Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the birth of our 3rd child, the SUV no longer cuts it and we need a minivan. Wifey wants an Ody.

I'll be honest - neither my wife or I love the looks of the new 4th gen. But I AM a fan of the new 6 speed transmission!

Just trying to decide between a nice low mileage 09 or 10 Ody vs. a new one and I was hoping someone out there that has owned both models can give a real world comparison.

Is the 4th gen that much better? Is the 6 speed a lot better than the 5 speed??

Thanks!

·
Registered
786 Posts
Well if there's one thing that can be learned from the discussions on here in the last few months, its that looks are subjective. I only have the 3rd gen. The looks of the 4th being the leading reason for that ;) . But I don't think you could go all that wrong with low mileage 09 or 10. What are your major concernes/desired features? Also what trim are you looking at?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah understood. Don't want to start a big debate on the looks. It is what it is.

I'm just trying to figure out if the 4th gen is "better" in enough other ways to warrant getting it over a 3rd gen. (drivability, 6 speed vs 5 speed, overall driving characteristics, etc.)

I've test driven both briefly but obviously that's not enough to really get a good feel for the cars.

We are looking at touring or touring elite (if new) ...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Having 3 kids myself, and having both gen's, i strongly suggest the new one. the doors on the new van, with the push button close, is WAY better than the previous van. the pull lever on the 3rd gen was atrocious, and stuck all the time. Also, the warranty is a huge issue for us. our '05 went through 3, and needed a 4th motor mount. We had 1 more year on our honda extended warranty on our '05, but my husband decided it was worth it for the new van.

The RES now has a play button, i haven't had to push play myself at all :D

I like that i can fit all 3 of my kids in the middle row (i didn't have that option on my '05)

and the biggest thing.. OEM seat covers! :D :D :D :D :D

I don't have to worry (much!) about the leather in the van anymore, because of the carseats. our '05's leather was destroyed. it was awful.

I also like that you can scoot the seats 2 inches apart, and pull the middle one forward. That has saved us some major fights the past few weeks (course i could always send the oldest kid who can buckle himself in his carseat, in the 3rd row, but still :D

i'd be happy to answer any questions if you had any.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The advantages/improvements of the 2011 Odyssey that I can think of. Some are features specific to certain trim levels, so ask questions if you want clarification on that topic:

1. Better car seat options. You have 5 LATCH anchors/6 top tether anchors. You can literally have a car seat in each of the back seats and the second row's seats slide 2 inches to the side, so you can fit pretty much any imaginable car seat combination in the second row.
2. USB port and iPod integration. You can plug your iPod/iPhone into a USB port and control it via voice commands. The device will even charge while it's plugged in. WARNING: Honda messed this feature up and the iPod will skip on about every song. It will still charge okay, though.
3. A2DP Bluetooth streaming. You can play music over Bluetooth with your iPhone or other device still in your pocket. WARNING: Honda screwed this up, too, and there's a three second delay. It's irritating when listening to music because the fast forward/rewind buttons are slow to respond, and don't even consider watching video on an iPad hoping that the sound will be in sync! It's awful.
4. Higher resolution, faster hard-drive based GPS system with FM traffic (traffic functionality works okay, not great).
5. Cool box air conditioned compartment in front console to keep drinks cold.
6. The backup camera has three useful views: wide, normal and a top-down view (like looking down from the back bumper). There are lines that help you park just right by helping with aligning the car and judging distance. I don't think the 2010 has those features, but someone correct me if I'm wrong.
7. Touring Elite trim has surround sound, a dual-view movie screen, HDMI input and blind spot indicators.
8. More interior space.
9. Better gas mileage.
10. Improved instrumentation with a sort of joystick wheel control for scrolling options quickly and selecting items directionally.
11. Hard drive that automatically stores audio CDs so you can play them later without the CD! Sadly, you'll have to burn CDs instead of importing music from your iPod to utilize the feature.
12. Made in America!

That's all I can think of for now.

The big selling points for me were the increased options for child seats and iPod capability/Bluetooth audio, but the latter two feature are buggy, sadly.

One more advantage is that I suspect the crash test ratings will be even better than the 2010, but they haven't actually rated it yet.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Here are the 4 things in the 4th gen that are better than the 3rd gen.

1. More power with six speed tranny, but still getting better mpg. I was averaging 19-21mpg with our 05, but now I'm averaging 21-24mpg with our 11.

2. HID auto leveling headlights. I've used a pnp hid kit in our 05 and it was ok, but since our headlights were reflector headlights instead of true hid headlights with auto leveling capability, we had some problems when our car was loaded.

3. Blind spot detection system. This made me more lazy but when the car is loaded and can't see through the back window, it helped a lot.

4. Reduced interior noise compare to our 05. Our 05 was old with over 120k miles so that's probably why it was sort of loud. And I'm not sure if this accoustic front windshield really works, but in either way, our 11 is still A LOT quieter. I just hate the fact that my side mirrors and the front windshield is distorted.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I will admit that Honda really did go after families with the 4th gen more than ever and when dealing with children it is much better than the 3rd. I guess I'm one of the people not concerned about child seat placement, but find the armrest deletion a major turnoff.:D (over the vehicle life I have had to put two car seats in the van once a year for 30 miles)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies. It definitely sounds like a new one is the way to go. I hate buying new cars (especially 1st year models) but I think that's the way we're leaning at this point. Our local dealer has the exact car we want being delivered in the next 2-3 weeks so we'll probably take it. Thanks for all the replies!

·
Registered
739 Posts
You won't save any worthwile money buying an 09 or a 10, check out Edmunds true cost to own...

I own an 06 EX-L and have test drove 3 2011s, the 06 handles better and looks better inside and out IMHO, everything else 2011 is an improvement.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Frogger said:
You won't save any worthwile money buying an 09 or a 10, check out Edmunds true cost to own...

I own an 06 EX-L and have test drove 3 2011s, the 06 handles better and looks better inside and out IMHO, everything else 2011 is an improvement.
Looks better inside? Really? Maybe if you're into early 1980s personal computers...

·
Registered
69 Posts
limitup said:
With the birth of our 3rd child, the SUV no longer cuts it and we need a minivan. Wifey wants an Ody.

I'll be honest - neither my wife or I love the looks of the new 4th gen. But I AM a fan of the new 6 speed transmission!

Just trying to decide between a nice low mileage 09 or 10 Ody vs. a new one and I was hoping someone out there that has owned both models can give a real world comparison.

Is the 4th gen that much better? Is the 6 speed a lot better than the 5 speed??

Thanks!
we went through similar decision recently.

the rear end lightning bolt took some getting used to but the rest of the styling on the 2011 is a nice modern evolution. i've gotten nothing but "nice car!" since we got it... many don't even notice it's a van -- perhaps all the fusion of suv/crossovers/wagons/etc has blurred things so much.

at least in our area (so cal) the pricing on 09-10 were all in the high $20k range so it was a no brainer to get the 2011. rather not have to buy a "new to us car" to have it have a major issue (warrantied or not) within 3-5 years because it came with 50k on it...totally not worth it at this point in our lives.

here's to the 2011's transmissions, torque converters, engine mounts, etc are better! ;-)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I own a silver/black leather 05 Touring that I successfully "de-paxed" at 37000 miles. Ride is better with standard wheels (in my case 16") I have no kids in car seats, but that could change with 2 new great grand sons. Love my 05. Everything except tires and wheels is original. Black upholstery is rich looking.
Drove an '11 Touring (so far the Elite has not come to any of our area dealers--why?) The new one drove a little better than mine but not enough to turn on that "got to have this" button.
As for gas mileage I drive 137 mile trips frequently in So Cal and turn in up to 24.8 once 25.2 MPG.
Remember you have to get the Touring or Elite to get the 6 speed--a boo-boo by Honda I think.

The "lightning bolt"---I wish it wasn't there---still think my 05 looks cleaner (personal op)

Honda ran a two page ad in National Geographic and the "bolt" was in the fold and one of their TV ads the little elf stands in front of the bolt.

Suggestion----wait a few months until they become more plentiful and you might get a better deal.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I traded in our '05 for the '11.

I am very very happy I did.

Quieter, less road noise (don't have to turn the audio system up as high), and better ride.

Braking is better and pedal feel is more linear. Though the steering is lighter, handling is better --- in part due to a lower center of gravity and tighter turning radius.

I am big believer in active safety, and I felt the '11 was a significant improvement over '05, and was what led me to pull the trigger.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Johnofrpv said:
I own a silver/black leather 05 Touring that I successfully "de-paxed" at 37000 miles. Ride is better with standard wheels (in my case 16") I have no kids in car seats, but that could change with 2 new great grand sons. Love my 05. Everything except tires and wheels is original. Black upholstery is rich looking.
Drove an '11 Touring (so far the Elite has not come to any of our area dealers--why?) The new one drove a little better than mine but not enough to turn on that "got to have this" button.
As for gas mileage I drive 137 mile trips frequently in So Cal and turn in up to 24.8 once 25.2 MPG.
Remember you have to get the Touring or Elite to get the 6 speed--a boo-boo by Honda I think.

The "lightning bolt"---I wish it wasn't there---still think my 05 looks cleaner (personal op)

Honda ran a two page ad in National Geographic and the "bolt" was in the fold and one of their TV ads the little elf stands in front of the bolt.

Suggestion----wait a few months until they become more plentiful and you might get a better deal.
wish they had black leather as an option for the 2011. we went for the darkest option they had for our ex-l which was truffle.... not sure if touring/elite has black leather as an option

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah no black interior WTF. We are buying a touring elite and they only offer *2* interior colors. Bizarre. We also are going with the darkest gray color which I guess they call truffle. With the kiddos dark interior is a must otherwise the car looks gross all the time!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello Ody fans, I think this may be my first post, but I have benefited from forum information in the past. I realize this thread is old, I just wanted to see if anyone else cares to share their thoughts on 3rd gen vs. 4th gen Odysseys?

I currently drive an 07 EX-L RES (75k miles), and I am thinking of getting a 2015 Touring Elite. I *love* the way my 3rd gen drives (also loved the 2nd gen when I had that), and I also prefer the cleaner lines of the older model for both the exterior and interior (yes, interior!). I am not liking the way Japanese cars are styled these days. But the tech things in the new Odyssey are pushing me towards getting a new car (backup camera, audio/phone interface etc).

One other thing, it irks me that I can't get black exterior with beige interior anymore, or black on black. I am not a fan of either grey or truffle interior, nor do I like white or cherry exteriors (the only colors available with beige interior). Do color combinations change over time? I might be willing to wait. (Yes, color matters that much to me :)

Thanks for your thoughts!

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
First of all, White is the best color, because this is what I have and therefore you should like it too. :stupid:

I'm with you, I didn't like the truffle interior much, although in older threads many people loved it.

We have a 2011 TE, we took delivery in December 2010 and we still really like it. It's not perfect and we had a few issues. Especially the first month with some interior quality and trim, but those were resolved. Recently, I had the transmission judder. Software update and trans oil flush fixed that. Struts have been clunking, both sides replaced, still clunking on passenger side.
From reading around, there are some members that had a 2011-2013 that moved to a 2014-2015 and they said the handling is improved and rides more like a 3rd gen. I find the 2011 to ride just fine, but I didn't have a 3rd gen to compare against (only did a short test drive back in 2010 and the highway wind noise killed that deal for me).

As far as the colors go, I have to agree with you. The lack of beige and the over-use of that gray everywhere drives me nuts. Living in Florida we wanted a light color, so it was between White and Silver. But Beige was only offered with white exterior so we went with that. I am happy with that though because I see another TE in Silver and I find the white looks better, actually white really grew on me and it's probably my favorite color on the Odyssey, running really close with that Obsidian blue.
The gadgets and gizmos in the Ody are pretty nice, I have to admit. I really do wish it had seats closer to what the MDX has (atleast upfront, kids still in booster seats).
Have you taken a test drive yet?

·
Registered
836 Posts
I'm no expert on this topic, but after reading many. many, reviews I believe that the Gen 3 holds the title for reliability. I've read over and over again that Honda went down hill with model year 2011 thru the present. Now having read all that information, I chose recently to purchase a pre-owned 2011 Odyssey EX anyway. It was coming off a 3 year lease and only had just over 20,000 miles on her. The mpg sold me. Am still having a hard time getting use to less than 35 mpg! The 25/26 mpg I'm getting is down right lousy in my mind. But she will be very nice for trips and for hauling the grand kids around. Their parents never had such luxury!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Parmm - downright "lousy". 25/26mpg on such a large vehicle is as good as it gets! I know folks that have those Escalades, don't 4-wheel drive and get 18...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts