Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I remember that this was discussed somewhere before. I remember that most said no, but some suggested that some quality CD-R may work. Any comment or success on this?

I am planning to have some long trip this spring break and want to play two PC-burnt CD's at the same time, one for kids and one for us.

------------------
2002 GG EXL RES

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I believe this can be done. I've burnt CDRs that work in the headunit and CDRW's that work in the DVD drive. Amazingly, the head unit will not play CDRW discs(so far I haven't been able to), and the DVD will not play CDRs!

I found that Imation and Memorex CDRW's work in the DVD drive so far. Memorex took a little longer than I'd expect to load, but worked the first time. The DVD demonstration disc says only prerecorded discs work, and that is just plain wrong.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've played CD-Rs in both the CD player and DVD player. I burn them at 2x or less because it seems to improve compatibility -- I don't know if it helped in this case or not.

The RES DVD player WILL NOT, however play DVD-RW (my set top Pioneer dvd player plays them fine). I have not tried a DVD-R yet.

------------------
2002 Mesa Beige EX-L-RES w/ misaligned, hard to close driver door

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now I tried you guys suggestions.

First, I tried CD-R at 2x without success. It can be played in RES CD player but not in RES DVD player.

Then, I tried CD-RW at 2x. Now it can be played in both RES CD and RES DVD players :), although it cannot be played in my home AIWA stereo system (could be played in home DVD player).

So, what is the rule? Looks like everyone got different results.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I'm still experimenting, but can you reveal the recorder you used and the brand/speed of media you used?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Well... the rule is reflectivity.

That is influenced by a variety of factors including media brand, media speed rating, dye-type, burner laser power calibration (influenced by brand and speed rating), burning speed, and surely others that I cannot think of right now.

Find a brand of CDR that seems to work well with your burner (plays in a lot of drives/players), and stick with it. If you notice they switch manufacturing methods, you may have to find a new brand.

I've had a lot of success with burning at 1x with my plextor burner. It seems to achieve maximum compatibility with a variety of media. 2x and up becomes more media-dependent. I have more time to let my computer burn unattended than I have to try to play CDs that don't work and retry until it does.

Carlos

·
Registered
111 Posts
Video CD

Here is another question. Has anyone tried or does anyone know if you can play Video CDs in the RES system. The manual says specifically that DVDs and Audio CDs can be used, but it says nothing about Video CDs.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Search for it on the audio-video forum. Several here have made VCDs that work in the RES DVD drive.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
pummal, which brand of CD-R worked for you?

I tried x1 today, but still no success. I use Verbatim CDR.
As for CD-RW, I used Nashua and it worked for RES unit at x2.
I burn them in Dell Dimention PC, I believe that the CD recorder unit is from Sony (Sony CRX140E).

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've had success with both Imation and Memorex.

I have a Plextor 4x CD-R drive, and typically use Nero or Easy CD Creator to burn.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts