Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I have to purchase the extended warranty when I purchase the Vehicle or can I wait sometime before the factory warranty runs out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You can wait up to 24 months or 24,000 miles, whichever comes first with no surcharge from Honda. There is a $60 surcharge from the 24/24,000 point up to 36 months or 36,000 miles whichever comes first. Between the 36/36,000 point and 42 months or 42,000 miles there is a $160 surcharge.

If you have any other questions please e-mail.

Jeff
Balise Honda
e-mail: [email protected]

·
Registered
100 Posts
I don't have the default warranty and the extended warranty policies here with me, but I think the extended warranty includes some services that are not in the default warranty (emergency road services, warranty repair car allowance, travel services, ....). These may encourage you to buy the extended warranty early on.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by hffej:
You can wait up to 24 months or 24,000 miles, whichever comes first with no surcharge from Honda. There is a $60 surcharge from the 24/24,000 point up to 36 months or 36,000 miles whichever comes first. Between the 36/36,000 point and 42 months or 42,000 miles there is a $160 surcharge.

If you have any other questions please e-mail.

Jeff
Balise Honda
e-mail: [email protected]
</font>

True, there currently is a known surcharge, but there is no guarrantee that the base price of an extended warranty will stay the same as it is now.

Also, many people have shopped around and gotten good deals on the warranties - those deals may not last forever.

IMHO, if one is planning to buy an extended warranty, it is best to go ahead and take advantage of a good deal rather than hope that a good deal is still available later. Prices rarely come down!

Regards,

Maugham

·
Registered
11 Posts
Honda might increase the extended warranty prices later if many of the problems been reported on this forum is true and are widespread. I'd purchase the extended warranty now and include it in the finance.

Ray

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rho928:
Honda might increase the extended warranty prices later if many of the problems been reported on this forum is true and are widespread...</font>
I think pricing of the extended warranty is more a function of what the market will bear rather than the actual costs involved. It is a balance between price and how many you can sell ("price elasticity of demand").

That's the way all manufacturers price their vehicles.

Regards,

Maugham

·
Registered
147 Posts
Maugham said:
I think pricing of the extended warranty is more a function of what the market will bear rather than the actual costs involved. It is a balance between price and how many you can sell ("price elasticity of demand").
That's the way all manufacturers price their vehicles.
I know you're right, but... why didn't Honda raise the MSRP on the Ody over the last two years? Why did they let their dealers get all that extra profit?

Honda might have gotten $1,000 more on invoice. For 100,000 cars, that's $100 million of pure profit. Why leave it on the table?

Marshall

1 - 8 of 8 Posts