Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2014 Odyssey and am planning to pull a trailer. I have a hitch and wiring harness for a 2007 that I previously owned. Can I use that or is it not compatible?

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I bought a 2014 Odyssey and am planning to pull a trailer. I have a hitch and wiring harness for a 2007 that I previously owned. Can I use that or is it not compatible?
I'm in the same situation (replacing my 2006 EX-L with a 2017 EX-L).

The hitch will fit, but if you go to etrailer.com and search for wiring harnesses, you'll find that none of the part numbers from Curt, T-One or Hopkins match between the Gen 3 and Gen 4 Ody's.

2007: 2007 Honda Odyssey Trailer Wiring | etrailer.com

2014: 2014 Honda Odyssey Trailer Wiring | etrailer.com

As far as the hitch, how does 07's look? The hitch I put on the 06 over 10 years ago is pretty beat. Peeling paint, rust, etc. The rest of the vehicle looks great, but the hitch is a real eyesore. I can't see myself bolting that onto my 2017. I'm going to put the Draw-Tite 76025 hidden hitch on the 17. If you go that direction and buy from etrailer, make sure you take advantage of their "price match +10% Off" promise. Their price for the 76025 is twice as much as elsewhere. I already called them and the sales rep seemed surprised at the price difference but said that it was eligible for the match offer.

etrailer:
Auto Anything: Draw-Tite 76025 - Draw-Tite Trailer Hitch ($12 shipping)

Also available through Amazon and other places.

Don't forget about adding an ATF cooler.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My 2007 hitch is pretty rusty but I was going to just sand it down and spray a coat of rustoleum on it followed by black paint. Figuring it's going to look the same with rust after a few years anyway. Already have the ATF cooler picked out, but thanks for the reminder. Great price match find though. Thanks for the tip. Looks like I'll be purchasing the wiring harness for the 2014...

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
My 2007 hitch is pretty rusty but I was going to just sand it down and spray a coat of rustoleum on it followed by black paint. Figuring it's going to look the same with rust after a few years anyway. Already have the ATF cooler picked out, but thanks for the reminder. Great price match find though. Thanks for the tip. Looks like I'll be purchasing the wiring harness for the 2014...
The rusted look after a few years is why I've decided to go with the Draw-Tite and leave the Curt on the 06 when I sell it. Since the 06 is all set to tow, I'm hoping to get a couple hundred more for it. Who knows? In any case, the Draw-Tite provides more ground clearance and a better overall look. The only rust that'll show will be on the receiver, which I hope I'll be able to touch up as required.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good call. I think I'll do the same. My 07 scraps the ground sometimes when turning into a location with a steep drive, so that sounds better anyway.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I couldn't find a phone number for eTrailer on their website. You mentioned calling them. Can you provide that?

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I couldn't find a phone number for eTrailer on their website. You mentioned calling them. Can you provide that?
Yeah, I found the same issue. The guy gave me some BS excuse about them removing the phone number from their "Contact Us" page during times of high call volume. Meanwhile, I called them twice within the same hour and got through fairly quickly both times, once I found the number.

You need to drill down into one of the topics found on the right of the Contact Us page. Not all of them have the phone number either. Anyway, this should work, found via the TRACKING SAYS "BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED" link.

"Please contact us by email or call 800-298-8924 (Monday-Friday 7am-8pm, Saturday 9am-5pm and Sunday 12pm-6pm Central Time) and we would be happy to tell you when you can expect delivery."

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you planning to install the harness and just run it on the inside of the vehicle through the lift gate, or somehow through the bottom and along the hitch to be permanently on the outside?

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Are you planning to install the harness and just run it on the inside of the vehicle through the lift gate, or somehow through the bottom and along the hitch to be permanently on the outside?
Still mulling that one over. I live in the rust belt. Lot's a salt, slush, etc. On my 06 I stowed van side wires in the jack vault and ran it through the hatch when in use. When I re-wired my trailer, I made sure that I had enough wire so that the connection stays inside the van while in use. No exposure to the elements.

The 17 has no jack vault, so I'd probably have to leave the van-side wiring in the driver's side storage compartment. It's no big deal but not having it out in the "open" would be more aesthetically pleasing. In addition, the Draw-Tite doesn't have a mounting plate like the OEM hitch does, so I haven't looked into how I would mount it if I ran it outside. I've dealt with corroded harness connectors before and they are never any fun.

I haven't called to order anything yet either. If you do, let me know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Awesome. Thanks for the number. I’ll call them tomorrow.
Did you ever call etrailer and try to get the 10% discount?

I just called CARiD (800.505.3274) and when I told them that eTrailer would price match and give me 10% off, they offered me the same 10% off their price of $151.

$177 with shipping and tax. Granted, they used my veteran status as the reason, but I'm pretty sure I would have gotten the discount anyway. I just made it easy for them. :)

Supposedly will ship from the vendor in 10 days. We'll see.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes. Etrailer honored the price match with 10% discount. Just heard back from them today. Looks like I’ll be removing the rear bumper to mount it. Thanks again for the tip.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Yes. Etrailer honored the price match with 10% discount. Just heard back from them today. Looks like I’ll be removing the rear bumper to mount it. Thanks again for the tip.
Did they say when you would get it? They seem to be in short supply. Amazon says "usually ships in 1 - 2 months". CARiD had to contact the vendor to ensure that it would be shipped within the 7-10 business day time frame that CARiD's website says. Other sites just say "out of stock".

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It shows it's in route. Coming from Missouri. Looks like it will be hear in less than a week.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
It shows it's in route. Coming from Missouri. Looks like it will be hear in less than a week.
I hope my experience with CARiD goes as smooth.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I actually like CarID as much as RockAuto. I've had nothing but positive experiences with them.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I sent you a PM...not sure if you saw it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts