Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can a functioning TPMS sensor be installed into a new wheel when all I am doing is swapping the wheel? The first time the sensor is installed it pops at a certain ft/lbs. and I was wondering if that essentially makes it impossible to reinstall....

I searched and could not find anyone that had to swap thier wheels, and tried to reuse the old TMPS sensor.

·
Super Moderator
1,219 Posts
The TPMS sensor should be able to be reused, as long as it is not damaged. The TPMS sensor shouldn't be popping. The tire will normally pop when you inflate it to seat the bead on the rim.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok so maybe it was more of a clicking sound when I tightened the nut on the valve stem.

·
Super Moderator
1,219 Posts
Ok so maybe it was more of a clicking sound when I tightened the nut on the valve stem.
Tire shops have TPMS sensor rebuild kits. They are typcially around $10 per tire and contain the parts that are exposed to the elements. They usually recommend rebuilding the sensors when installing new tires.

The key thing when installing TPMS sensors is to use a proper tool (an adjustable torque screwdriver or adjustable torque wrench that handles pound-inches....not pound-feet) when tightening the valve stem nut to spec, which is 36 lb-in.

Perhaps you tightened the valve stem nut too tight?

·
Super Moderator
13,638 Posts
What do you make of the hundreds of folks who dePaxed and reused their old sensors?

Also, please post in relevant forums. This belongs in the wheels forum. There are other forums other than 05 - 10. Right? :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Can a functioning TPMS sensor be installed into a new wheel when all I am doing is swapping the wheel? The first time the sensor is installed it pops at a certain ft/lbs. and I was wondering if that essentially makes it impossible to reinstall....

I searched and could not find anyone that had to swap thier wheels, and tried to reuse the old TMPS sensor.
George, Believe the click you are refurring to is the inner O-ring breaking on the inside of the nut. What I reading is that it's O.K., but some are using washers to make the grip thickness of the wheel the same as the original thickness. Let me see if I can link this post...
http://www.odyclub.com/forums/52-2005-2010-odyssey/46694-depax-right-way-detailed-how-article-2.html#post444217
read this and see the picture. I don't believe this o-ring is anything more than to keep it from being over tightened on the wheel it was designed for. I have not yet depaxed, so I may not be the right person to listen to. But this is the info I've gathered.
Infact I just became the latest sucker of the PAX wheels. Bought an '06 Touring with no idea. Which has been upsetting as I see myself as well knowledged on vehicles, but had no clue to look for this. I wish Honda atleast made there dealers inform there customers. I realize though that it would give none honda dealers an advantage in selling these PAX vehicles and I sure that's there underlining reason.
I noticed on you other posts that you recently went with the Sport edition SE-14. I like those wheels, but my wife is leaning towards the Sport Edition SX, but was hoping to find someone else that has used these wheels. I noticed that the MODA MD-10 and the SE-14 have an offset of 42, I know that some posts say that a 8" width is good for 50 and less offset. I wonder though do you know, read, or hear of anyone using a 8" wide wheel and 45mm offset?
This website has been a plethora of info. I can't believe I haven't found someone that's used The SX wheels.
Thanks, CC

·
Registered
16 Posts
Can't find edit post feature to negate my misunderstanding. Looks like the SE-14's do have a 45mm offset. So now I'm convinced I want the Sport Edition SX's from tire rack. I'll post pics when complete, hopefully not till fall or winter as I hope to get 15,000 miles on my current PAX tires. I have ordered my new TPMS sensors from honaautomotiveparts.com. May order the wheels soon to have ready for the transfer when needed.
Thanks to all on this site for sharing there info, success and fails.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts