3 car seat latches
- Integrated Sunshades (2nd row) on EX-L +

Cons:
- 6AT only on Touring and Touring Elite Models
- 1st Year Model

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My wife love ody....but she find it little big for daily use work and personal. She don't mind keeping it. She like VW routan(warn her that routan is not going to sit in our garage:) )and Volvo SUV. I suggest Mazda 5 but i am little worried about Mazda 5 being underpowered. Stuff (weight) in the back, A/C(my wife use A/C excessive) and underpowered is not going be good combination.

Now I am intrigued with new redesigned member in Honda line up:)

I see that ody going to be ..um ..unique for now. I don't see many ody( 4)like Toyota sienna (60) in one week.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
I suggest Mazda 5 but i am little worried about Mazda 5 being underpowered. Stuff (weight) in the back, A/C(my wife use A/C excessive) and underpowered is not going be good combination.
Does you wife race other grocery getters at the Walmart parking lot? Does she use it to haul cargo daily? If no, she'll be fine (and you'll save a lot of money in the short and run long, these cars are cheap to maintain and fun to drive ;))

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
:)) Well No but she is racing against time to meet client to others. Sometime I caught her in hurry to meet her client:) in town. Yes she carry stuff for therapy as part of her job. She carry a lot of stuff that her ody dragging out in the back. I suggest to take what she need and so far she is doing little better:). I bet these Mazda 5 lot cheaper to run than high maintenance like Ody(sigh). Ody has been good van and just that sometime it got me worried about expense and maintenance(My wife is umm....little tough on van). I hate surprise:).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts