Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to buy an 2011 Ody soon. I have been reading and learning lots from you all. I have been bummed that you can't push the 2nd row captains chairs together on the new models. Two weeks ago,I was told by a rep at the auto show that the two captain chairs on the 2011 Ody CAN be put together, just not pushed. You have to remove the little 8th seat, lift one of the captains chairs completely out and move it over onto the tracks next to the other captain chair. She said she wished they had kept the push feature with the new models. Has anyone tried this? Pics?I love the idea of having an aisle to the 3rd row.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I didn't think you could have them together. (thats what I was told) I briefly looked at the location of the catches underneath and didn't think you could locate both together, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I plan to buy an 2011 Ody soon. I have been reading and learning lots from you all. I have been bummed that you can't push the 2nd row captains chairs together on the new models. Two weeks ago,I was told by a rep at the auto show that the two captain chairs on the 2011 Ody CAN be put together, just not pushed. You have to remove the little 8th seat, lift one of the captains chairs completely out and move it over onto the tracks next to the other captain chair. She said she wished they had kept the push feature with the new models. Has anyone tried this? Pics?I love the idea of having an aisle to the 3rd row.
Ha! I would guess you went to this year's NYIAS and spoke to the cute lady who's the Honda rep for the Odyssey. I asked her the exact thing too and her response is the same as yours. I too am curious if what she said is really true. AFAIK the new Odyssey has omitted this subtle feature from the previous generation.

New owners, kindly shed light on this if you please.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Ha! I would guess you went to this year's NYIAS and spoke to the cute lady who's the Honda rep for the Odyssey. I asked her the exact thing too and her response is the same as yours. I too am curious if what she said is really true. AFAIK the new Odyssey has omitted this subtle feature from the previous generation.

Only if you post pictures of the cute lady :)

I didn't think it was possible either, though it is a bummer that you lose the armrest. I saw some pictures of the odyssey where they swaped the passenger and driverside outboard seats. This gave them an arm rest in the middle (removing the center seat ofcourse). I guess you could use the edge of the window as an armrest...

With that said, I might try to switch my daughter's seat this weekend, so if I do that I'll try to see if it's possible to put the 2 outboard seats together.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Yes, I was at the NY show.The lady I talked to was on the lower level with the Pilot and the Ody without leather seats. Hubby says the she was "ok looking", I was too busy climbing into the third row with a baby in my arms to give her a proper once over,lol. The van on the other hand, I thoroughly checked out and fell in love. I really hope she is right about the seats. I appreciate you owners checking it out for me.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Pretty sure you can't. But in "wide mode" and the extra room with the wider design you can get two car seats on the centre and outside. The centre seat is more comfortable and larger than the previous "jump" seat. Most car seats seem to have arms. I even managed to get the MiL into the back with the second row tilted forward?

I think you can google some seat configurations to see if it suits your needs. I thought that the Odyssey had better seat options than the Sienna at the time of purchase.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Kulsa: Ha ha, I can definitly understand that :)

Okay, curiousity got the best of me. I just went in the garage and spent some quality time with the van.
The short answer is: NO YOU CAN'T.

Even with the seat in the outboard position, you can't get the seats close enough to use the same hook. (the ouboard seats have a much wider hook which allows this wide mode setup). You are forced to use the hook the middle seat would clamp onto, which puts the other side of the seat a few inches out of reach of another hook. I took some pictures while I was tooling around so if you're interested let me know.

Hope that helps.
-Phil

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've got the 2011 Odyssey brochure in front of me. They show 10 seating configurations on one page. First of all, everything in the second row can be removed. No surprise there. They have something called the 2nd row "wide mode", in which the second row seats can be placed closer to the outside edges. However, they do not show any configuration that places the two 2nd row captains chairs right next to each other with a space on one of the outside edges. So, I think the slide thing is a no-go.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kulsa: Ha ha, I can definitly understand that :)

Okay, curiousity got the best of me. I just went in the garage and spent some quality time with the van.
The short answer is: NO YOU CAN'T.

-Phil
Ugh that stinks.She said she was sure it could be done. Thanks for checking for me. Any pics would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Ugh that stinks.She said she was sure it could be done. Thanks for checking for me. Any pics would be appreciated.
I'm not sure what the pics will show, but confirmed, it can't be done. The base locks fall like 1in short of the hooks IIRC. I guess that feature was killed by the adjustable wide-mode seating configuration (which is awesome if you need to place 3 car seats on the same row ;))

Edit: the middle seat is a little bit wider, it might be good for short ride adult sitting if you need to take one of the outer seats off.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Ya, I maybe I should have her over, we can try to set the seats together :)

ok enough childish jokes; here are the pictures I took:

Seats together, un-clamped.

driver side seat using the 'wide' mode clamp location.

Driver side seat on the right of picture, passenger side seat on the left of the picture. The passenger side seat is clamped to the hook the middle seat would use.

Gap between seats in this configuration

This leaves the right clamp on the passenger seat with no hook to attach to.

This is as close as you can get the seats. If you somehow managed to get the passenger seat to use that wide hook that's used by the driver seat, both seats would clamp on both sides so that would be perfect. As you can see from the picture the plastic trim and inset of the hook under the seats won't permit that.

In the last picture it looks like I could have moved my driver side seat a little further to the right, but this is as far right as it goes. The clamp on the other side is right up against the edge.

I hope these pictures help, and it is a bummer it can't be done. However, as stated above, if this was a 'possible' configuration, I'm sure it would have been in the odyssey brochure or on their website.

-Phil

·
Registered
4 Posts
My sales guy said the seats could go together, too

Glad for the confirmation that you can't. In my situation it works out ok, since that center seat isn't very comfortable, but has LATCH anchors we can move a car seat to the middle and give an extra adult riding the captain's chair. This was a flexibility feature we really liked about the Ody. The Sienna had the more comfortable center seat, but why make an adult sit in the middle when you can easily move a car seat.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you so much for those pictures. Since we have two in car seats we will put one behind the driver seat and one in the center and possibly remove the other captain chair to give easy access to the back. Thanks again for your help! I'm sure I'll have many more questions once I'm and owner.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Honda Reps

When the nice lady at the NY Auto Show said that the two seats can be placed side-by-side and she's 100% sure about it, I honestly just took that with a grain of salt. I'm not disrespecting her for what she's doing but I've known through the years that a pretty decent majority of auto marketing reps don't really know the product they are selling inside and out. To them it's just their way to get their own bills paid. It's really not their passion to study what makes the product they're marketing work. This is the main reason why a lot of buyers don't trust them whenever they say something because if there's one thing they're good at, it's by wearing their poker face at work.

Thank goodness for us living through the Internet age, for we can educate ourselves better than those guys. Now, if those guys would only spend some of their time visiting helpful forums like this then we won't be talking about them anymore. :)

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
When the nice lady at the NY Auto Show said that the two seats can be placed side-by-side and she's 100% sure about it, I honestly just took that with a grain of salt. I'm not disrespecting her for what she's doing but I've known through the years that a pretty decent majority of auto marketing reps don't really know the product they are selling inside and out. To them it's just their way to get their own bills paid. It's really not their passion to study what makes the product they're marketing work. This is the main reason why a lot of buyers don't trust them whenever they say something because if there's one thing they're good at, it's by wearing their poker face at work.

Thank goodness for us living through the Internet age, for we can educate ourselves better than those guys. Now, if those guys would only spend some of their time visiting helpful forums like this then we won't be talking about them anymore. :)
I partially agree with you there, but I think that too many reps / sales people at dealership know far too little about what they sell. I don't expect a disertation regarding internal combustion engines or VCM system, however seating configuration, especially in a van, seems like it should be something they know. All they know is a few key buzz words or slogans, like "Ohh Honda is all about safety" (this was the answer I got when I said that I wish the van had an optional panoramic sunroof [not from the dealership where i bought my van]). If that fails, they mention the ACE body structure and something about 5 star ratings.
If your profession is to sell a specific group/brand of vehicles, learn about them. I think this falls in the hands of the dealership management too though. Sales staff usually wonders around until shoppers arrive, in their idle time, I think they should have someone teaching them about the cars on the lot.

With that said, the 2 most ignorant sales people I ever faced were at the local BMW dealership. One was trying to "help" me by saying I should just buy a BMW 330i instead of a 335i because it's the same thing, except that one is newer so they charger more for it... The other told me the new revolutionary bmw VANOS system doesn't use valves anymore so less friction in the engine = more fuel econ... to which I wanted to reply "if bmw removed the wheels from their cars, maybe that would reduce road noise".

1 - 20 of 25 Posts